Re: USA Elections
minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
no

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I leaning towards McCain, he mighy be a carazy motherfucker but I am sick to death about this election being turned into minority squabbles, Women, Blacks, etc. Here's a crazy kooky idea how about you vote for the person you think most capable of running the country regardless of sex, colour, creed or what-fucking-ever fucked up bullshit reason you see fit.

Mind you this is the country who returnded Bush so I ain't got much hope.

This clearly tells us you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

I'm not picking Obama because he's black. You could liken this to saying I would have picked Jesse Jackson in 1984 if I was alive, and to that I say, like hell I would've.

And as for the Bush comment, I really don't see how you can take a stab at us by saying that when you'd want to vote for McCain, who is basically a different candidate with the same policies, and an idiotic running mate who is less qualified to be a PTA mom much less the Vice President of the United States.
If John McCain is elected, and something happens to him (god forbid, I don't want to wish ill will on anyone) then it's President Palin. That scares the hell out of me, and it should scare the hell out of you too. This woman was picked for political sway, not for her experience. She can't name a single supreme court case to save her life, and she makes Tina Fey look legit (which is never a good thing).

So go do some reading, and then we can talk.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:40 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I leaning towards McCain, he mighy be a carazy motherfucker but I am sick to death about this election being turned into minority squabbles, Women, Blacks, etc. Here's a crazy kooky idea how about you vote for the person you think most capable of running the country regardless of sex, colour, creed or what-fucking-ever fucked up bullshit reason you see fit.

I'm not picking Obama because he's black. You could liken this to saying I would have picked Jesse Jackson in 1984 if I was alive, and to that I say, like hell I would've.

And as for the Bush comment, I really don't see how you can take a stab at us by saying that when you'd want to vote for McCain, who is basically a different candidate with the same policies, and an idiotic running mate who is less qualified to be a PTA mom much less the Vice President of the United States.
If John McCain is elected, and something happens to him (god forbid, I don't want to wish ill will on anyone) then it's President Palin. That scares the hell out of me, and it should scare the hell out of you too. This woman was picked for political sway, not for her experience. She can't name a single supreme court case to save her life, and she makes Tina Fey look legit (which is never a good thing).

Lauren, I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with you 100 percent.

Dubz, do you realize how backwards your above statement was? You call McCain a "carazy motherfucker," yet you'd vote for him if you were an American citizen because you're sick of minority squabbles. Here's a crazy, kooky idea for you...maybe Barack Obama IS the best choice to a lot of people...despite his skin color. And if you feel that returning Bush to power was a bad idea, why would you want four more years of the same BS with McCain?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:48 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

It's interesting to see that you have taken this personally, I was referring to American society in general and not the small minority, such as your learned self.

Are you trying to tell me that some Redneck from Butt-Fuck Alabama is going to vote for Obama ? Even if he gave out free pick ups to rednecks they wouldn't do it, Why do you think your fellow countrymen decided to re-elect Bush seriously if he could run another term he'd probably get straight back in. Unfortunately most Americans are mis informed and will vote on "personalities" instead of policies and manifestos.

I'm rather offended by your post suggesting I don't know what "The Fuck" I'm talking about, I've read up plenty in the broadsheets over here. Everytime I pick up a paper that focuses on the debates they focus not on the policies but on how they will look and handle each other or the crowd, i.e. The Black Vote or the Women's Vote. For example last nights debate with Palin was all about how Biden would handle her if he was too agressive women would see him as being sexist. wtf??

Dubz

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:52 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
[quote="ricv64"]
I still find it uncomfortable that you can choose between two candidates only, though.

Juli,

I agree with you 100%. The two party system is one we've had in the US forever and it kind of stinks. Ralph Nader probably would make a good president. He's done great work with the FDA and other non profit organizations. But, people don't know this because he's not associated with either of the two parties. So... yeah.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:58 PM Quote
I also think you missed the point of my post,

1. I can't Vote in this election so it's an observation

2. The observation made was simply opinion that the whole system is fucked up

3. The observation made was an critism on the American voting society not just our colleagues on the Travis board (but it is interesting to see you take it so personally)

"Every country gets the goverment it deserves" - Aristotle

good luck

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:00 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
[quote="ricv64"]
I still find it uncomfortable that you can choose between two candidates only, though.

Juli,

I agree with you 100%. The two party system is one we've had in the US forever and it kind of stinks. Ralph Nader probably would make a good president. He's done great work with the FDA and other non profit organizations. But, people don't know this because he's not associated with either of the two parties. So... yeah.

2 parties is kinda ridiculous. agreed.
But on the flip side we have 5 main parties right now, which often results in a minority governement which means ass hat nothing gets accomplished.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:04 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

It's interesting to see that you have taken this personally, I was referring to American society in general and not the small minority, such as your learned self.

Are you trying to tell me that some Redneck from Butt-Fuck Alabama is going to vote for Obama ? Even if he gave out free pick ups to rednecks they wouldn't do it, Why do you think your fellow countrymen decided to re-elect Bush seriously if he could run another term he'd probably get straight back in. Unfortunately most Americans are mis informed and will vote on "personalities" instead of policies and manifestos.

I'm rather offended by your post suggesting I don't know what "The Fuck" I'm talking about, I've read up plenty in the broadsheets over here. Everytime I pick up a paper that focuses on the debates they focus not on the policies but on how they will look and handle each other or the crowd, i.e. The Black Vote or the Women's Vote. For example last nights debate with Palin was all about how Biden would handle her if he was too agressive women would see him as being sexist. wtf??

Dubz

Oh, I didn't take it personally. Just got fired up.

And sorry for the "fuck." Once again, fired up.

I really don't know why people elected Bush to a second term. I was 16 at the time so I couldn't vote. I just wanted to know how you could say you're going to vote for McCain when A) He has Sarah Palin and
B) When he's going to implement a lot of the same policies as Bush.

I do agree with you in the sense that people are identifying with race and sex, which is why McCain picked Palin. I think he wanted to sway some of the PUMA's that had jumped ship from the democratic party. Which is absurd because Palin stands everything that Hilary is against. So it'd really really surprise me if some
Hilary supporters still decided to vote for McCain even after the showing (or lack thereof) that Palin has put on.

As for the south, I really don't know how it's going to play out. Due to the electoral college vote it might not even matter.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:08 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

"Are you trying to tell me that some Redneck from Butt-Fuck Alabama is going to vote for Obama ?"

What?!? Dubz, she didn't say that at all. Where in Lauren's comment did she say anything about that? There are a lot of uninformed, bigoted people across this country who will surely vote for McCain because they're afraid of a black President. Many of those people reelected Bush. We're not saying that there aren't idiots out there, but Lauren wasn't even talking about that. She was talking about your reasoning for leaning towards McCain being fucked up because 1) you said yourself that it was a bad choice to reelect Bush and McCain has a LOT of the same political beliefs and 2) your choice would be based on your annoyance with minority squabbling and people should just pick the best candidate regardless of color or sex..yet that best candidate IS Obama for many people.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:16 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

Oh, I didn't take it personally. Just got fired up.

And sorry for the "fuck." Once again, fired up.

I really don't know why people elected Bush to a second term. I was 16 at the time so I couldn't vote. I just wanted to know how you could say you're going to vote for McCain when A) He has Sarah Palin and
B) When he's going to implement a lot of the same policies as Bush.

I do agree with you in the sense that people are identifying with race and sex, which is why McCain picked Palin. I think he wanted to sway some of the PUMA's that had jumped ship from the democratic party. Which is absurd because Palin stands everything that Hilary is against. So it'd really really surprise me if some
Hilary supporters still decided to vote for McCain even after the showing (or lack thereof) that Palin has put on.

As for the south, I really don't know how it's going to play out. Due to the electoral college vote it might not even matter.

Thanks,

I probably wouldn't vote in the election, or I'd spoil my paper. The McCain thing is probably more of a backlash with the whole Clinton/Obama thing, I just don't trust the pair of them, I reckon both of them are power hungry (not that McCain isn't) and will say/do anything to get into the Whitehouse. From what we get over here it seems that McCain is more WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

And I apologize, it is your country and homeland so I wish you continued success for the future whomever is in the hotseat.

Dubz

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Thanks,

I probably wouldn't vote in the election, or I'd spoil my paper. The McCain thing is probably more of a backlash with the whole Clinton/Obama thing, I just don't trust the pair of them, I reckon both of them are power hungry (not that McCain isn't) and will say/do anything to get into the Whitehouse. From what we get over here it seems that McCain is more WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

And I apologize, it is your country and homeland so I wish you continued success for the future whomever is in the hotseat.

Dubz

I don't think McCain is so, as you put it, WYSIWYG. The Palin move was an attempt to secure the presidency at any cost as well and an attempt to capture swing voters. Which was kind of a backlash because it's a complete insult to not only people who are apart of the Republican party but the whole country. I can't believe this woman was considered.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:32 PM Quote

You are probably correct on this... but it's just the feeling I get, I really have no hard proof to back it up. It's just a feeling... Sorry

Dubz

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 7:55 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

You are probably correct on this... but it's just the feeling I get, I really have no hard proof to back it up. It's just a feeling... Sorry

Dubz

I can't fight this feeling! Deep inside of me!

Anyways, well that turned out better then I expected. I thought I was going to have to get in it with you. Glad we both made our points without it getting (too) ugly.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:40 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
there is a youtube clip where they have made a trailor to a movie with that Matt Damon premise.

Found it!

Head of Skate

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 04 Oct, 2008 12:45 AM Quote

This is funny

Hockey Moms Against Sara Palin

Pages Previous 1...8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:49 AM