Travis

Re: Finland says Hello!
Monica
Monica Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
If I had money I'd go everywhere.. But I'm a student.. No money XD Besides, too much cold in Finland.

Oskari
Oskari Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Oskari wrote:
This is my first typing here..and i'm actually a bit nervous...who knows what can happenD:..anyway..i'm 21 year-old guy from finland who digs Travis really much..i've been following this messageboard for a while now..but now i wanted to send some text here;)...i'm not really sure are here any other finnish travisfans..but if is..identify yourselves..good to be here...you've been a great audience..good night...im going to bed:)
Thanks again...

and my favorite travis songie at the moment is...My Eyes
<<sorry my english is not so bad>>

Finland is a beautiful country. Anyone who hasn't been there should go to the travel agent and book tickets immediately. It's really that striking a place. Anyways welcome Finnish person, to travisland.

thanks Fran:D Finland is really country to visit..and Travis should visit our country someday;)

Oskari
Oskari Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
If I had money I'd go everywhere.. But I'm a student.. No money XD Besides, too much cold in Finland.

You should visit Finland during summer...if the winter is too cold for you;)

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:03 PM Quote
A friend of mine wants to go there... She's obsessed with Kimi Raikkonen. So, if I have time and money, maybe I'll go someday ;)

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
Ok, i'll squeeze my comments into one message. And i'll do it in English, because while i do understand Finnish i'm not very good at writing it (you'd just laugh yourself to bits).

1) Welcome/tervetuloa/tere tulemast to the board, Oskari, Jennny and Juuuli. Greetings from your Southern neighbour Estonia :)

2) Mili, Jenni and Oskari, whichever location you agree upon for a possible Travis show in Finland (in case you're still reading, Fran, this was the subject of the first part of this thread) I hope it's big enough to squeeze in some fans from my country as well :)

3) "kiva poro" - LOL! actually when i first saw this phrase here i did burst out laughing and had the 'nice Finn' meaning in mind. Sorry! *blushes* But what was it again that you Finns called us...? Sarvikuono? (rhinoceros) ;)

4) Yes, Mozman, be careful, this thread may even evolve into "If you're Finno-Ugric" part 15...

Evelyn

mili
mili Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Oskari wrote:
This is my first typing here..and i'm actually a bit nervous...who knows what can happenD:..anyway..i'm 21 year-old guy from finland who digs Travis really much..i've been following this messageboard for a while now..but now i wanted to send some text here;)...i'm not really sure are here any other finnish travisfans..but if is..identify yourselves..good to be here...you've been a great audience..good night...im going to bed:)
Thanks again...

and my favorite travis songie at the moment is...My Eyes
<<sorry my english is not so bad>>

Finland is a beautiful country. Anyone who hasn't been there should go to the travel agent and book tickets immediately. It's really that striking a place. Anyways welcome Finnish person, to travisland.

So, Fran, why don't you book a flight for you and the band and treat us with a gig, please! And bring your families, too!

mili
mili Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:

3) "kiva poro" - LOL! actually when i first saw this phrase here i did burst out laughing and had the 'nice Finn' meaning in mind. Sorry! *blushes* But what was it again that you Finns called us...? Sarvikuono? (rhinoceros) ;)

Evelyn

I've never heard Estonians being called Rhinos, but on the other hand, I can't think of any other derogatory name for your fellow countrymen either. Perhaps I haven't been to the Tallinn ferry often enough.

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
mili wrote:
I've never heard Estonians being called Rhinos, but on the other hand, I can't think of any other derogatory name for your fellow countrymen either. Perhaps I haven't been to the Tallinn ferry often enough.

Oh i'm sure you guys call us something, you're probably just too nice a girl to know it :)

Oskari
Oskari Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
mili wrote:

Oh i'm sure you guys call us something, you're probably just too nice a girl to know it :)

seriouslyD:...virolainen thats what i knowD:...i have never heard anything else..

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
Hi guys, welcome to the board!

I'd love to go to Finland, do you really get reindeer and those kinds of things? :) Do any of you have a spare room? ;)

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
Hey! Welcome to the board!

I've never been to Finland, but would love to make it over there some day.

mili
mili Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Hi guys, welcome to the board!

I'd love to go to Finland, do you really get reindeer and those kinds of things? :) Do any of you have a spare room? ;)

Reindeer are in the north, in Lapland. No polarbears, penguins etc. But brown bears, wolves, foxes, hares, lynx, elks... you name it. I live a couple of miles from the centre in the capital, Helsinki, and we have bunnies in the yard, elks come occationally to the centre and geese are really a pest...

Here are some nice pictures from here
http://taivasalla.net/english/

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
Oskari wrote:
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
mili wrote:

seriouslyD:...virolainen thats what i knowD:...i have never heard anything else..

You really are really, really, really nice people!
But we... er... I mean, we... er, we always say 'poro' in the 'nice Finn' meaning only. Yes, that's it! *nods head* (did i manage to save face?)

juuuli
juuuli Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
Oskari wrote:
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
mili wrote:

Me neither :D

I visit Estonia almost every year. I've been to Tallin, Tarto, Pärnü, Saaremaa and Pöltsamaa. A wonderful country.

mili
mili Posted Wed 16 Jan, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
Oskari wrote:
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
mili wrote:

You really are really, really, really nice people!
But we... er... I mean, we... er, we always say 'poro' in the 'nice Finn' meaning only. Yes, that's it! *nods head* (did i manage to save face?)

There used to some jokes about Estonians when you were part of Soviet Union, but they mainly referred to pantyhose and alcohol, and to the fact that your language sounds occationally funny to us, so similar, but not the same, and it's faster than Finnish. I don't think you had a nickname even then. I haven't heard Estonian jokes for a long time, but ask about Swedish jokes...

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:52 AM