Travis

Re: The olympic flame put out in Paris
deebee
deebee Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 2:25 PM Quote
My husband ran with the flame back in the 1992 winter olympics in France - there was a back up flame for that!

Delia24Oct07
Delia24Oct07 Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:51 PM Quote
Ah, finally someone started a discussion about it, when I did a few weeks ago, nobody answered...

I grew up next to many Exil-Tibetans and so I know much about their culture and their former life in Tibet (I also read a few books about it).
What's happening now is just... terrible. And what we come to know here is just very, very little! I recently talked to a Tibetan when I was at a demonstration in Zurich and he said, that in the prisons, when some journalists or whatever arrives, they clean everything, put in new beds and everything and it all looks perfect, but when they're gone, they torture on. Just terrible! And now they don't even allow visitors to go to Tibet, now how should we know about what's going on there? It makes me sick to think about all the dead and prisoners over there!
There's a saying: "Tibetan screams don't fly across the Himalayas" and this is exactly what's happening now.
I don't blame the normal Chinese people for it, the most of them don't know what's really happening at their neighbours either, but I do blame the government!!!! How dare they to allow this! How dare they to blame His Holyness the Dalai Lama for this! How dare they even to know about it and don't stop and just keep telling that bloody crap???!! Because the official messages are mostly wrong!

And now they start argueing about that f**** Olympic flame and the "mean, violent Tibetans" who dare to demonstrate! How, I ask you, how can the Olympic games be more worth than the life of all the people in Tibet, their culture and their religion? Because that is what the Chinese are destroying (or nearly full destroied) in Tibet. Forget about the rescue-thing they love to tell!

I don't think that it would be a good thing to boycot the Olympic games, because they would blame the Tibetan for that and it would become even worse and it would also not be fair for all the athletics. But I am proud of the guys who demonstrate all the way of the Olympic flame! It's a good sign.

Frenchygirl
Frenchygirl Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 8:11 PM Quote
I think what happened was good, maybe not enough ..
Anyway, some people only think for theirself, and i hate it ! (examples of some french athlets who only think of going to Pekin, even if people are dying in Tibet..)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 8:12 PM Quote
Apparently Mr.Swan had already said everything I was planning to add here.

I'm happy it was decided that none of the members of the Polish government will attend the Games. We're not officially boycotting though.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 10:03 PM Quote
the runner had their civil rights trashed

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 10:55 AM