Travis

Re: keane new song spiralling
mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 04 Aug, 2008 9:06 PM Quote
I think they share the same "speedy" server that Travisonline used to use.....still haven't recieved the song...how long should it take?

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 12:19 AM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
I think they share the same "speedy" server that Travisonline used to use.....still haven't recieved the song...how long should it take?

in my case... inmediately!!!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 12:44 AM Quote
Wow this is definitely a marmite song - its so different to anything they're done before. I love it on first listen myself, I'm so excited for the new album! At the end of the day I think the fact they've pushed their comfort zone deserves respect, it's what good progressive musicians do. Unfortunately it could leave some fans alienated in the process, then again it'll pick a few more up too.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 2:59 AM Quote
I think that changing completely of style doesn't necessarely mean something good... or something bad.

In this case i think it's awful. I absolutely hate it.
It sounds like cheap '80s pop, so there's nothing new in it, though it is certainly new for the band.
The music is horrendous (that "woooooh"!!!).
On the other hand, the lyrics are great, but they get totally lost in that horrible music. Tom's singing is great too (sometimes it seems like he's trying to imitate Bowie, imho).
It's not that bad if you like that kind of '80s pop music. I really don't.
I saw a pic of them in The Sun and the artwork of the single and everything implies that that '80s element is characteristic of the new sound of the band.
I can only hope that the rest of the album sounds nothing like Spiralling.

I'm sorry if I sound too harsh, it's just that I'm sooo disappointed :o(

mili
mili Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 7:23 AM Quote
Quite surprising new style. I'm not too keen on the whooos, and the 80's style is a bit iffy, too. I don't miss Wham! etc. that much.
It might be a grower.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:16 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I think that changing completely of style doesn't necessarely mean something good... or something bad.

In this case i think it's awful. I absolutely hate it.
It sounds like cheap '80s pop, so there's nothing new in it, though it is certainly new for the band.
The music is horrendous (that "woooooh"!!!).
On the other hand, the lyrics are great, but they get totally lost in that horrible music. Tom's singing is great too (sometimes it seems like he's trying to imitate Bowie, imho).
It's not that bad if you like that kind of '80s pop music. I really don't.
I saw a pic of them in The Sun and the artwork of the single and everything implies that that '80s element is characteristic of the new sound of the band.
I can only hope that the rest of the album sounds nothing like Spiralling.

I'm sorry if I sound too harsh, it's just that I'm sooo disappointed :o(

I guess it depends whether you like cheap 80's pop lol. I think its quite a tongue in cheek sound though; I don't think it takes itself too seriously. But chin up, you might like the other tunes on the album. You never know, this might even grow on you.

milos
milos Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:41 AM Quote
I'm not the biggest Keane fan, although i do like some of their songs. However, the new song leaves me completely cold. I really don't like it. It has become a common thing today that if you want to be "taken seriously" you have to change your sound all the time, but to me it often sounds forced and unnatural.. This new Keane song is, in my opinion, a good example.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 12:24 PM Quote
Chris Moyles this morning said

"Oh well its free anyway if you want it" LOL

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 12:34 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I guess it depends whether you like cheap 80's pop lol.

I myself don't see what the fascination is with 80's and 70's style cheesy disco pop whatever revival. I mean I see all these people walking around with Dunlop satchels, Brown and Caramac coloured jackets trying to look "hip and cool". I used to hate when my mother tried to make me wear that shit to school. I lived through the 70's and 80's they were sh!te.

Dubz

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 1:02 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Quite surprising new style. I'm not too keen on the whooos, and the 80's style is a bit iffy, too. I don't miss Wham! etc. that much.
It might be a grower.

I don't like the "wooooooooooos" either. Maybe it'll be a grower...

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 1:52 PM Quote
I think it's quite dissapointing! They don't have to take a different way everytime they release a new record,do they? And 80's disco music? What does that have to do with Keane's style? I think I'll just stay as a fan of their old stuff, forever.

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 1:55 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Chris Moyles this morning said

"Oh well its free anyway if you want it" LOL

LOL

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 2:39 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I guess it depends whether you like cheap 80's pop lol.

I myself don't see what the fascination is with 80's and 70's style cheesy disco pop whatever revival. I mean I see all these people walking around with Dunlop satchels, Brown and Caramac coloured jackets trying to look "hip and cool". I used to hate when my mother tried to make me wear that shit to school. I lived through the 70's and 80's they were sh!te.

Dubz

In terms of the music I reckon during the 70's/80's people kinda overdosed on it 'cos it was the popular style of the time. But maybe younger generations like it 'cos they didn't have to live through it lol. I dunno, I don't exactly label myself an '80's disco' fan by any means. I just have a pretty wide taste in music. I don't really know or care what genre this Keane song is (or is parodying), I just quite like the sound. Dressing up in 80's fashion though... probably not such a good thing. :s

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
milos wrote:
I'm not the biggest Keane fan, although i do like some of their songs. However, the new song leaves me completely cold. I really don't like it. It has become a common thing today that if you want to be "taken seriously" you have to change your sound all the time, but to me it often sounds forced and unnatural.. This new Keane song is, in my opinion, a good example.

milos wrote:
It has become a common thing today that if you want to be "taken seriously" you have to change your sound all the time, but to me it often sounds forced and unnatural.. This new Keane song is, in my opinion, a good example.

Well said, Milos. I completely agree. Bands naturally progress and mature their sound after years and years of being together, performing live and turning out albums. I think change is great if it’s natural, but this seems very forced, like they just went into the studio and said “Ok…let’s sounds like a cross between The Killers and 80s pop music.”

I might have been too harsh with my first post by comparing it to video game music, lol! I heard it on Radio 1 this morning and it is actually catchy. It just doesn’t fit them....like they’re trying to be something they’re not. Hopefully it’ll grow on me. I do like it more today than yesterday.

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 6:51 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I do like it more today than yesterday.

That happened to me xD

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:28 AM