Re: First song by Travis you heard
mayfly
mayfly Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 3:02 PM Quote
Writing to reach you.

I thought the band name was dull.

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
When the "Man Who" came out on in 2000 I read this awesome write up about it in some Chick mag....I can't remember which one....but they compared it to Radio head who I was listening to religiously. So I seriously just tore out the clipping took it to my nearest music store and bought the album. I was IN LOVE!! The first song that pulled me in was "As You Are". I listened to it over and over and over. Then of course I then bought their first album. Then made sure to see them live everytime they came my way and they are now a fixture in my life.

cartoonmatrix
cartoonmatrix Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 4:33 PM Quote
I was listening to BBC 1 online when I was about 16 or 17(whenever Man Who was out). I heard a song I liked but didn't write down the song title or the band name. I remember it said something about driftwood. It oft came to my mind later on and kicked myself for not writing it down.
Some time later, maybe years, I was watching MTV2 which was playing on regular MTV for some reason. I had my head turned but a song suddenly caught my ear. I turned to watch the video. It was "Sing" by Travis. I love the video, being a blend of scenes from the Beatles movie "Help!" and another classic film. But it was the song that hooked me. It sounded like coming home.
Anyway, I bought The Invisible Band, and loved it. One day while looking at the other albums they had, I came across a song called "Driftwood." It was one of those moment that it akin to putting the last piece of the puzzle in and the picture becoming whole. I looked at the song, the lyrics and bought the album and when I got it, played the song. It was my song, my song I lost and found again. It was my band I was meant to love long before I did.
So technically I knew it was Travis at "Sing" but "Driftwood" was my first song.

Joana
Joana Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 5:02 PM Quote
I think it was "why does it always rain on me". I was watching VH1 and the video started...I will never forget the look of fear on Neil's face...the dead animal...and well...I guess Fran touching Dougie's ass made quite an impression!!

It was magical...lol

Meridith
Meridith Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 5:53 PM Quote
For me it was WDIAROM. I've been in love ever since!

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 6:19 PM Quote
Sing

mmm...on mtv
i guess

kurai
kurai Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:07 PM Quote
For me it was also WDIAROM.
I remember that I was watiching MTV one rainy day
and they showed the video.
From that moment on I was totally in love with their music.

kurai
kurai Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:07 PM Quote
For me it was also WDIAROM.
I remember that I was watching MTV one rainy day
and they showed the video.
From that moment on I was totally in love with their music.

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:11 PM Quote
Tied To The 90's.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:14 PM Quote
U16 Girls, on Shine 8.

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:23 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
U16 Girls, on Shine 8.

I remember those Shine albums. One of the discs was always really good and the other was a bit crappy with about one good song on it!

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:27 PM Quote
technically the first song was side...but the one that really made me fall for Travis was turn...loungin' around the pool with my friend Jared...he burned a few songs for me and i became a cuckoo for them. ;)

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 8:49 PM Quote
I was in L.A. on a business trip and stopped in at the Virgin store to buy some CD's (this was before iTunes)...I ended up buying about $300 worth so they gave me a free sampler CD, and it was actually the one from the month before (the guy said it had better songs on it than the current one).

One of the songs on there was Driftwood...went right back and bought Good Feeling and The Man Who the next day. Haven't looked back since.

btw...that CD also introduced me to Supreme Beings of Leisure, Leona Naess, Primal Scream, Chantal Kreviazuk, Air, The Eels, Smith & Mighty, Femi Kuti, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Shelby Lynne, Mos Def, Clinton, Amel Larrieux, Supergrass and Groove Armada.....now I'm listening to that disc...weeeeeeeee

Matthias
Matthias Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 9:51 PM Quote
absolutely WDIAROM. I first heard it in school, but I didn't really like that. Next songs I downoload after 2 months. These were Side and Sing.

elodie
elodie Posted Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:17 PM Quote
More Than Us

I was 12 or 13 (can't exactly remember... the thing is that I hadn't an internet connexion at home)
I heard that song on a compilation and the first thing I thought was that the voice was incredibly deep and nice.
Then, I got a computer and one of the first thing I did was to find informations about the guy or the band called 'Travis'... and so I'm here!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:27 AM