Travis

Re: How did you discover Travis?
feri
feri Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 3:52 AM Quote
Steph_canuck wrote:
feri wrote:
It was thanks to Much More Music. I live in Canada and my dad disconnected the cable so there was no more Much Music (they play TRL type of songs) and so I had to stick to Much MORE Music..and that's where I saw the video for Sing and Side and I thought to myself 'WHO are they?!?!

MMM usually has the better music anyways..Much plays the same crap over and over until some new "punk" musicians come out of small town BC...case in point- Faber Drive..like, wtf? And Marianas Trench...though that one single of theirs is kinda catchy lol..
PS. I cant wait to see travis ..:)

I can't wait either, so excited!! And you're totally right! I remember at first being kinda mad that I couldn't watch Much Music, but now I don't even care and I get bored by it! Now I love MMM and their music, it was because of them that I got into many other bands I like such as Depeche Mode, Oasis, etc.

bucky84
bucky84 Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 8:43 AM Quote
what a sad story is mine... :)
i discovered travis when, some years ago, i listened to 'why does it always rain on me'. i was in a car with a boy i liked very much... and i immediately loved that song... i continued to sing it in the following days. then that boy decided to leave me alone and i decided to discover all travis songs, and so i did... and travis were my salvation during that very sad period... i use to say that they are my 'musical bible'

JimmyDean
JimmyDean Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 4:20 PM Quote
I listened "Why Does It Always Rain On Me" on the radio...

jaguar
jaguar Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 5:30 PM Quote
In a Q in a muddy field @ Glastonbury 97 just across from the Other Stage

I was waitin to use a phone and thought theyre pretty cool then found out thay came from my hometown.......which was nice,a few weeks later i was in belfast and got the Good Felling CD.............and the rest as they say is history

ive been hooked ever since

jaguar
jaguar Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 5:33 PM Quote
In a Q in a muddy field @ Glastonbury 97 just across from the Other Stage

I was waitin to use a phone and thought theyre pretty cool then found out thay came from my hometown.......which was nice,a few weeks later i was in belfast and got the Good Felling CD.............and the rest as they say is history

ive been hooked ever since

blue
blue Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 6:15 PM Quote
The radio, plus they were on a Norw. talkshow to promote Flowers in the Wondow, and Fran sat down with the other guests and talked first. The other guests were talking bullshit (since they were politicians, and that's what politicians usually do), but Fran was interesting and funny. So I went straight out and bought The Invisible Band, and from then on I was hooked.

:-)

Els*
Els* Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 6:29 PM Quote
they were on tour with oasis. i didn't know much about either band but i bought tickets as a truce over a knock down drag out fight i'd had with lisa about six weeks prior to the concert. my mother was pushing me to make up with her so thats why i bought the tickets as i only knew champagne supernova. we get to the show... there is a huge travis fan standing behind us and knows every song and is singing super loud and out of tune. i didn't see much of travis because of that fan, i went to look at the merchandise. but it got my attention that there was something special about travis. i bought the man who and when they returned to san fran, it was by chance that we found out they were playing in buena gardens that same week. we went to see them do an acoustic set from the invisible band and signing. that is when i became a true travis fan.

DarrenW
DarrenW Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 9:37 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Heard them on the radio? Mate dragged you to a gig? Let's hear the stories.

Used to work on a farm in my younger days. Driving at 11pm at night in my tractor on the way to check a pregnant animal, Steve Lamaq introduced a track by an up and coming band - it was More Than Us. I was mesmerised and sat in the tractor until it was finished to I could hear the band name. Went out and bought it as soon as it came out (on cassette tape!).

To think that nowadays, when you catch a new band, its a case of getting home, firing up the computer and within hours, you can download the whole back catalouge on itunes, find out the lyrics, guitar chords etc for every single track, go to the artists website and find out what they all look like, where they were born, how they came together then to finish off, fire on over to ebay to buy the t-shirt! How times have changed!

cosmicwonder
cosmicwonder Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 11:46 PM Quote
I can't actually remember to be fair ... I remember hearing all the Stereophonics hype and somehow everyone at school beginning to mention Travis ... then I think I heard WDIAROM on the radio ...

My mum went away to Edinburgh for a trip and asked what I wanted her to take back and I just said a CD, askin' what one, I looked at some brochure and picked The Man Who, she took it back, listened to the CD and I was hooked.
Then months later, TIB came out and wahoo ... glued.
The rest is history

RadioMad
RadioMad Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 11:56 PM Quote
I discovered them through Glastonbury 1999 on TV.
That was the triggerpoint for me to buy The Man Who

isma
isma Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 1:49 AM Quote
Well Thanks to my brother .

He really liked 'Sing' and i bought 'The invisible band' after that :-)

mxpancho
mxpancho Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 7:05 AM Quote
I watched the WDIAROM on some video channel, I have ever heard anything about them before. That single one song made me buy the album once I saw it by coincidence in some shop. I still remember the first time I listened to (over midnight, all dark in some relative's room I was staying 'cause I have left home); since then, one of my favorites...

joemono
joemono Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:49 PM Quote
I downloaded some tracks from The Man Who for a mix CD.

Lien
Lien Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
I actually discovered them because I'm a big fan of Keane and then Travis gets mentioned a lot as well. Then I discovered they were the very same band of that awesome foodfight video and I was basically sold :D

in_definitely
in_definitely Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 7:17 PM Quote

Actually, it was my friend's fault. :-) We were both so bored (on a coach tour, having listened to our CDs for ages) that we exchanged CDs, well, and I got the Invisilbe Band...

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:34 PM