Travis

Where's the marketing?!
McJen
McJen Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 11:40 AM Quote
So theres just oevr 2 weeks until My Eyes is released, what I want to know is where is the marketing?
The record company really seem to be letting Travis (and the fans) down with this album - My Eyes has the potential to be the defining song of the album (just like Selfish Jean did before it), yet its not being played on Radio one, and is only making the B playlist on Radio 2.
Why is no one making an effort to push the song harder, has everyone just given up?

Re: Where's the marketing?!
Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 11:45 AM Quote
McJen wrote:
has everyone just given up?

In a word - Yes.

Sara Anna
Sara Anna Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 12:12 PM Quote
McJen wrote:
So theres just oevr 2 weeks until My Eyes is released, what I want to know is where is the marketing?
The record company really seem to be letting Travis (and the fans) down with this album - My Eyes has the potential to be the defining song of the album (just like Selfish Jean did before it), yet its not being played on Radio one, and is only making the B playlist on Radio 2.
Why is no one making an effort to push the song harder, has everyone just given up?

I wonder why that is?
I had noticed, had XFM on all weekend, not heard it once and I may be dissapointed with this album but I do like this song. I don't think the band are botherd about chart positions but thought the record company would want a good return on their investment at least and would be going into over drive with the promotion.

McJen
McJen Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 1:02 PM Quote
Sara Anna wrote:
I don't think the band are botherd about chart positions but thought the record company would want a good return on their investment at least and would be going into over drive with the promotion.

I think the band should be worried about their chart place, not for making money or any of those sort of reasons, but for getting their music out there and bringing in new fans - ultimately responsiblity lies with the record company, but I can't help but feeling the band could be a bit more proactive - maybe a couple more signings/live performances at record stores to drum up a bit more interest *shrugs* it makes me feel sad that they're not getting the praise they deserve for this album

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 1:40 PM Quote
Oh for God's sake- we do this with every single now. Maybe the band don't want to be number 1. There are more important things like family and kids to worry about for them now. And they know they've got their fanbase, so why should they worry about success, fame and fortune now?

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 2:33 PM Quote
This board needs to stop with these threads.

Please.

Why would you even want to be on Radio 1? It's in the toilet compared to how it was around 5-10 years ago.

sasje1984
sasje1984 Posted Sun 02 Sep, 2007 4:24 PM Quote
argg dont moan ;) at least they played Travis songs on the radio there in UK. I never ever heard a Travis song on Dutch radio here.. :(

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 6:27 AM Quote
easy, easy. she just wants to spread the love.

Sara Anna
Sara Anna Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 8:14 AM Quote
McJen wrote:
Sara Anna wrote:
I don't think the band are botherd about chart positions but thought the record company would want a good return on their investment at least and would be going into over drive with the promotion.

I think the band should be worried about their chart place, not for making money or any of those sort of reasons, but for getting their music out there and bringing in new fans - ultimately responsiblity lies with the record company, but I can't help but feeling the band could be a bit more proactive - maybe a couple more signings/live performances at record stores to drum up a bit more interest *shrugs* it makes me feel sad that they're not getting the praise they deserve for this album

McJen, in your defense I just want to say that you posted this because you are a fan of Travis music. At the end of the day, it's about the music and we're here because of the music. So whever it's positive or negative, you say what you feel about it, don't let anyone put you off, everyone has a right to debate and say what they think, no one has a right to tell you what to do.
It's called freedom of speech.

Sarah x

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 8:28 AM Quote
McJen wrote:
Sara Anna wrote:

I totally agree with you. If they wanted to be successful with this album (and maybe they didn't), they've gone about it in totally the wrong way. I love the album, it would be nice to see it sell a few copies.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 10:47 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Oh for God's sake- we do this with every single now. Maybe the band don't want to be number 1. There are more important things like family and kids to worry about for them now. And they know they've got their fanbase, so why should they worry about success, fame and fortune now?

A fanbase doesn't pay all the bills.

McJen
McJen Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 12:03 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

I totally agree with you. If they wanted to be successful with this album (and maybe they didn't), they've gone about it in totally the wrong way. I love the album, it would be nice to see it sell a few copies.

Thats all I was getting at, and I'm not too bothered that people weren't happy with me bringing up the topic again - but it's something that matters to me, surely we all want to see the band succeed.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 12:43 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
paul_c wrote:

I don't think Travis have to worry about paying the bills any more somehow. From a source close to the person, i know that a member of Snow Patrol last year received over £400,000 for co-writing two songs on one album, Eyes Open- and that's only from album sales alone, before gigs, merch, etc. So if Travis are on their 5th (6th if you count Singles) album, do you really think they're going to have money worries now???

That's if they were ever worried about money of course. They seem to have always been in it for the music and i think that's still the case, which could explain why they or the record company don't seem to be bothered about this world domination that every one else seems to want them to achieve

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 1:05 PM Quote
McJen wrote:
Thats all I was getting at, and I'm not too bothered that people weren't happy with me bringing up the topic again - but it's something that matters to me, surely we all want to see the band succeed.

It's just boring now, whether I agree with you or not, this has been done to death on this board. Move on.

Sunny wrote:

http://i17.tinypic.com/4ozx386.jpg

Of course it does. Multiple platinum albums, sold out tours, most of that income come from the fanbase.

Sara Anna wrote:
McJen wrote:
Sara Anna wrote:

McJen, in your defense I just want to say that you posted this because you are a fan of Travis music. At the end of the day, it's about the music and we're here because of the music. So whever it's positive or negative, you say what you feel about it, don't let anyone put you off, everyone has a right to debate and say what they think, no one has a right to tell you what to do.
It's called freedom of speech.

Sarah x

A few things :- I think Travis have more than paid back their record company over their time. I'm actually unsure whether you want them to succeed for them, or for you. Yes, we're all here because of the music, and that old chestnut 'freedom of speech' has been brought up, which is a crock of shit really but I'll let that go for now, but that doesn't give anyone here the right to tell the world how we would manage the band's affairs differently. It's not Big Brother, we as the public don't have the vote here. Just let the people who are paid to do that get on with it.

Seriously, if the height of your worries is how a band you like manages their strategy, then you've got yourself a easy life.

McJen
McJen Posted Mon 03 Sep, 2007 1:07 PM Quote
For someone who didn't like the thread much, you're very outspoken on it! I don't want to get anyones back up so I'm gonna stop reading it after this post but paul_c, you've taken my original comments totally out of context - I don't think anyone needs/wants any money, or noteriety for that matter.

The whole point of me bringing this up again was in support of the band - the great music they write/perform and the amazing album is going largely unrecognized by the masses and I think its sad. Its all well and good having a loyal fanbase, but surely the reason any band writes music is so the most people possible can hear and enjoy it. I love Travis and I just think its a shame that more people aren't getting in to them because of bad (and I think unfair) reviews in the press, followed by a lack of positive marketing to counteract this.

The End x :-)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:35 AM