Travis

rage against the machine ( ie: my near death experience)
audrey
audrey Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 8:57 PM Quote
johanna, joe, jon, and i made the our usual yearly trip to chicago this weekend. johanna and i decided to go to lollapalooza, while joe and jon headed to the cubs games for the weekend. yesterday nan and i hung out at lolla pretty much all day. we saw a few awesome bands, some we knew, some we didnt. radiohead was amazing, as expected. its a different atmosphere than bonnaroo, but its not necessarily bad. today we walked around an shopped downtown before we headed over to see lupe fiasco. that was awesome. headlining band was rage against the machine. now, i knew it would be insane. i had no doubt... but nan and pushed our way up front. we were up front, but to the right a little bit. not in front of the rail, but close enough to see the band. it was already crowded before the band came on stage, enough that i was annoyed at every drunk frat boy that tried to push his way in front of me. by the time the band started, we were up closer and it was getting a little rowdy. there was a group of small kids in front of us and a couple of young girls next to us. clearly they had no idea what was going to happen. i didnt even know what was going to happen.

so the band started and immediately there was a surge from the back. next thing i know, i was slammed against every person around me, and could not move at all. i held on to johanna so that i wouldnt lose her. my arm was getting bent behind me, i thought it was going to break at one point. by the time that bulls on parade started to play, i had already worked my way over to the security to tell them to pull me out. i had to get out. i stopped breathing more than once and i knew it was only going to get worse. the only problem was, we couldnt get out. at this point, i was in survival mode. i was really sure we were going to die if we didnt get out. finally, security yanked me out by the top of my pants. johanna got out as well. then we tried getting up the steps that led out. the only problem was, no one was regulating the people going down the steps. next thing you know, there was almost a massive emergency because were people were falling backwards down the steps.

finally, we got out. we met joe and jon down the street where we could hear the band from outside the gate. there were about 1000 sitting around watching the video screens from outside. next thing you know, they all rushed the gate and ran in. it was chaos.

(http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/derogatis/1088782,lolla080308.article)

all i know is, im glad to be in my hotel room. who the hell knows what happened after everyone left. im glad i didnt stay to find out. lets hope nine inch nails tonight is a lot more laid back.

i hope ElspethOllie faired better than i last night.

Re: rage against the machine ( ie: my near death experience)
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 03 Aug, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
Yikes! That sounds very scary. They needed some better crowd control. Glad you made it out.

audrey
audrey Posted Mon 04 Aug, 2008 12:41 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Yikes! That sounds very scary. They needed some better crowd control. Glad you made it out.

i told the cops that, but the told me that it wasnt the police departments problem. weak.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 04 Aug, 2008 1:07 AM Quote
audrey wrote:

i hope ElspethOllie faired better than i last night.

Ha!

I did because I was safe in my home in Kansas.

I didn't make it to Lolla. I did look at the set list times, and if I remember correctly Wilco played the same time as Rage. I think I would have seen them instead.

I hope those other girls were all right.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 04 Aug, 2008 11:26 AM Quote
Ah the dangers of watching RATM.

audrey
audrey Posted Mon 04 Aug, 2008 3:47 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Ah the dangers of watching RATM.

yeah it was fucking crazy.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 04 Aug, 2008 10:14 PM Quote
Scary! I'm surprised Glady isn't mentioning his war injuries from his recent RAM experience.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2008 12:47 PM Quote
The Cookie Monster (a mate of mine) nearly got 7 kinds of sh!t kicked out of him by security while watching RATM finish off the Oxegen weekender a couple of weeks ago, mind you he was crowd surfing and winding them up. I was at the Leinster final with him a week later, he was still black and blue from his experience and he got kicked out after only four songs!!

Wouldn't be into that meself, but did go see SLF a couple of years ago, was quite sore the next morning.

Dubz

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:09 AM