Travis

Re: The Mixtape Exchange (THE DRAW)
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 1:42 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Bump

Where's everyone's reviews?

Moray reviewed mine in a PM. I told him to post it but he hasn't....I still have the message though. : )

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
spid wrote:
Bump

Moray reviewed mine in a PM. I told him to post it but he hasn't....I still have the message though. : )

Sorry Anne, I do have every intention of posting that review. My life is a hectic mess at the moment! Still haven't posted your cd yet!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 4:52 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Bump

Still waiting on my mixed CD! *ahem* I hope Tracey can post a review of my album..."Nikki's Groovy Mix"...I know, so creative. :P

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
Moray, it's OK. I'll give you a bit more time before I start really harassing you.

Nikki wrote:
I hope Tracey can post a review of my album..."Nikki's Groovy Mix"...I know, so creative. :P

Do you want Ric to pick on you? ; )

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Moray, it's OK. I'll give you a bit more time before I start really harassing you.

Nikki wrote:
I hope Tracey can post a review of my album..."Nikki's Groovy Mix"...I know, so creative. :P

Do you want Ric to pick on you? ; )

No, but he sure has been doing a lot of that lately! :(

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 19 Aug, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
i really need to post my review too! my evenings after work have been consumed with Olympic watching, so i will have to get on listening to the rest of the cd!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:54 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I will get around to doing it this weekend, if I can stay out of the pub.

Dubz

Done (eventually), will post it in the morning.

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 1:46 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
spid wrote:
Bump

As per Anne's request, here is my initial review of her dirty dozen (or fourteen) tracks. It needs more fleshing out probably, and Anne will need to fill in the blanks with the tracklisting. But it's something anyway. I'm totally hooked on spoon now by the way. Also, I'm keeping the stuff in Anne's letter just between me and her, haha. Except for the bit on the Gavin DeGraw song, where I was supposed to use it to win the hearts of Goosey &/or Megg:

ok,

Spoon - Cherry Bomb. This is a totally instant song. I can see me really listening to this. I was already hankering for more spoon after my first listen. I love the saxaphone. And also the first line in each verse, the way it starts falsetto and comes down

Jhn Legend - Each Day Gets Better. Totally no what I expected John legen would be like. Very Marvin gaye, What's Going on. I like.

Sixpence - I really love the drums. Sucks you in to it. Very unusual song

Fleming & John - Ugly Girl. best use of a xylophone in a song in ages!

Sixpence Tension is passing - I adore the guitar at the start of this song. It's some open string arrangement. It sounds like something, I can't quite put my finger on it. I really like it. Lights down low, this would be a great song

Love Song - F&J - agree, nice song! Simple guitar with it.

Tori Amos 1,000 oceans - I can see why it stops you in your tracks. Very haunting Piano.

John Legend - Again - Again, different to what I expected. I always thought he was like Jack Johnston. But he's not

Spoon - Underdog - I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG! I love the start. All that great bassy sax n stuff.

Sixpence. Paralyzed. Nice and Epic. Like

Tori Amos - nic tune. Bit Celine Diony though, but stays on the right side of the line!!

Gavin DeGraw - yes, very nice melody. Win goosey and megg, lol. It reminded me a little of Michael Buble!

John Legend - Show Me - yeah I can see the Hendrix Comparison. Guitar is also a little bit John Frusciante, chili peppers like. Again, unexpected! When I was singing I could have sworn it was jeff Buckley.

Robert PLant & Alison Krauss - Wasn't so sold on this one, but will give it another whirl!

Spoon Don't YOu Evah - Yes. I like this band now!

My morning Jacket - yes. very cool!

So I really liked it! It's made me worried though. Yours is much more credible than mine. Mine seems to verge a lot more into pop and cheese in bits. It's also a bit eclectic and schizophrenic. It seems to go off in loads of dirctions, whereas yours is very focused and works as an album! I'm worried what you will think now!

I think I'm going to make another compilaion cd now I'm more atuned to your tastes and how hey fit with mine!!!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 2:57 PM Quote
Glad Moray posted his review. You can probably figure this out but in some parts he's responding to how I described a song or said how it made me felt. Like 1,000 Oceans by Tori Amos never fails to stop me in my tracks. I tried to showcase some Austin bands (Spoon and Sixpence None the Richer) and then just some other acts that I like. They're not even necessarily my favorite acts, just what I like, thought he'd like, and fit together well. Here is a screen shot of the mix:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2796557926_b04735bda3.jpg?v=0

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:06 PM Quote
i was wondering what Gavin Degraw song it was. A person I only know bc im a loser and watch One Tree Hill.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:11 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
i was wondering what Gavin Degraw song it was. A person I only know bc im a loser and watch One Tree Hill.

I really like his first CD. I don't like the song I've heard from the second one and others I know who like him and bought it say it's way overproduced.

I think he decided to go the One Tree Hill route instead of sticking to his rawer sound.

Bummer.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
Why all the repeated band plays??

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:42 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I really like his first CD. I don't like the song I've heard from the second one and others I know who like him and bought it say it's way overproduced.

I think he decided to go the One Tree Hill route instead of sticking to his rawer sound.

Bummer.

That "Im in Love with a Girl" song makes me laugh. It sounds like a gay guy who is shocked to find out that he, infact, loves a girl!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
mozman68 wrote:

My focus was on giving a more rounded intro to some bands he hadn't heard of.

Kristy, LOL at your thoughts on "I'm in Love with a Girl". You're totally right, it does have that ring to it!

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:49 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
mozman68 wrote:

My focus was on giving a more rounded intro to some bands he hadn't heard of.

Kristy, LOL at your thoughts on "I'm in Love with a Girl". You're totally right, it does have that ring to it!

which totally worked by the way

I'll edit my post sometime to make it more coherent, with the actual tracks and songs in it!

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:30 PM