Travis

trees fro whites only ?
Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 9:37 AM Quote
Being a Bowie fan this headline caught my attention

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7004151.stm>

reading through the article I was quite shocked, especially this paragraph......

"A black student asked the school's principal whether he was permitted to sit under the shade of the school courtyard tree, a place traditionally reserved for white students only. He was told he could sit where he liked.

The following morning, when the students arrived at school, they found three nooses dangling from the tree. "

The school's head recommended the noose-hangers be expelled but the governing board overruled him and the three white student perpetrators were briefly suspended.

... reserved for white students ?????? what the f*** !!!

ok I might be naive, I thought that was long in the past!
*shakes head*

Re: trees fro whites only ?
Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:00 AM Quote
Just read about that in a Danish newspaper. It's absolutely horrible. I too thought that this was in the past. However it said in that article that in this town, racial segregation is still very much alive and a part of every-day life. It scares me that people can be so dumb.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:49 AM Quote
glad I'm not alone. I just can't understand this. Especially young people !

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:03 AM Quote
This is becoming a pretty big story over here. When I read about it a few weeks ago I felt sick that someone would hang a noose from a tree.

They had a protest there yesterday (or sometime this week) and the university here held one as well.

It's horribly troubling but take heart that most people agree with you and not the racist nutjobs.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:10 AM Quote
Ursina wrote:

reading through the article I was quite shocked, especially this paragraph......

"A black student asked the school's principal whether he was permitted to sit under the shade of the school courtyard tree, a place traditionally reserved for white students only. He was told he could sit where he liked.

The following morning, when the students arrived at school, they found three nooses dangling from the tree. "

The school's head recommended the noose-hangers be expelled but the governing board overruled him and the three white student perpetrators were briefly suspended.

*shakes head*

Who said it was a place "reserved for white students"?
I can't get the article link to work.
To add a different point of view I would say it could be possible that this would happen anywhere. In my high school there were places reserved for smokers/non-smokers/goths etc. Not that this was being "racist" (or anything-ist), that was just how it happened to be. The nooses do add a sinister tone, but kids are sometimes evil by nature (or nurture?) and I think the race card gets played too often. And I'm gonna be slaughtered for this ... probably ...

*edit* Got the link to work ... it makes more sense now :D

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:43 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Ursina wrote:

*shakes head*

Who said it was a place "reserved for white students"?
I can't get the article link to work.
To add a different point of view I would say it could be possible that this would happen anywhere. In my high school there were places reserved for smokers/non-smokers/goths etc. Not that this was being "racist" (or anything-ist), that was just how it happened to be. The nooses do add a sinister tone, but kids are sometimes evil by nature (or nurture?) and I think the race card gets played too often. And I'm gonna be slaughtered for this ... probably ...

*edit* Got the link to work ... it makes more sense now :D

Sunny ! you're saved from the noose ! just !

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:44 AM Quote
I agree that not all feuds between whites and blacks (sorry for not being PC) are motivated by racism. Sometimes that card is played too often. However, hanging nooses from a tree is definitely too much...

All these demonstrations just go to show that only a minority is like that. We've got those w*nkers here as well, neo-nazis and whatnot. Hardly anyone sympathise with them, but they can still make life a living hell for some people.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:46 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
This is becoming a pretty big story over here. When I read about it a few weeks ago I felt sick that someone would hang a noose from a tree.

They had a protest there yesterday (or sometime this week) and the university here held one as well.

It's horribly troubling but take heart that most people agree with you and not the racist nutjobs.

I would want to believe so :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:22 PM Quote
And really what is being protested is that 6 black students were charged with attempted murder of a fellow white student that they beat. Yes that is terrible but the victim went to a school function that night so while he was hurt and could have been killed it wasn't like he was literally on the brink of death.

As revenge some white kids beat a fellow black student and he ended up in the hospital. Those kids were only charged with aggravated assault or something like that.

So yes, both instances are terrible and all the students should be punished but the fact that black students got charged with a harsher crime when their victim was not hurt as badly is highly suspect.

(note: I could have the facts slightly wrong since I haven't read anything in a few weeks about this)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:31 PM Quote
When I read your post, Ursina, I was sure it's a story from the '50s. Terrible! I don't really know what's worse- nooses incident or the fact that the f*cking tree is "traditionally reserved for the white students"! It's XXI century, for Christ's sake!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:00 AM