Travis

Philanthropy
Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 3:05 AM Quote

Re: Philanthropy
infragilis
infragilis Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 3:40 AM Quote
Joanna Hanner wrote:
Since then, I've thought about how great everyone has been - both at the show and here on the boards. Anyway, my thought was - I think it would be a really wonderful thing for all the boardies to join together to do something nice for the world - and in a way, to honor the things that Trav-Baby has done.

Would anyone be interested in this? Let me know your thoughts! Sorry if I'm overly sentimental or too much of a cheerleader - I can't help it.

I think it would be interesting. I don't really know what to do, but I'd love to help in any way I can.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 4:03 AM Quote

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 4:03 AM Quote

physalia
physalia Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 5:29 AM Quote
What a great idea! Travis has definately changed my life for the better, and I really like the idea Travis fans joining together to honor what the band has done for us and the world.

I teach high school - one of the groups I sponsor has raised money in the past for Invisible Children by putting on different performances and other fundraisers. I can see something like this working, but I also think it would be great if all the boardies here could come up with something independent.

I'm kind of sleepy right now, and I'm not very good at thinking when I'm tired, but I wanted to add my support to this great idea.

feri
feri Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 6:28 AM Quote
I don't have an original idea, but this is something I heard about at a Global Conference. It's called the Bracelet of Hope. They're simple bracelets, each is about 5 Dollars. I think the project was started in some Canadian universities. Basically students went around and educated people about Africa and tried to sell these bracelet.

[url=]http://www.uoguelph.ca/president/masai/[/url]

'Bracelets for Hope - $5.00
Each Bracelet of Hope is produced by a rural women's cooperative in Eshowe, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. The Inina Craft Agency was established as a poverty relief project and is providing much needed employment for the families of this district. One woman can make 50 bracelets a day, earning enough to keep her children fed and pay school fees for one month.'

This project is not about ordering one bracelet and thinking you're making a change. It's about going around your school/work discussing the problems in South Africa and how these bracelets are helping to make a difference in a small way. I think it's such a simple yet beneficial idea. A bracelet is not expensive to buy and at the same time others can benefit through it.

Imagine if a project like this was taken to a national/international level!

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 4:12 PM Quote
These are all great ideas.....I would be on board to make the world a better place!

I agree...after a live concert Travis just gives you those feel good, I love life emotions. I can also be a little sentimental.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 5:57 PM Quote

emilianna21
emilianna21 Posted Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:55 PM Quote
I would love to give back a little something as well. At a show a few years back Travis really hit home with one of my very best friends during a difficult and confusing time in her life and anything that I could do to make a small difference would be so fulfilling to me. No ideas off the top of my head, but all the ones posted sound really great. What are we waiting for??

physalia
physalia Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:36 AM Quote
OK. I'm much more awake now than I was last night, and I have been thinking about this all day.

I agree that it would be less work to use an existing program, and there are certainly lots of ways we could do that.

But I also think it would be excellent if as many different Travis fans that wanted to were able to get in on the effor, which makes me think we would need do to something designed with that goal in mind and kind of unique to Travis fans.

Depending on how much interest there is, maybe we should start small. I'm thinking mini fund raisers that we can do in small groups, and then donate the money we raise to a designated charity.

I really like the idea of raising money to build inner city playgrounds, or even something dedicated to help keeping art and music education programs in our inner city schools.

Obviously, there are hundreds of things we could do - hopefully we get a lot of interest!

feri
feri Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 1:43 AM Quote
I think you guys should check out [url=]http://www.takingitglobal.org/[/url]. It's an awesome site. It's basically an online NGO. Think facebook, except for social/political issues. It's designed so you can hear about new/different organizations and join the ones you feel passionate about.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 2:02 AM Quote

physalia
physalia Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 2:31 AM Quote
Rock for Kids does seem like a great organization - we could either help raise money for donation, or even get groups of Travis fans to volunteer at events.

Just from looking around their site, though, it does seem to be just Chicago based. I happened to click on a link for supportmusic.com, here, and have been browsing that site for a bit. It seems to be US based, at least.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 2:52 AM Quote

physalia
physalia Posted Fri 27 Jul, 2007 3:05 AM Quote
We can also give it a few days and see if more people respond. A lot of people might find the thread over the weekend.

Either way - I still want to go forward with this too!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:30 PM