Travis

Re: Jazz
paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
paul_c wrote:
Smoking sometimes helps the voice..

for a rough voice yeah but really not for a clear high pitched one. In fact the difference is very noticable in Fran's voice since he's quit (I think he did because the last album with Clay's arrival?).

Exactly. I doubt Fran would have been able to sing as well on Battleships if it was recorded around the 12 Memories era than if he did it now. And as for the "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...Selfish Jean", no chance!

And no, i don't smoke. Never even tried one. My voice can be dodgy enough at times without roughing it up even more! lol

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:21 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Go for Chet, he's the man, his version of My funny Valentine is a cult...and everything he's either played or sang. I've been addictd for the past 20 years. Check out "let's get lost", movie about him.
I particularly love jazz singers Ella, Billy, Sarah, Franky etc...but Nat King Cole remains the master. He's a signing lesson in person and the man smoke like a chimney!

Yeah, well said: Chet is the man!

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:23 PM Quote
I hate jazz. Cannot stand it. Think it's self indulgent
£$%^&&**!!! But then it would be boring if we all had the same taste eh?!

heyjude
heyjude Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:32 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:

i really like jazz and went through a jazz/big band phase, but i know people like you, moomin, who think the same way-- particularly when jazz musicians start to "riff" ("self-indulge") or when the piece starts to sound unstructured or discordant.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:44 PM Quote
heyjude wrote:
moominbadger wrote:

i really like jazz and went through a jazz/big band phase, but i know people like you moomin, who think the same way-- particularly when jazz musicians start to "riff" (self-indulge) or when the piece starts to sound unstructured or discordant.

i've tried but I just can't get into it!! Thank you for understanding, heyjude!!!

heyjude
heyjude Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:55 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
heyjude wrote:
moominbadger wrote:

i really like jazz and went through a jazz/big band phase, but i know people like you moomin, who think the same way-- particularly when jazz musicians start to "riff" (self-indulge) or when the piece starts to sound unstructured or discordant.

i've tried but I just can't get into it!! Thank you for understanding, heyjude!!!

yep, i totally understand :-)

i was in a tough position last weekend, when, at a jazz club, my companion was ready to bolt out the door when the "riffing" started. i was like, oh please stop riffing already or i might get dragged out of here :-D

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 18 Jan, 2008 3:36 AM Quote
heyjude wrote:
moominbadger wrote:
heyjude wrote:
moominbadger wrote:

whoa jude you should go to see Flipper next time they ressurect themselves . for better or worse , they never play the same show twice.

yep, i totally understand :-)

i was in a tough position last weekend, when, at a jazz club, my companion was ready to bolt out the door when the "riffing" started. i was like, oh please stop riffing already or i might get dragged out of here :-D

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 5:18 PM