Travis

Re: Do you reckon....
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 2:03 PM Quote
Some great points by everyone. :) I think we all have pretty much the same opinions. :)

And yes, TBWNN sold a lot less than 12 Memories (as far as I know, about half!) which is very disappointing. Ode To J Smith can be successful if it is promoted and the correct singles released. :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 7:48 PM Quote
lost-angel wrote:

I really regret that I haven’t discover them a long time ago. It might be an error on my part but the blame goes both ways.

There was life before TBWNN! Not sure if you're aware, but the first album was Good Feeling, released late 90's. Then The Man Who, then The Invisible Band, then 12 Memories, then the Singles Collection. Which brings us up to date.

It's not a question of blame. I came to know and love Elbow upon release of their 3rd album (they've now done 4). That's nobody's fault - In 2006 I got to know someone who loves Elbow!!!!! Lucky for me that I did!!!!! The back catalogue is amazing.

So using the same argument, go check out the old Travis stuff and enjoy it. Don't think about the time you've missed. Just savour the music.

Try and catch them live too, if you can. There should be some dates later this year. Good chance to hear the old stuff with an audience. Can't be beaten :)

mili
mili Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
12 memories wasn't at all advertised in Finland, and to be honest, I only found it after TBWNN! Considering I had had all the pre-12 memories albums for years… I suppose the kids were tiny and I just blinked at the wrong time to miss it.

I really hope Ode to J Smith gets enough attention, Travis really deserves it!

rebekah
rebekah Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 9:28 PM Quote
mili wrote:
I really hope Ode to J Smith gets enough attention, Travis really deserves it!

well said :)

whether they do..is a different matter!!

(:

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 21 Jun, 2008 9:49 PM Quote
It's partly up to themselves or whatever record company they sign too. :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 22 Jun, 2008 12:44 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Or even IF they sign to a record co.....I got the impression from that Sky Arts programme that it's not in the plan.

Apologies if I've misunderstood.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 22 Jun, 2008 12:53 AM Quote
Tonie wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Or even IF they sign to a record co.....I got the impression from that Sky Arts programme that it's not in the plan.

I saw that. Maybe you're right. J Smith is through their own, but i assumed they'd sign up to someone for the album. I've been thinking recently actually that they might not. I know very little about that side of things but to me, it seems obvious they can't make it big again by themselves. What do you think?

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Tonie wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

I saw that. Maybe you're right. J Smith is through their own, but i assumed they'd sign up to someone for the album. I've been thinking recently actually that they might not. I know very little about that side of things but to me, it seems obvious they can't make it big again by themselves. What do you think?

I'm no expert, so I'm really not in a position to make a sweeping remark. All I'd say is the logic suggests that a record label would provide publicity and support pre-launch that they'd otherwise miss out on.

I'd hate to think that another album doesn't sell too well, for whatever reason.

Perhaps the future will bring download-only material, which won't rely so heavy on the publicity machine of the big boys at the record cos.

That's me putting 2 + 2 and getting 5, so don't take it as anything other than the ramblings of a crazy woman! :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:25 PM Quote
I'm no expert too but i think you're right. :)

I'd hate download only. That would be quite sad and no way would they get a big album then.

We'll have to wait and see, we should get some news soon.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 24 Jun, 2008 9:50 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I'm no expert too but i think you're right. :)

I'd hate download only. That would be quite sad and no way would they get a big album then.

We'll have to wait and see, we should get some news soon.

We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, so there could be any number of negotiations going on with record labels as we speak. Who knows????

Let's not be sad. The sun is shining (well it is here in London), and there's some new Travis material on the way. As long as I can sunbathe and the band is still belting out new stuff I'm a happy bunny. Things could be worse!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 24 Jun, 2008 12:49 PM Quote
Absolutely. :) I dreamt last night that I had download the J Smith EP. Get Up sounds nothing like it does live. Haha. Didn't get to hear Sarah but after being chased by some bad guys and seeing a man eaten by a crocodile, and a lot more exciting stuff, I played Sing on the guitar and drums at the same time. ;) Mad.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 24 Jun, 2008 2:08 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Absolutely. :) I dreamt last night that I had download the J Smith EP. Get Up sounds nothing like it does live. Haha. Didn't get to hear Sarah but after being chased by some bad guys and seeing a man eaten by a crocodile, and a lot more exciting stuff, I played Sing on the guitar and drums at the same time. ;) Mad.

lol :)

See, now you're just showing off - I've never heard any of those songs..... :(

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 24 Jun, 2008 2:22 PM Quote
Hopefully soon... Maybe... :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 8:56 PM