Travis

Dear Deirdre/Siobhan whichever agony aunt???
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:58 PM Quote
Hello,

I am a whiney young man with absolutely no self esteem and even less balls, there is this girl/boy/friend/arsehole that I fancy but I am just far to much of a fucked up whiney arsehole to pluck up the courage to speak to him/her/it let alone ask him/her/it out, please can you help me??

Hopeless in Cyberspace??

Re: Dear Deirdre/Siobhan whichever agony aunt???
Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:01 PM Quote

I'd hate to be called Siobhan, no one ever knows how to spell it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:05 PM Quote
hehe I do after living in Ireland for 7 years...

Siobhan, Sinead, Sorcha, Aofie, Medbh, Niamh. hahahahah

Dubz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:09 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

How the hell do you pronounce 'Aofie' and 'Medbh' (I've never heard of the latter).

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:15 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

How the hell do you pronounce 'Aofie' and 'Medbh' (I've never heard of the latter).

Dee?? do you wanna take this one??

Aofie "ee-fa" and Medbh "may-ve" also spelt Maeve, Dee can probably clear up the more obscure spellings

Dubz
Dbhubhdbhzzz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:17 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Dee?? do you wanna take this one??

Aofie "ee-fa" and Medbh "may-ve" also spelt Maeve, Dee can probably clear up the more obscure spellings

Dubz
Dbhubhdbhzzz

Ah-ha, I recognise Maeve, never seen it spelt like 'Medbh' before. Well, ya learn something new every day, thanks for that :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:25 PM Quote
Educational spot, hehe...

Medbh
From an old Irish name Madb, "the cause of great joy" or "she who intoxicates." The great warrior queen of Connacht and embodiment of sovereignity she stars in Ireland's greatest epic "The Cattle Raid of Cooley" (read the legend). She left king Conchobhar Mac Nessa for Ailill because "you are a man without meaness, fear or jealousy, a match for my own greatness." But the couple quarrelled over who had the most possessions. Maebh's bull had defected to Ailill's herd and so she bought Daire's brown bull. When Daire went back on the deal she went to war with Cuchulainn (read the legend) and the province of Ulster to recover the bull.

Aoife
"beautiful, radiant, joyful." Known as the greatest woman warrior in the world, Aoife was the mother of Cuchulainn's (read the legend) only son, Connlach. Aoife Dearg ("Red Aoife") was a daughter of a king of Connacht who had her marriage arranged by St. Patrick himself.
In 2003 Aoife was the third most popular baby girl name in Ireland.

Dubz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:29 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Educational spot, hehe...

Medbh
From an old Irish name Madb, "the cause of great joy" or "she who intoxicates." The great warrior queen of Connacht and embodiment of sovereignity she stars in Ireland's greatest epic "The Cattle Raid of Cooley" (read the legend). She left king Conchobhar Mac Nessa for Ailill because "you are a man without meaness, fear or jealousy, a match for my own greatness." But the couple quarrelled over who had the most possessions. Maebh's bull had defected to Ailill's herd and so she bought Daire's brown bull. When Daire went back on the deal she went to war with Cuchulainn (read the legend) and the province of Ulster to recover the bull.

Aoife
"beautiful, radiant, joyful." Known as the greatest woman warrior in the world, Aoife was the mother of Cuchulainn's (read the legend) only son, Connlach. Aoife Dearg ("Red Aoife") was a daughter of a king of Connacht who had her marriage arranged by St. Patrick himself.
In 2003 Aoife was the third most popular baby girl name in Ireland.

Dubz

Aww, nice, cheers Dubz.

"she who intoxicates." Hehehe, I'll remember that one ;)

Half my family is from Ireland but they've all got the run-of-the-mill boring English-sounding names.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:37 PM Quote
Don't knock the English names, for years one of my favourites was Bouadicia or Boudica as she's known now, But then the entamology of names has always fascinated me....

Aoife is basically Eva or Ava but I think it's wonderful how theses things translate... John, Eion, Owen, Ian, Alan, Jan, James, Seamus.

Weird Huh??

Dubz

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:17 AM