Re: Never Forget...
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
I'll let The Clash speak for me once again

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 6:19 PM Quote
the late shows were so heartbreaking the night they came back.
The Ryan Adams video for New York always makes me sad. it was shot just before 9/11.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
the late shows were so heartbreaking the night they came back.
The Ryan Adams video for New York always makes me sad. it was shot just before 9/11.

Yeah, it was shot on the 7th! I remember that video. I remember when it came out I was like... whoa, this is eerie. And the song is so happy and great, but the video made me happy, and the lines, "I'll always love you though New York."

New York, New York - Ryan Adams

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 6:36 PM Quote
http://simonbillenness.blogspot.com/Since_1492_homeland_security.jpg

Dubz

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:57 PM Quote
They're going to show the news footage as it happened on MSNBC tonight. I watched some of it this morning. It played from 7:45 to 11 in the same time frame as the actual event.

NewBaby
NewBaby Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 4:46 AM Quote
I am like most people who still find it hard to put into words- I just felt empty and nervous and alone. and I lived in ohio!

anyway, my friends and I had planned to go to NYC to see Travis play at Radio City about 3 weeks after the attacks. I reminded my mom that I was planning to go and she sort of just gave me a look like, 'um, I don't think so daughter!' but, I told her, this is the safest the city is ever going to be and during those 3 weeks in between, rudy started telling everyone that their way of helping was to come back to the city. so, you got it rudy.(I had to calm my mom, because I was going regardless!) driving into the city I didn't feel scared at all. I have always loved NYC and if there was a way to wrap my arms around it, I would have. walking around was completely surreal. everyone was still just kind of in a daze and looked at one another with a kind of 'I know, I feel your pain too' way. definitely not the NYC I had traveled to before. and on a lighter note, the david letterman show was back on the air and begging people to come to the show- literally, a woman came up to us and asked us to go to the show, so we did(turns out my celeb crush john cusack was a guest! how awesome!)

I really appreciated the Travis show. concerts are always a somewhat cathartic experience, and this was just the most amazing way to get it all out. Fran kept his words about the attacks short. I image he, like most people, just couldn't find the right ones.(I am about 99% sure dougie was wearing his NEW YORK CITY tee ala john lennon) I have always been grateful that they didn't cancel the whole tour. I ended up seeing a few shows that fall and they were amazing. it was definitely what their American fans needed. so if you ever read this guys, thank you. simple, but genuine.

I visited NYC 4 times within a year of the attacks. the summer before, right after in Oct, march of 02 and May of 02. each time was amazingly different. the first time I took pictures of the skyline from ellis island and the film was black and white. when I went back in march, I took the same skyline picture only this time I used color film. I put the 2 photos next to each other and it's so bizarre- like the b&w one was our history, with the towers, but the color one was our new reality, without the towers.

anyway, I hope everyone remembered in their own ways today...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 4:52 AM Quote
I just watched the letterman clip with tears streaming down my face. It is as real today as it was 7 years ago.
But then i watched Dave go off on Bill O'Reilly and it made me feel better.

StaceFace
StaceFace Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:12 AM Quote
I'm just gonna skip reading all that and ask if anyone notices the starving to death Ethiopian kids?

kiwi
kiwi Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:13 AM Quote
StaceFace wrote:
I'm just gonna skip reading all that and ask if anyone notices the starving to death Ethiopian kids?

Hear hear!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:26 AM Quote
The first thing that the date "september 11" brings to my mind is the coup d'état against the democratic government of Salvador Allende in Chile on september 11, 1973.
Carried out by Augusto Pinochet and supported by the US (Henry Kissinger being a key character), this dictatorship lasted until 1990.

"I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its own people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves." — Henry Kissinger.
(Country's sovereignty? Who cares!).

This military regime of State Terrorism caused 3.000 deaths, 1.100 desaparecidos ("disappeared", people who are still missing), 104.000 tortured people, 500.000 Human Rights violations and 1.000.000 of ill-treated detainees, according to the Vicaría de la Solidaridad.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:28 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
The first thing that the date "september 11" brings to my mind is the coup d'état against the democratic government of Salvador Allende in Chile on september 11, 1973.
Carried out by Augusto Pinochet and supported by the US (Henry Kissinger being a key character), this dictatorship lasted until 1990.

"I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its own people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves." — Henry Kissinger.

This military regime of state terrorism caused 3.000 deaths, 1.100 desaparecidos ("disappeared", people who are still missing), 104.000 tortured people, 500.000 Human Rights violations and 1.000.000 of ill-treated detainees, according to the Vicaría de la Solidaridad.

I saw that in a news report. The hypocrisy in the world is astounding... no one talks of these things do they?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:32 AM Quote
kiwi wrote:

This military regime of state terrorism caused 3.000 deaths, 1.100 desaparecidos ("disappeared", people who are still missing), 104.000 tortured people, 500.000 Human Rights violations and 1.000.000 of ill-treated detainees, according to the Vicaría de la Solidaridad.

I saw that in a news report. The hypocrisy in the world is astounding... no one talks of these things do they?

there was a memorial for that today too over here in SF

kiwi
kiwi Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:35 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
kiwi wrote:

there was a memorial for that today too over here in SF

Oh, that's ok then.

StaceFace
StaceFace Posted Fri 12 Sep, 2008 5:39 AM Quote
They do shit then moan when people don't like them.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:06 AM