Travis

Re: What stuff would you like in the new album?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:10 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Monica wrote:
I don't want anything in particular (talking about music). But I second what somebody said (don't remember the name, sorry :p): I want more pictures in the booklet. I remember an album by an Italian singer, who told how he wrote every song, and it was really interesting!

I agree with that. I hate it when you get it out and its just a floppy bit of paper. I love lyrics, pictures and stuff you can read as you listen to the album for the first time. Travis have always been very good at that.

I agree! They have been really good at that. And I love how their album artwork sorta flows from one album to the next (for the most part) and gives this impression of big world/ little band. They've already got an album title picked out too! Fran said "don't ask"...but I'm sooooo curious!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:12 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Double albums and shit on door handles are one and the same.

Lol. Very graphic xD.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:18 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Monica wrote:
I don't want anything in particular (talking about music). But I second what somebody said (don't remember the name, sorry :p): I want more pictures in the booklet. I remember an album by an Italian singer, who told how he wrote every song, and it was really interesting!

I agree with that. I hate it when you get it out and its just a floppy bit of paper. I love lyrics, pictures and stuff you can read as you listen to the album for the first time. Travis have always been very good at that.

I agree! They have been really good at that. And I love how their album artwork sorta flows from one album to the next (for the most part) and gives this impression of big world/ little band. They've already got an album title picked out too! Fran said "don't ask"...but I'm sooooo curious!

Yes i heard that. The Girl With No Name is maybe Dougie's idea. Or The Boy with no name 2!

And you're right about the little band/big world. It's like they're saying, "it's not about us, just take a listen to the music."

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
Fran wrote:

Ooo lovely. Haha. I agree though Fran. Sometimes a double album can have 10 or so good tracks but mixed in with all the others, they just get crowded out. Why can't they release the 10-12 song album and see what they have left and release another album 12 months down the line.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Fran wrote:

Ooo lovely. Haha. I agree though Fran. Sometimes a double album can have 10 or so good tracks but mixed in with all the others, they just get crowded out. Why can't they release the 10-12 song album and see what they have left and release another album 12 months down the line.

I love it that you changed the maximum from 11 to 12, now we're starting to agree xD.

Talking about quantity over quality, the worst thing I ever heard was a quintuple album, by an argentinian singer called Andrés Calamaro. Those songs were an insult to whoever listened to them... that was so low hahaha.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:53 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Fran wrote:

I love it that you changed the maximum from 11 to 12, now we're starting to agree xD.

Talking about quantity over quality, the worst thing I ever heard was a quintuple album, by an argentinian singer called Andrés Calamaro. Those songs were an insult to whoever listened to them... that was so low hahaha.

Like i said yesterday, 10-11 is preferable, 12 is acceptable but i really don't like many more than that. Although of course i have albums i love with more tracks, in general, i prefer shorter albums.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
I disagree. The Beatles (The White Album) is a double album and imo is one of the best albums ever.
If the songs are great, and there are only 10, it leaves you wanting more and it's frustrating.

I'm no fan of double albums myself. The White Album is perhaps my least favourite of the five Beatles albums I own. There are some great songs on there, but also plenty of sub-par ones. Yet, if they'd put the best 12 or so on the album and left it at that, it'd perhaps be one of my favourites. But, ofc, by 'the best' I mean 'my favourites', and I know there are plenty who love the whole album. Double albums just haven't worked for me yet so far. The Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium was rather a disappointment too...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I disagree. The Beatles (The White Album) is a double album and imo is one of the best albums ever.
If the songs are great, and there are only 10, it leaves you wanting more and it's frustrating.

I'm no fan of double albums myself. The White Album is perhaps my least favourite of the five Beatles albums I own. There are some great songs on there, but also plenty of sub-par ones. Yet, if they'd put the best 12 or so on the album and left it at that, it'd perhaps be one of my favourites. But, ofc, by 'the best' I mean 'my favourites', and I know there are plenty who love the whole album. Double albums just haven't worked for me yet so far. The Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium was rather a disappointment too...

Stadium Arcadium is unbelievably crap. I just haven't been able to enjoy it because you're enjoying it one moment and you're hating it the next. What is it?... 28 songs i believe. Cut it down to 11 and they've made a good album there. Probably, because there does seem to be some good tracks on it.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
in case of double album i'd prefer the normal album and in the second album the 5.1 surround album haha just joking. nah the second a dvd

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 6:55 PM Quote
A lot of the songs from The White Album are brilliant, but it's far from a cohesive album. It's really all over the place. It's probably really hard to pull off a double album, but I don't think it's impossible and if any band can do it, Travis can in my opinion. But I'm cool with 12 amazing new songs! :O)

Moray
Moray Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 7:12 PM Quote
There are a couple of exceptions to the rule:

Stevie Wonders - Songs in the Key of Life

& Led Zep. Physical Graffiti

Also, my favourite album is actually a double album - George Harrisons "All Things Must Pass". Although, to be fair this was an album containing all the songs the Beatles wouldn't let him record. And contains very little filler throughout each side.

Most double albums are a bag of shite. Esp the White Album. Thats just a meandering mess of ideas that goes nowhere. To be honest, it should have been album one, with Mother Natures Son, Long Long Long, Savoy Truffle and Good Night off album 2,

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 7:20 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:

Friends (Even better than the fan versions...)

Eye Of The Needle (Click for more info on this old song)
My Life
Ben Stiller Cowbell Song

At least 1 Dougie written and sung song. (Though the more the better, maybe about his unborn child?).

Aye. And one Andy original with him singing.

And what about the Doctor song Fran? I know that one is ages old but I would love to see that song surface. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
A lot of the songs from The White Album are brilliant, but it's far from a cohesive album. It's really all over the place. It's probably really hard to pull off a double album, but I don't think it's impossible and if any band can do it, Travis can in my opinion. But I'm cool with 12 amazing new songs! :O)

I agree.
The White Album is one of my favourite Beatles albums, but yes, it's not cohesive.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 5:23 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I agree.
The White Album is one of my favourite Beatles albums, but yes, it's not cohesive.

To be honest, the White Album could be a 15-song album for me...containing:
Dear Prudence
Back In The USSR
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-da
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
I Will
Birthday
Julia
Helter Skelter
Revolution
Cry Baby Cry

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 5:38 AM Quote
Nooo! Too many left outs :oP

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:47 PM