Travis

Re: The BBC: how they piss you off
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
Oh my god, the Grandstand theme has actually made me cry on several occaisions!!

Geek, yes.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:57 PM Quote
I love that Jeremy Paxman brings these fucking know-all students down a peg or two. Jeremy Clarkson is brilliant too. Regardless of whether you agree with his political persuasions and so on, you have to concede that he is a great presenter.

I don't quite know what you mean by the countdown shows, all the one's I've seen have been broadcast on Channel 4 and E4, these channels are owned by companies that do not see a penny of your licence fee.

Also remember that for every program you moan about (Interestingly you haven't mentioned one single BBC programme, preferring to refer to it as 'crap TV'), there is pure brilliance available on the BBC. Blue Planet, Planet Earth, anything David Attenborough has touched really. That's just a start. If I really bothered, I could name loads more, but you've been lazy, so shall I then.

Increased licence fee? Wow. Does a pint of milk cost the same as it did 10 years ago then? Or a television? Or presenters/researchers/camera crew's wages? Add that to the fact that the BBC now has many more channels than the two it broadcasts on terrestrial TV with, along with loads more radio stations, and you can see where the money goes.

I'm not picking on you, I just think your original post was hideously badly thought out, let's hope that you'd been on the Newcastle Brown Ale ice cream before you composed it.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:02 PM Quote
woah Esteban, that's harsh!!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
As if you'd expect anything else ;-)

Just my view. It's not rude, but it's also not sugar-coated, and I'm sure Joe wouldn't want it to be, he's a big boy too.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:09 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
I love that Jeremy Paxman brings these fucking know-all students down a peg or two. Jeremy Clarkson is brilliant too.

You forgot to drag out the other student bashing cliches, including (but not limited to) soap dodging, tax dodging, sponging off the state, lazy, scum. I like University Challenge.

The more I watch Jeremy Clarkson, the more I think he is an ill informed, childish, right wing facist, arrogant fool. Can't stand watching him!

Anyway, BBC2 also produces some amazing comedy over the years, e.g. The Office, Extras, Never Mind the Buzzcocks. And BBC3 is continuing this by showing the Mighty Boosh and Flight of the Conchords.

Plus the music shows like Later with Jools Holland.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
Nah man, it's all about the old BBC Comedies!! Fawlty Towers, Allo Allo, Bottom, The Young Ones etc etc

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:21 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Esteban wrote:
I love that Jeremy Paxman brings these fucking know-all students down a peg or two. Jeremy Clarkson is brilliant too.

You forgot to drag out the other student bashing cliches, including (but not limited to) soap dodging, tax dodging, sponging off the state, lazy, scum. I like University Challenge.

The more I watch Jeremy Clarkson, the more I think he is an ill informed, childish, right wing facist, arrogant fool. Can't stand watching him!

Anyway, BBC2 also produces some amazing comedy over the years, e.g. The Office, Extras, Never Mind the Buzzcocks. And BBC3 is continuing this by showing the Mighty Boosh and Flight of the Conchords.

Plus the music shows like Later with Jools Holland.

It's not my view that all students are know-alls, but when some of them try and get one over him, he generally has the upper hand. I'm not bothered either way about students, they exist, I exist, that's about the height of it.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 7:31 AM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

Hang on, if you hate their programs in the first place, why do you want to watch them again? :S

Well, I'm a student and I couldn't be botherred to fork out the cash for a licence just to get about5 decent programees a week (generally all on at the same time). This way, I can just go through a list of programmes and legally downloa the few decent one for free, to then watch whenever I want.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 7:59 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
I love that Jeremy Paxman brings these fucking know-all students down a peg or two. Jeremy Clarkson is brilliant too. Regardless of whether you agree with his political persuasions and so on, you have to concede that he is a great presenter.

I never mentioned Clarkson, and I agree that he's a good presenter.

Esteban wrote:
I don't quite know what you mean by the countdown shows, all the one's I've seen have been broadcast on Channel 4 and E4, these channels are owned by companies that do not see a penny of your licence fee.

... Alright, I'll give you that one.

Esteban wrote:
Also remember that for every program you moan about (Interestingly you haven't mentioned one single BBC programme, preferring to refer to it as 'crap TV'), there is pure brilliance available on the BBC. Blue Planet, Planet Earth, anything David Attenborough has touched really. That's just a start.

Yes, and BBC history also do some great stuff. I wouldn't say "for every programme I moan about", as I've only named one. If you want a more informed rant, then I coul go off on one about how the BBC has taken court action to supress independant reports ino its basis against Israel and in favour of über-liberal iews (how many people voted LiDel last time round? Not very representative of the people they're supposed to represent).

Esteban wrote:
If I really bothered, I could name loads more, but you've been lazy, so shall I then.

Tut tut... We're getting very near to crossing the line here.

Esteban wrote:
Increased licence fee? Wow. Does a pint of milk cost the same as it did 10 years ago then? Or a television? Or presenters/researchers/camera crew's wages?

Hmm... It does seem that the increases aare somewhat higher than the inflation rate. When you think that even newsreaders, who used to be a respectable bunch and sit behind their desks just reading fucking as they're supposed to, have now jumped on the have-a-go celebrity band wagon, then I must admit that I couldn't give a toss about their wages.
Also, why the hell SHOULD I pay it? Just because I have a telly (which I don't, just a hypothesis), why should I HAVE to have the BBC? I don't agree with their views (I don't enjoy being told whenever I switch on the news that I'm a complete bastard for agreeing with some of Blair's foreign policy decisions, that Europe is a great institution that I sould embrace and that being anything other than working class would mean that I don't have the right to talk about civil rights, etc.). The BBC's become a lefty think tank and I'd quite frankly rather put up with adverts and pay a lower license.

Esteban wrote:
Add that to the fact that the BBC now has many more channels than the two it broadcasts on terrestrial TV with, along with loads more radio stations, and you can see where the money goes.

Err... No. They diversified their channels because they were losing viewers to Sky and such like, and thought that by saying "Wow! Look at all we've got!" they''d regain viewers and could therefore justify an increased license.
But do you honest think that, on the whole, there are more decent quality programmes? You're entitled to your opinion of course, but allow me some scepticism here. I mean, where did all the decent dramas go? Granted, they're gradually making a comeback, but did we really have to wait 5 years for that? If it makes you feel better, than I''ll change the title to "how every single f**cking so-called T.V. channel pises you off, because now that the Beebs taking such a cavalier approach to telly, they're not much better than the rest.

Esteban wrote:
I'm not picking on you, I just think your original post was hideously badly thought out, let's hope that you'd been on the Newcastle Brown Ale ice cream before you composed it.

That IS crossing the line.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:45 AM Quote
So calling you lazy because I thought your original argument was lazily constructed is 'almost crossing the line'? Really? Wow. You're more sensitive than I'd imagined.

Apologies for offending you, I really didn't think what I said was particularly offensive, but hey, it's not how it's intended, it's how it's recieved, and all that.

Joanna
Joanna Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
the news coverage is hideously bad. everytime i watch news 24 they're scrabbling about looking for bits of paper. plus the main bulletins must be organised too far in advance, they rarely mention any breakin news

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
I imagine producing/presenting 24 hour news is not the easiest job in the world, but the actual news at regular slotted times are pretty well done i'd say!

On another note, people on here get offended far too easily it seems. Please remember, it's only an internet forum ;-)

Joanna
Joanna Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 4:12 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
I imagine producing/presenting 24 hour news is not the easiest job in the world, but the actual news at regular slotted times are pretty well done i'd say!

sky manage to do it just fine. tonight on the 6pm bbc news you count how many 'reports' and 'surveys' there are. that is not news, it's easy news reporting.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
Joanna wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

sky manage to do it just fine. tonight on the 6pm bbc news you count how many 'reports' and 'surveys' there are. that is not news, it's easy news reporting.

Ach I don't pay extra money for sky!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

On another note, people on here get offended far too easily it seems. Please remember, it's only an internet forum ;-)

The internet is serious business though Grinner. Please remember this before you spout your shit about people getting offended too easily.

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/dd/Seriousbidness.jpg

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/7e/Seriousgore.jpg

Now if the guy who invented robots and the guy who invented melting ice-caps say it's important, then it's fucking important, capice?

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 7:56 AM