Travis

What did Travis say about The Killers?
Lu122
Lu122 Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:14 AM Quote
I'm a member of The Killers' message board and there's a thread called "What Are Other Artists Saying About The Killers?". I rarely go into that thread because I simply don't care. But today I was extremely bored, so I took a look and I found someone had recently posted what Travis thinks about them:

He (Fran) knows Travis is not considered a band that's "cool" to champion. He knows they'll likely never pack stadiums or be on any hipster hotlists.
But that's fine by him. As much as he admires some of the bigger acts out there, he feels Travis stands apart with its inclusive, everyman approach. It's a belief that was recently strengthened while Healy and bass player, Doug Payne, watched The Killers take the stage after them in Buenos Aires.
"When we played with The Killers the other night, Dougie -- the bass player -- turns around to me and says, 'Man, do you ever get the feeling we're really unprofessional?'
"But we're just not that kind of band. . . The Killers, there's a connection there, but there's also a distance. They're rock stars.

That made me LOL... gotta love these guys!

Re: What did Travis say about The Killers?
Lu122
Lu122 Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:18 AM Quote
Oh, and for those who want to read the whole article- it's a really nice one:

Travis paved the way for emotive soft rock
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/vancouver/story.html?id=f5a78e3f-a5c9-477b-b71a-d30b32448dd3&k=47181&p=1

And this was my reply to that post- I know you don't care but I'm really bored:

I was at that show! And that's such a cute quote from them! I used to like Travis and fell back in love with them that day when I saw them live. And let me tell you, the way Travis approaches to the public is completely different from the way The Killers do... but I loved both bands!
It's funny how he said they're unproffesional, but the thing is they really seemed to be playing for friends and to be having a really great time. Seeing them up on the stage made me feel the same way I feel when I see my friends perform. It was lovely!

November 2 was definitely one of the best nights of my life!

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:35 AM Quote
Lu122 wrote:

I know you don't care but I'm really bored:

[i]I was at that show! And that's such a cute quote from them! I used to like Travis and fell back in love with them that day when I saw them live. And let me tell you, the way Travis approaches to the public is completely different from the way The Killers do... but I loved both bands!
It's funny how he said they're unproffesional, but the thing is they really seemed to be playing for friends and to be having a really great time. Seeing them up on the stage made me feel the same way I feel when I see my friends perform. It was lovely!

hey!!!

totally agree with your point of view!!!!

Travis and The Killers are fantastic bands, in different ways as you say, but both are great!!! In fact, I have never been in a concert of The Killers (I wish that), but I can tell that the connection between Travis and their public is incredible and wonderful in every concert that they make, like no other I guess...

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:58 AM Quote
I have to agree with Fran. The connection between Travis and the audience that night was something else.

The Killers sounded great, but I felt like there was an invisible wall between the stage and the field...

Xgirl
Xgirl Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 1:56 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I have to agree with Fran. The connection between Travis and the audience that night was something else.

The Killers sounded great, but I felt like there was an invisible wall between the stage and the field...

yep totally agree

melissa
melissa Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:08 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

yes I also agree with u!!
we are so happy, travis was the best band in the show, they are so natural!!
And we are the real travis's fan, and we know they're making the best for us and they are so professional.
They don't need to say that they are a really good band, 'cos they are!!

and I'm sorry but I DON'T LIKE THE KILLERS! It's just my opinion.

inwhitelight
inwhitelight Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:14 AM Quote
there's nothing new i could add to all of your replies, really.. 'cause i completely agree with all of them, but i'll try to say something anyway xD
i'm not a fan of The killers, i like their music but i don't love it...and i don't know what a real fan may say, since they were probably astonished by the killers' show, but a great majority of the people who were there that night agreed on this point: the killers set up a wonderful show, great stage design, they sounded beautifuly but they were too "well organized" tu put it that way. Travis, on the other hand, gave everything the audience needed...because let's face it, it's nice to see beautiful lights and stuff but nothing compares to going to a concert and not only getting awesome music but also the feeling you're hanging out with friends haha xD feeling that it's like they really care about you, that they're having a great time and they're eager to make you have a great time as well *.*

i just loved this thread (L) :P
those words were precisely the ones that came to my mind during the killers' show: rock stars. travis...they're like our brothers...if that means they're unprofessional, cheers to that! ^^ i loved they way these guys said what they said without being rude, they're just incredible!

Thanks for the interview lu ^^

Peter76
Peter76 Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:14 AM Quote
Funny you should bring that up. I was talking with Fran about the Killers and how I wasn't too fond of Brandon Flowers in particular, and Fran said Brandon was a good songwriter.

I suppose that's what sets the two apart. Travis is a great connective band with great showmanship. Not to say the Killers aren't good - They are. But they're much more detached live if compared to Travis.

Lu122
Lu122 Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:33 AM Quote
melissa, you don't need to apologise for not liking The Killers. As you said, it's your opinion and I respect that.
And I know I've said it ten thousand times, but I really enjoyed the three bands that day. They did their own thing and they were great.

I fell back in love with Travis and it was an amazing feeling. During the whole show I felt I was there with them on the stage.

And The Killers are my favourite band, and I love them and their music. They connect with the public through the music and that's about it, nothing more. But we as fans know them and know they're not that kind of band that does what Travis does. And it's ok. I always knew that Brandon wouldn't talk much and that there's no way any of the guys will jump onto the crowd like Andy did. Yet, that's what makes them, well, them.

And yes, Fran is right. Brandon is an amazing songwriter! And so is he...

gaby
gaby Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:36 AM Quote
inwhitelight wrote:
...because let's face it, it's nice to see beautiful lights and stuff but nothing compares to going to a concert and not only getting awesome music but also the feeling you're hanging out with friends haha xD feeling that it's like they really care about you, that they're having a great time and they're eager to make you have a great time as well *.*

...if that means they're unprofessional, cheers to that!

I totally agree with you about this

Lu122
Lu122 Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:39 AM Quote
sorry, double post... ignore it

Lu122
Lu122 Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:39 AM Quote
I love their unprofessionalism too! :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 4:18 AM Quote
inwhitelight wrote:
there's nothing new i could add to all of your replies, really.. 'cause i completely agree with all of them, but i'll try to say something anyway xD
i'm not a fan of The killers, i like their music but i don't love it...and i don't know what a real fan may say, since they were probably astonished by the killers' show, but a great majority of the people who were there that night agreed on this point: the killers set up a wonderful show, great stage design, they sounded beautifuly but they were too "well organized" tu put it that way. Travis, on the other hand, gave everything the audience needed...because let's face it, it's nice to see beautiful lights and stuff but nothing compares to going to a concert and not only getting awesome music but also the feeling you're hanging out with friends haha xD feeling that it's like they really care about you, that they're having a great time and they're eager to make you have a great time as well *.*

i just loved this thread (L) :P
those words were precisely the ones that came to my mind during the killers' show: rock stars. travis...they're like our brothers...if that means they're unprofessional, cheers to that! ^^ i loved they way these guys said what they said without being rude, they're just incredible!

Thanks for the interview lu ^^

I totally agree with you!
The Killers and Travis are two different types of bands who did different shows. It depends on what you like and feel more attached to.
I mean, some people love it when it's a big set up and all that, and it's fine.
I really enjoy myself much more when it all comes down to the music and the relationship between the band and the audience, that's why I prefer smaller venues instead of stadiums. And that's why after seeing what Travis did I was disapointed with what The Killers offered. I couldn't settle with some bright lights, even though they were great performers :oP

But I admit it, I went there because of Travis. The only songs I know by The Killers are the hits. I like those songs, so I was happy to get to see The Killers live. But their show was not even a billion miles close to what Travis made me feel that night.

anace
anace Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 7:18 AM Quote
I actually love both bands and have seen both of them live, in different ocassions so I'll give you my 2 cents.

The Killers are about a big loud and massive show with lights and whatnot. Flowers (not the guy) on stage, crazy amount of light and all the decorations that make their stage look like it's from a fair or something. I can honestly say they display passion and strenght during their set, and I find that very enjoyable. Their show was my first show and even tho I was a bit in the back I had an amazing time. It's fast, upbeat and good for a singalong too.

But Travis, they are just something completely different and probably if I dare to say, more beautiful. The thing with Travis is that you don't need the whole big show set up to enjoy their gig. You don't need anything actually. It's just a different feel to it, nothing to do with profesionalism ;) It's more of a "you're here, we're here.. let's play some music and have fun!". Pretty simple, but pretty real too.

Now, I've loved both shows and both are totally enjoyable, just 2 different things. I know I wouldn't be pretty conforable if Travis did a show like The Killers.. it would be too weird! ;)

PS. the rockstars comment made me laugh! rockstars? are you serious? have you seen their last xmas song video? haha

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Sat 24 Nov, 2007 7:27 AM Quote
Lu122 wrote:
I love their unprofessionalism too! :)

me too hahaha

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:48 PM