Travis

Re: Viva la Vida...Thoughts?
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 9:54 AM Quote

I'd go further than that...

Stuff Middle Class, Desperately trying to be Trendy but at the same time Staying Safe White People like

Coldplay are sh!te end of story.

1. They are insipid, bland and twee. There songs all sound exactly the same as they are worked out to a formula which very obviously sells.

2. They have become a pastiche of the Indie scene package and sold to everyone who would like to be hip but want to remain trendy, Guardian Readers, Accountants, Lawyers, basically people who want to retain there rebelious youth but at the same time don't want to be ostrized for doing so.

3. They make absolutely no contribution to music as a band, they inspire no one, they break down no boundries, they explore no new parameters.

4. I have said this before but... Chris Martin does suck the farts out of dead seagulls

5. Music is supposed to evoke emotions otherwise there is no point in listening to it, is ennui an emotion ?? Most of my heros are from the music industry because they dared tio be different, Hendrix, Bowie, Cocteau Twins, Mogwai, etc etc.

6. This is not an one sided rant I am willing to listen to arguement for I just can see no defence for a band as packaged, safe and boring as fucking Coldplay, everyone laughed at Stock, Aitken and Waterman back in the day, They have returned, Coldplay is the proof, they have just changed their demographics and stayed behind the scenes.

7. Chris Martin does actually have a bit of talent and a not bad voice but what does he choose to do with it... Make insip crap like Viva la Vida, Yellow was an amazing single, it stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it, This has been wasted and that is probably the biggest crime of all, How can someone with this gift waste it so uselessly

8. I have also listened to the album and I think with the exception of the single that's doing the rounds at the moment, it's self absorbed bullshit, Martin get your head oot yer arse, you are not a genius you are an unimportant wankstain who is revered through mediocrity. Again if you disagree then prove me wrong, do something with your voice and your talent.

"Fuck Coldplay, Fuck them up their Stoopid Asses." Jay & Silent Bob

Dubz

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:51 AM Quote
what a lot of bollocks to both !

why can't music be enjoyed without having to get so analytical and emotional about it ?? *sigh*

live and let live I'd say :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:55 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:
what a lot of bollocks to both !

why can't music be enjoyed without having to get so analytical and emotional about it ?? *sigh*

live and let live I'd say :)

Yeah you are probably right... but it's kinda difficult when the feckers are fecking everywhere at the moment.

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 2:21 PM Quote
You could just have said "I'm not really a fan" ;o) I guess they fall into the same category as Paul McCartney.

To be a bit balanced, I'm not sure how you fail to emote to Coldplay? And yet list Mr Androgeneous himself, Bowie, as someone you emote to? Unless your day to day emotions include wondering what life is like if you were an alien living in space, getting in touch with your pal Major Tom who works the local air traffic control centre.

Also, I hate this label "Guardian reader". So when it comes to musical tastes or anything 'arts' related, being a Guardian reader is bad, is it implies you're overly high browed?? Beats being a "Daily Mail Reader" when it comes to politics, I guess. Makes no sense.

Anyway, seems you're mixing up your feelings for the music with your feelings for the band, the lead singer, the type of person you associate with enjoying the band, and popular opinion of whats cool. The music is good, mainstream or not. It's popular for a reason.

To go off on a tangent, Megg's article entitled - "Things White People Like". I'm really lost when it comes to following what is / isn't PC anymore. I'm assuming we'd never get away with a blog entitled "Things Black People Like"?? Is it ok because white people are the one's who originally did the persecuting, so we're poking fun at ourselves with a degree of irony when we talk about things white people like?? Is it ok because it's not commonly associated as being 'bad' racism?? I don't know.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 3:43 PM Quote
Bowie is as mad as a box of frogs but his music has feeling, it evokes emotions... Life on Mars for example I have no idea what he's talking about but it is a beautiful record. Queen Bitch has a sort of marching/swaying beat, I don't think it's supposed to but it makes me feel good.

I have no problem with Guardian readers in general, what I do have a problem with is "sheep" the type of reader who has to be told what to like, make up your own mind you spineless twat. There is plenty of sh!t I like that most people will hate, Rolf Harris, Mogwai, Penguin Cafe Orchestra but I like it because I do. Not because a newspaper and/or society tells me. Unfortunately Coldplay fit very nicely into this bracket, people have been covering songs on Classical style guitars for years but it takes the likes of the Guardian to mention Rodrigo e Gabrielle before anyone will give it the time ? Buena Vista Social Club anyone ??

And also I'm sure Nikki could tell you my views on most Newspapers, Reporters do not report anymore, especially the Mail, Sun, Mirror, etc. it's opinion and editorials. the Irish Times is probably the only quality newspaper I've come across and even it is going downhill. but I am hoping she will prove me very wrong by becoming popular for her honest, truthful reporting in a world full of Piers Morgan's

Dubz

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 4:09 PM Quote
As much as you're opening doors to new music by saying you like stuff because you 'do' you're closing off just as many because you're saying you don't like Coldplay due to who they are, what they represent and what kind of popular demographic listens to them. All of that is irrelevant.

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 4:11 PM Quote
ha, I just got my mobile out and I have a text from my dad saying "I think the new Coldplay album is really good". So there you go.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
As much as you're opening doors to new music by saying you like stuff because you 'do' you're closing off just as many because you're saying you don't like Coldplay due to who they are, what they represent and what kind of popular demographic listens to them. All of that is irrelevant.

That is a very good point, however, I would argue that the type of music that I am closing doors on is in fact either "safe" or "boring" or both in which case I'm not really missing much, but I do agree maybe I should be a bit more open minded...

Nah Fuck It, I'm gonna stay an opinionated fecker!!

Dubz

p.s. excellent text !!

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 6:15 PM Quote
For the first time, a Coldplay album is on the top of the Spanish chart.

http://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttp://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttp://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttp://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

People in Spain are changing their musical taste. Thank God! :p

MikeCALIFTRAVIS
MikeCALIFTRAVIS Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
I bought Viva La Vida, just the song, after a few listens,
sounds good to me.

Sounds like Coldplay. The group seems to be getting better as time passes, which is good.

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 6:38 PM Quote
The whole album is amazing :)

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Wed 25 Jun, 2008 9:07 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
For the first time, a Coldplay album is on the top of the Spanish chart.

http://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttp://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttp://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gifhttp://www.teenfront.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

People in Spain are changing their musical taste. Thank God! :p

Good news!i bought it!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:24 AM Quote
MikeCALIFTRAVIS wrote:
I bought Viva La Vida, just the song, after a few listens,
sounds good to me.

Sounds like Coldplay. The group seems to be getting better as time passes, which is good.

the whole album is brilliant! I like the great variety of sounds and Viva La Vida has become my fave

MikeCALIFTRAVIS
MikeCALIFTRAVIS Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
Ya..I bought a few more songs off ITUNES. Have to say, really good stuff here. I like 42, Life In Technicolor, Viva La Vida...so far..good stuff.

That J.Smith song from Travis is growing on me too.

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
42 reminds me of Radiohead... Don't know why ^^

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:29 AM