Travis

Re: The Dark Knight
sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Sun 27 Jul, 2008 8:50 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
fortysixand2 wrote:

First, I can compare a Batman movie to Memento since they are both "movies". In fact, I can compare any movie to any other one. Please read what I wrote once again before acting fanatically. The reason I said it was overrated and the reason I compared it to Memento is the same: the movie is on top of the "Best Movies Ever" in imdb.com. Whoa! Please, step back a little bit. Best movie ever? No way. It's a great movie which is as great as "Batman Begins" at best. I'm not doing popularity opposition. I'm just annoyed at how the recently released movies are being exagerrated.

Just because it's #1 on imdb doesn't mean anything. I think it's number one because it's a movie that a lot of people have seen and they took it upon themselves to vote. There are a lot of movies on that list that are better, but aren't or weren't shown as widely. If you noticed, they do the voting by average. A lot of those other movies have less than half of the votes that The Dark Knight goes (Memento is #29, side note). I don't think it's the best movie I've ever seen, but it's good in it's own genre. It's hard to compare it to my other favorite movies just because of the subject matter and genre. It's definitely my favorite comic book movie. Probably my favorite action movie.

I agree, Lauren. It's not my favorite movie by any means, but in the comic book movie genre, it's one of the best I've ever seen. The Batman series to me is the best of the comic book movies. Batman is just a cool character and the series has the most animated and memorable villains. I also liked the first Spiderman with Toby McGuire where they showed his transformation into Spiderman...but I didn't really like the sequels all that much.

I agree with parts of both argument but I want to ask:
"Why so serious?" muahaahhahhhahhhahhhaaa!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 27 Jul, 2008 3:11 PM Quote
Looks like Dougie is a fan as well. ;)

(New to the tour archive)....

http://i38.tinypic.com/wwdk3n.jpg

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 27 Jul, 2008 4:14 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

cause it's on a bacardi bottle

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Sun 27 Jul, 2008 7:05 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Yes! I saw that. Cool!
Bacardi is cool as well. Hmmmmm.....mojitos.......

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Jul, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

aww cute! and i could totally got for a Mojito...at 10am on a monday at work. hmm. Maybe I will wait a few hours to be more socially acceptable

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Jul, 2008 2:53 PM Quote
sorry. double post. Maybe I am drinking already.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 28 Jul, 2008 3:01 PM Quote
I never read any Batman comics, I never watched the show as a kid, but when the first movie came out it was hyped so much that I went to see it. I went to see it with my step-brother's girlfriend who was also not Batman-savvy. At one point, Batman was hanging off a ledge or something. I whispered to my s-b's girlfriend, "Why doesn't he just fly?" She whispered, "I don't know, I was thinking the same thing." We were both disappointed with the movie.

Years later, I told this to my husband who laughed and told me that Batman has no super-powers, that he's just a guy. He's just a guy? Yes, he's just a guy.

Oh. So, I was really let down. He's just a guy. I never cared to see any more Batman movies.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 28 Jul, 2008 3:01 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

you're drinking Canada dry ?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 28 Jul, 2008 5:56 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
minnmess wrote:

you're drinking Canada dry ?

hahaha, yup! drank the whole country dry! oh the lameness of that joke.

Like Kayte I didnt read or watch Batman (although i do remember occasionally seeing the show with the "bam" "pow" lol) and the only movie i saw was the one with Val Kilmer on a bus to Montreal in about grade 7. The only reason i went to this one was bc of Heath Ledger. I was plesently suprised how much i enjoyed it with my lack of Batman knowledge and the fact that I think the last action-y type movie i saw in the theatres was Men in Black, lol. I think it was bc the actual performances were good. It was just about explosions and guns. While Heath was amazing, so was everyone else. I even liked Maggie Gylenhaal. Maybe I have a soft spot for her since her brother is so hot! I thought she potrayed a good smart love interest and not just a helpful victim.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Tue 29 Jul, 2008 7:58 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Years later, I told this to my husband who laughed and told me that Batman has no super-powers, that he's just a guy. He's just a guy? Yes, he's just a guy.

Maybe just a guy, but what a guy!

Btw, compared to Iron Man, who is another ridiculously rich 'just a guy'kinda hero Batman is waaayyy much cooler (nothing against Robert Downey Jr. I like him a lot as an actor)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 09 Dec, 2008 11:49 AM Quote

I watched this last night, after all the hype has died down it was quite good. However Keith Ledger oscar material, I think not, all he did was take The Joker a step further by loosing less of the fun side of Nicholson's interpretation and adding a Vincent Price voice. That said it is a very good performance, but not Oscar worthy I'm afraid.

I do remember how shocked people were when Tim Burton's "New" Batman came out in 1989 (we had only had the camp 60's version before then), All the reviews at the time reckoned that Jack Nicholson as the (evil,twisted) Joker outshone completely Michael Keaton's Batman. Everyone was mentioning how scary Jack was. I do forget that a lo of people on the board are a bit younger and therefore do not know what it was like before Tim Burton's version. This was the film that meant superhero fims could be dark and I suppose that the original Burton version must seem extremely tame by today's standards.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 19 Apr, 2009 1:48 AM Quote

Just watched this again...

I reckon it's about 30mins too long, conservative estimate 20 mins but deffo far too long. Though it is still very good.

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 12:03 AM