Travis

Re: ABC: American Boardie Convention
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 6:34 PM Quote
We need researchers:

Hotel: Preferably close to venue, check for group discount

Public Transportation: Gotta get from Union Station/Airport to hotel & hotel to venue.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 6:36 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
We need researchers:

Hotel: Preferably close to venue, check for group discount

Public Transportation: Gotta get from Union Station/Airport to hotel & hotel to venue.

Will do! Nikki and I found a nice hotel a few weeks ago, but no idea if it is near the venue. ALL im going to do is do research tonight. I will report back.
Must look into flights and hope there is still a seat sale. And see if MAYBE i can get one day off work.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 6:42 PM Quote
Yay!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited I just can't contain myself!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 6:46 PM Quote
I'll be getting a car. I've done the public transportation route from the airport before and it takes entirely too long.

I bet I won't be the only one with a car. I think it makes more sense to get a hotel that is a good tourist location in terms of hitting up other places in Chicago vs. being right on top of the venue.

I've asked Joanna (boardie who lives in Chicago) about karaoke bars. Clearly this shows my priorities.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 6:57 PM Quote
If you get a car though, you have to worry about finding parking (and paying for parking). Do you think it'll be a hassle?

Mega Bus doesn't have its fares for April up yet, but March is really cheap. I realize April 18th is the last weekend of spring break, so they'll probably bump up the price a bit.
Southwest Airlines from Detroit to Chicago is $79 each way for the "internet special." So, it's time versus money.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:02 PM Quote
Ugh. I would never get a car. I dont want to drive in downtown Chicago! And ya, parking like Kayte said. But if that works best for you...
Depending on the hotel, they might offer a free airport shuttle.
Hopefully the venue is downtown/near other tourist places/near the kareoke bar/near a reasonable hotel so we dont have to worry too much about transportation once we are there/DD's/etc.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:05 PM Quote
Spring Break for state schools (like mine...) is much sooner, so I don't think it'll be that much of a problem for the MegaBug

Hotels near Vic Theater

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:05 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

I've asked Joanna (boardie who lives in Chicago) about karaoke bars. Clearly this shows my priorities.

There is a karaoke bar just across the street from Vic's Theatre, called Trader Todd's.
Trader Todd's
3216 N Sheffield Ave
Chicago, IL 60657
Phone: (773) 348-3250
"Nightly karaoke is a trademark of this tropically themed Lakeview party place. "

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:12 PM Quote
tropical theme like..KOKOMO?????

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:12 PM Quote
Kind of sad there isn't a KC/Lawrence date like last time. I don't want to drive to Denver. Oh well. Not sure if I can go to ABC either

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:12 PM Quote
How long is everyone planning on staying for?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:16 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Serendipity!

Is my excitement altering my perception of time, or is the board extra slow today?

Meridith
Meridith Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:18 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Kind of sad there isn't a KC/Lawrence date like last time. I don't want to drive to Denver. Oh well. Not sure if I can go to ABC either

What?! Nooooooooo....you have to come Lauren!!!!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:23 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Serendipity!

Is my excitement altering my perception of time, or is the board extra slow today?

So SLOOOOOOW.
My last msg took 10 minutes to post. I kept minimizing and maximizing it and it was still there! I resisted the urge to hit submit again and get a double post.
Man, i havent posted this much in weeks.

And to answer Mer, goal if I can get a day off is Thursday night to Sunday night. But I guess that depends on other people's plans.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:24 PM Quote
I'm going to be in Chicago the 15th and 16th...I may just change those dates to the 16th and 17th...have the wife take the train out on the 17th...spend two nights in Chicago on the company and take the train back together on Sunday....that would be sooooo sweet.

Or....we'll just drive out for the concert and get home at 6:00 a.m. like we did last time... :(

Pages Previous 1...42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:54 AM