Travis

Re: Under the Moonlight
Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 1:49 PM Quote
It's a beautiful song, I enjoy it immensely.

My only qualm/frustration/regret is that it's essentially a cover, and when you take into consideration the quality of the b-sides from TBWNN, there is a real urge to want to exchange UTM with one of these b-sides.

With TBWNN sessions, you've got two types of Travis. You've got the pretty, happy-go-lucky, feel good, emphatic chorus-orientated Travis of songs like Battleships, Closer, Under The Moonlight, My Eyes, My Last Chance.

And then you've got the more musically ambitious Travis, where the boys investigate what they can do with different structures and moods, as evident in songs like Colder, Big Chair, 3 Times And You Lose, New Amsterdam, The Great Unknown and The Day Today.

Ultimately, you could compile two immensely satisfying and probably more cohesive ten-song discs that encapsualte all songs from the sessions that adhere to both Travis 'types', but as it stands you've got the curious compilation of songs that is The Boy With No Name, which I think is brilliant yet is admittedly a little lacking in logical album flow.

sdoah
sdoah Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:22 PM Quote
Wow, I'm having a really hard time relating to the whole "too many songs" mentality. I have the 14-song bonus track version of THE BOY WITH NO NAME and love it, totally love it. My favorite track is indeed track 9, "Under the Moonlight" and many times, not always, but many times I will just play "Battleships" and "Under the Moonlight" (even though I love the whole album). I don't see the magic in the number "11" I mean I think of the brilliance of the 30-song WHITE ALBUM by The Beatles or Springsteen's 2001 15-track masterpiece, THE RISING, and I say I'll take the extra tracks. At the end of the day, it's all subjective though . . . THE BOY WITH NO NAME just happens to be one of my favorite albums and I like vanilla better than chocolate too :-)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:47 AM Quote
wow! quite amamzed to see the thread unearthed lol it's over a year old ! and yes I'm still of the same opinion, I'm sticking to my guns, it's at most a B-Side, and as that never matching the amazing Unbelievers.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 12:24 PM