Travis

Last fm
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 11:09 PM Quote
Travis' Last.fm page has quite a few comments about J Smith as well. Funny how a radio play can spread so fast. Can't help but feel it'll end up on YouTube one way or another. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/5-Confused.gif

Only problem is everyone seems to think it's a single now when it hasn't been confirmed at all. But hey I guess it's all good publicity for the band. I've a feeling this new album has the potential to create far more impact that its predecessor.

Re: Last fm
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 11:33 PM Quote
I'm sure other people who've heard the songs will also say that I find it very hard to believe that this album won't sell more than The Boy. I would be amazed if it doesn't go platinum here which is 300,000 copies I believe. I just can't see the album not being more successful. The songs are too good, too interesting and too rocky to be ignored. I think it'll reach The Boy's sales quite quickly.

I see another comment on that site saying 'the song is ok but they should take out the creepy choir. Its just weird' Arghh! Sooo annoys me. It is songs like J Smith and moments like the choir that are going to bring success back to the band. And its moments like that that the band need to explore more of if they're going to grow as musicians and as a band. That choir makes J Smith (along with Andy's guitar and the Latin) the song it is and I LOVE it.

Come on Travis!!! :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 11:56 PM Quote
It'd be interesting to see the sales statistics of Travis' albums, but I don't know where I'd find them. Probably on 'tinternet somewhere... How successful was TBWNN sales-wise, did it sell more than 12 Memories?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 12:14 AM Quote
The Man Who went 9x platinum although I think it might have just reached 10x which is 3million. These are UK sales. The Invisible Band went 4 or 5 I think so about 1.5million. 12 Memories went platinum but The Boy didn't even reach platinum. Don't think The Boy sold much more than Good Feeling. It says on Wikipedia and I believe even links you to a more credible (is that the word?) website. My personal hope is that Ode To J Smith will reach 2x platinum which is the same as the last Muse album. They don't sell as many albums as you might think.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 12:23 AM Quote
On the Travis wikipedia page. Look on the Travis discography section and next to the album says the award for the album and next to that there's a number. Click! :) Quite interesting. Not only says how many times platinum (or only gold in Good Feeling and The Boy's case) but when they reached those sales. Good Feeling took a few years to go gold whereas The Boy took a week or so. Just goes to prove that people who bought the album, bought it on release and then it just slipped away. Reached 100,000 in 11 days but still now has not reached 300,000.

Travis need to learn from the mistakes that were made. My Eyes didn't reach the top 40 because only us lot on here bought it. Don't think it even reached the top 100 on iTunes although maybe I'm wrong.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 12:41 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
On the Travis wikipedia page. Look on the Travis discography section and next to the album says the award for the album and next to that there's a number. Click! :) Quite interesting. Not only says how many times platinum (or only gold in Good Feeling and The Boy's case) but when they reached those sales. Good Feeling took a few years to go gold whereas The Boy took a week or so. Just goes to prove that people who bought the album, bought it on release and then it just slipped away. Reached 100,000 in 11 days but still now has not reached 300,000.

Travis need to learn from the mistakes that were made. My Eyes didn't reach the top 40 because only us lot on here bought it. Don't think it even reached the top 100 on iTunes although maybe I'm wrong.

Cool thanks for the info. Yeah TBWNN had no momentum, which was probably in no small part due to the naff promotion.

I'm sure Ode to J Smith will have a bit more longevity... if the general public actually take note of its existence that is.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 12:57 AM Quote
Exactly. No promotion what so ever after that first couple of weeks. No wonder the last 2 singles did poor. No point, and I mean no point, in releasing a single when you do as much promotion as they did when they released My Eyes. Absolute waste of time, money and anything else you can think of.

I don't know if those stats are totally true although I know The Man Who is correct which suggests the others are too. Song To Self, Long Way Down, J Smith are just 3 I think will be good singles. They're all rockier than anything on The Boy with the possible exception of Eyes wide open.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 1:21 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Travis' Last.fm page has quite a few comments about J Smith as well. Funny how a radio play can spread so fast. Can't help but feel it'll end up on YouTube one way or another. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/5-Confused.gif

Only problem is everyone seems to think it's a single now when it hasn't been confirmed at all. But hey I guess it's all good publicity for the band. I've a feeling this new album has the potential to create far more impact that its predecessor.

A very important radio station in Argentina (Rock & Pop) played the song last week, according to my sister's friend. Apparently they played a bit of the song, like saying it was an exclusive thing. I have no idea how the song got there just a day or two after it was aired in that show in the US. There must be a Travis fan working at that radio station...

milos
milos Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 11:22 AM Quote
TBWNN has sold 425000 copies worldwide according to this site. http://www.worldwidealbums.net/

I found this site a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. I don't really care about the record sales as long as the music is good. I love both 12 Memories and The Boy With No Name. The fact that they didn't sell quite as much as The Man Who or The Invisible Band doesn't change anything. But then again, they definitely deserve to be more successful and i'm sure that with the new album they will!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
Up to a point you're right. Sales don't matter, really. But the sales of The Boy really isn't very many is it. At all. :( I think to the band it does mean something. Things they've said in interviews and the fact that, after 12 Memories they realised they needed to make a Travis album that everyone will like. Like The Man Who and The Invidible Band. Get a load of strong songs and release it when its ready and brilliant. It'll be successful. But no, unfortunately. Not sales wise. Its a great album. So they thought ok, let's get in the studio, show people we can rock! As we've seen with the sales, The Boy started ok. But it couldn't go anywhere. Dread to think how many it sells every week now.

Ode To J. Smith will be more successful. 2x platinum here hopefully. Within a year. :)

rebekah
rebekah Posted Sun 11 May, 2008 2:38 PM Quote
Im really suprised about TBWNN's sales...i thougt it was WAYYYYY more :s
I liked it all the same :)
I don't know about the new albums success though..i think it could go both ways..people might be getting fed up by now (which is stupid but heyho) or they might think it is absoloutely WICKKEEDD!! (which i think ;) )..so yaa..not sure..
x

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 8:08 AM