Travis

Saw a movie I didn't like
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
We rented a DVD for the first time in ages. It was called, "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer." It was based on a book, which I haven't read. Ick. The movie was all artsy and it had some big stars (Dustin Hoffman, Alan Rickman) but I thought the story got to the point that it was ridiculous. The main guy in the story had a fabulous sense of smell, but they exaggerated it to the point that it was unbelievable. Like he could smell something miles away while he was sleeping? Yeah. Everyone in the first half of the movie is so filthy I wanted to gag. The guy just freaked me out with his "smelling" behavior. He had no conscience, no soul. Just too off the wall for me. Anyone seen it?

Re: Saw a movie I didn't like
pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:29 PM Quote
I´ve read the book about a zillion times, it´s awesome. One must give some credit to the director, since it´s a novel pretty hard to adapt...

The movie didn´t disapoint me at all. Too bad you didn´t like it!

spid
spid Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:29 PM Quote
haven't seen it - maybe i'll skip it now.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:31 PM Quote
pixiedixie wrote:
I´ve read the book about a zillion times, it´s awesome. One must give some credit to the director, since it´s a novel pretty hard to adapt...

Maybe if I had read the book, I would have liked the movie better. I don't know, all the filth really turned me off and that crazy sniffing really freaked me out!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:39 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
pixiedixie wrote:

Maybe if I had read the book, I would have liked the movie better. I don't know, all the filth really turned me off and that crazy sniffing really freaked me out!

read about 24 pages and gave up as felt like throwing up all the time

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:40 PM Quote
Then don't see the movie. The fish market scene would gag a maggot off a gut wagon.

spid
spid Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:42 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Then don't see the movie. The fish market scene would gag a maggot off a gut wagon.

tee hee - good image!!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:44 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

tee hee - good image!!!

I got that phrase from my dad.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:46 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
We rented a DVD for the first time in ages. It was called, "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer." It was based on a book, which I haven't read. Ick. The movie was all artsy and it had some big stars (Dustin Hoffman, Alan Rickman) but I thought the story got to the point that it was ridiculous. The main guy in the story had a fabulous sense of smell, but they exaggerated it to the point that it was unbelievable. Like he could smell something miles away while he was sleeping? Yeah. Everyone in the first half of the movie is so filthy I wanted to gag. The guy just freaked me out with his "smelling" behavior. He had no conscience, no soul. Just too off the wall for me. Anyone seen it?

Watched an Ebert and Roeper review of it, and they said it was horrible.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:49 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I often disagree with them, but I'm glad that someone else shared my opinion in this case.

I like my historical movies sanitized, I guess. I like fancy costumes and lovely hair and clean people.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:52 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

The book should be sold ONLY if you need to lose weight (since puking is guaranteed).

In fact it should be sold with a sticky label that says "Puking guaranteed !" and with a plastic bag (for the vomit).

spid
spid Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:52 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I often disagree with them, but I'm glad that someone else shared my opinion in this case.

I like my historical movies sanitized, I guess. I like fancy costumes and lovely hair and clean people.

yeah, quite right, have just finished watching 'sense and sensibility' and 'lark view to cranford' both period costume dramas on the bbc - all had nice white straight teeth and clean clothes and skin. v good

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:53 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

don't come to France then !

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:57 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Too late. I've been there twice.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Too late. I've been there twice.

I know ! you were spotted with wee white sneakers running around the place to make sandwiches

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:37 PM