Travis

Re: looking through the bent backed tulips..
mozman68
mozman68 Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 5:09 PM Quote
I've noticed the board has deteriorated rapidly since I started posting all of my useless threads.....discuss.

But seriously though...maybe if the page took less than a minute to load...and posts weren't swapped...and people could leave comments....and you could actually see on the main page if someone responded in a thread you posted in...and....

People want to visit a board regularly, but only if it is easy to use and navigate...and live chat would be fun for most of the regulars sitting around on a Saturday with nothing to do.

I have to admit I was a serious lurker on the old board but would have posted a lot more if I knew it was going to be so difficult to do it now.

I'll be hanging on for a while as I'm still in serious Travis mode because I'm lucky enough to go to an upcoming show...but after that...TWT, better get off your asses and fix this site so people keep wanting to come back...they're not leaving, you're driving them away despite their love of this band and the other folks who like them.

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 7:41 PM Quote
mozman68 wrote:

But seriously though...maybe if the page took less than a minute to load...and posts weren't swapped...and people could leave comments....and you could actually see on the main page if someone responded in a thread you posted in...and....

Word

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:01 PM Quote
I lurked a lot on the old board and it seemed a really happy place to be, there were friendly lively people and chatty interesting discussions.
Much as I don't want to admit it, life as a boardie seems a bit duller at the moment. Everyone seems a bit flatter and I totally agree that people lay into you if you post something "wrong". They seem to gang up against you so you have to back down or get trampled over.
Nostalgia isn't a good thing, but this board is definitely missing something the old board had.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:11 PM Quote
lindsey22295 wrote:
mozman68 wrote:

Word

Word x2 Same thing happened last time they switched the board (To one where you had to sign in) Broke the Chatroom, & we all scattered to other, more user friendly venues.
Also, you can only start so many threads where you're talking to yourself.

isma
isma Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:11 PM Quote
Eh . That's just a fucking board!!! Why people take this place too seriously for god's sake!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:18 PM Quote
I don't agree that people are taking it too seriously Isma, but understandably people want it to be as good as it can be, and it looks like the feeling of community which is driven by high activity and regular visitors is fading.

That's quite reasonably making people concerned about it. I think it's great that people care enough to confront the issue and discuss it, and if people come together and change things for the better (TWT included here, as many of the issues with people coming back stem from the ease of use/competency, or lack of, of the board), then all power to them.

When this board is buzzing, there's no better place to be and no better people to share an internet community with. That people want to look after that and keep it going is to be admired, and I'm one of those people who want the board to be as good as it has been.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:19 PM Quote
For those not happy, please go ahead and launch discussion topics.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:33 PM Quote
Abs is right, it's down to the users, us to 'be the change we want to see'.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
"I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble."
--Sally
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

As a newbie here, I don't know what the old board was like either. Better, stronger, faster? If it was so great, why can't we get it changed back or at least bring back the aspects that made it better? Have you tried organizing a day where everyone bombards the site manager, Infinite Thrill, with e-mails? (I believe they are the ones responsible for the site, correct?) This is our board, it's here for us. I may be wrong, but I don't think the TWT pays attention to any posts other than the ones they put up themselves. I'd hate to say a short boycott of the board, but it might bring awareness to "the cause." Speed and post-switching being top priority?

What I do like about this board is how international it is. They only opportunity I get to interact with someone from another country would be chatting with the cashier at the dollar store. I kinda like hearing what people in other countries are doing with their hair, what music they listen to, etc.

I lurk mostly. Sometimes I have no idea what people are talking about--certain TV shows, music groups, various global issues. Sometimes it is because a thread seems to be a conversation between just two people or a small group who seem to know each other very well and I don't want to intrude. I'm a little afraid of some people. (cough-cough, Scottish Dubliner, cough-cough [wink]) I'm not going to invite criticism by saying, "I love 1950's Doo-Wop music!" Even though I do. I'm just not going to start a thread about it.

Obviously, we're here because we all share one similar interest. Not all our interests are going to be the same. I came here because I couldn't find anyone else who had ever heard of Travis and I was unsuccessful in converting my current real-life friends. I don't know how long I'll be living Boardie life, but it has given me what I was looking for and when Travis comes back to town, I'll have a boardie friend in the crowd.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:01 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

As a newbie here, I don't know what the old board was like either.

Me neither !
The old board didn't strike me as "better or more interesting" than this one.

Don't worry too much about ppl's approval.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:06 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

As a newbie here, I don't know what the old board was like either.

Me neither !
The old board didn't strike me as "better or more interesting" than this one.

Don't worry too much about ppl's approval.

Seconded. It doesn't matter. If you're good fun/not too stuffy/an interesting conversationalist on the board then you can like whatever kind of music you like.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:11 PM Quote
Turtleneck, if people who know each other well are having a conversation but you have something to add or just want to participate, you should! If it was so private they wouldn't be having it on a message board.

And Dubs is just a big softie. He likes debate but I've seen him apologize several times if someone feels he's gone too far and their feelings are hurt.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:13 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Turtleneck, if people who know each other well are having a conversation but you have something to add or just want to participate, you should! If it was so private they wouldn't be having it on a message board.

And Dubs is just a big softie. He likes debate but I've seen him apologize several times if someone feels he's gone too far and their feelings are hurt.

Yeah, Dubz's bark is far worse than his bite.

Also, WeirdPiggy is right, the best way to join in is just to join in.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:22 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Also, WeirdPiggy is right, the best way to join in is just to join in.

WeirdPiggy needs to update her picture otherwise it's harder to "picture" why she's called "Peggy la cochonne"

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:28 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Yeah, Dubz's bark is far worse than his bite.

"bite" in french slang means "cock"

since it adds nothing substancial to the discussion, i thougth i needed to say it

LOL

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:25 AM