Travis

Future of Travis?...and The Travis Conspiracy
Grelar
Grelar Posted Sun 29 Jul, 2007 3:09 PM Quote
I know, I know, it's way too early to be thinking about their next offering, and you're probably right, but I'm curious.
I know they mean to support this current cd with alot of gigs to try and keep a constant presence, which I'm assuming could take the better part of the next year, but does that also include coming out with new material within 2-1/2 years you think...and then following that up with more touring?
I've heard conflicting thoughts on this...1) The guys' priorities have understandably changed a bit with age, families, etc and they aren't all that interested in getting back on top of the charts or being away from said families for great periods time or 2) They intend to make an effort to juggle business and family for the next few years to get back to where they were prior to '12 Memories'? (which we Travis fans liked, but it wasn't received as well by the casual listener)

Oh, wow, that brings up another issue. Radio play. They had it in abundance for The Man Who and The Invisible Band, but to be honest, they've disappeared from the 'waves here in the U.S. since then. '12' wasn't supported much, so didn't really get out to the masses. 'TBWNN' has gotten support here in the Twin Cities from our public radio, but it hasn't gotten any play on the bigger commercial stations that most casual folk listen to. I've a sneaking suspicion that if they did get played on those stations, they wouldn't have to fight so hard to get back into the limelight if they so chose. Which, being the conspiracy-minded fellow that I am, leads me into something I've felt for the last 6 years.

Good Lord, this is too much for one topic. Sorry.

The Travis Conspiracy - This is where my paranoid self comes out. :)
I know they've always been very accessible. Allowed us all to take pics, videos, etc, to no end....which is part of the reason we all love 'em. They've also mentioned getting their music and listening to it through whatever means necessary, ie, download it from the internet from other who are sharing it. Back when the line was drawn in the sand for Napster, when alot of the big bands and distributers were trying to get us to pay to download their stuff, Travis was poo-pooing the stance and saying get it however you can. I've always wondered if by doing that, they've shot themselves in the foot so to speak. Is the industry black-balling this band to a certain extent?

Re: Future of Travis?...and The Travis Conspiracy
mecarr
mecarr Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:19 AM Quote
I don't really agree with your conspiracy theory. There are a host of reasons why Travis hasnot been played much, if at all, on the radio. Radio stations go with what is really popular at the moment. Any song that may take more than one listen to get the feel of it is off limits on the radio stations. Travis is better off without trying to appeal to narrow-mindedness that is the radio industry.

cartoonmatrix
cartoonmatrix Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 7:13 AM Quote
Actually,from my observations, they are finally getting the recognition they deserve. Music critics have taken notice, liking their album and will admit, "Hey, without Travis, many bands wouldn't be around." They have said the same of The Beatles so I think that is pretty good :)
If they leave, it won't be because they don't have support. They play them on the radio in Atlanta and other Georgia stations. Besides, radio is years behind here. They are playing Kt Tunstall that was popular in England 2 years ago.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 30 Jul, 2007 7:55 AM Quote
the industry can't stop these boys! they'll do what they want, how they want it! :D they'll never be gone so long as there's fans out there like us who are devoted and don't go chasing every new fad out there

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:31 PM