Travis

Re: Selfish Jean no.30 on UK singles chart
paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:03 AM Quote
But maybe, just maybe, Travis are happy at where they are. I mean, they've said that they did this album at their own pace and just gave it to the record company when it was finished- no pushy record company could be what they want.

And they've got a good sort of "cult" following now. Think about it- they're all getting on a bit, and as we all know, they've all got family. So maybe they don't want the world domination that they nearly once had now.

I've been lucky enough to see 4 gigs on this album, and it seems to me that they're in the best form they've ever been on stage. I saw them on the 12 Memories tour, and they just didn't seem to be enjoying it as much then as they are now. Right now they just seem so suited to the smaller venues packed with proper fans, rather than they did in the big arenas, mostly filled with people who were there to see the 'band of the moment'.

All of this could explain the lack of marketing of the singles. Maybe, just maybe, Travis are too old for world domination now- and maybe they're not trying to push the boat out because they know this. Music is really important to them- you can tell that. But there are other things in life to be getting on with at the age they're at, so i think that's where their hearts are headed in this day and age.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:13 AM Quote
Very true. They seem happy with their lot.Ultimately that is more important than anything.

martina
martina Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 7:24 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
But maybe, just maybe, Travis are happy at where they are. I mean, they've said that they did this album at their own pace and just gave it to the record company when it was finished- no pushy record company could be what they want.

And they've got a good sort of "cult" following now. Think about it- they're all getting on a bit, and as we all know, they've all got family. So maybe they don't want the world domination that they nearly once had now.

I've been lucky enough to see 4 gigs on this album, and it seems to me that they're in the best form they've ever been on stage. I saw them on the 12 Memories tour, and they just didn't seem to be enjoying it as much then as they are now. Right now they just seem so suited to the smaller venues packed with proper fans, rather than they did in the big arenas, mostly filled with people who were there to see the 'band of the moment'.

All of this could explain the lack of marketing of the singles. Maybe, just maybe, Travis are too old for world domination now- and maybe they're not trying to push the boat out because they know this. Music is really important to them- you can tell that. But there are other things in life to be getting on with at the age they're at, so i think that's where their hearts are headed in this day and age.

I agree with everything you say... plus Travis are already very lucky, compared to many other good bands that will never get a top 40 single... let alone a top 5 album :(

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 8:27 AM Quote
martina wrote:
paul_c wrote:

I agree with everything you say... plus Travis are already very lucky, compared to many other good bands that will never get a top 40 single... let alone a top 5 album :(

I get the impression that although the music is important to them, they also want to enjoy life outside the industry (partners, children etc) and that maybe chart success is becoming less of an issue now - they've got their true fans behind them all the way, that's what counts.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:08 AM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
I don't think Travis are unfashionable. Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Keane and even Athlete are all very popular. People just need to re-discover Travis. They need to stick to this album because it IS quality. They will succeed if they push it and believe in it. My Eyes, Battleships, Colder. Song by song, Travis will rule again! :)

yep, I agree with that. I'm just pretty down at the moment because two of my fave bands have really struggled to make an impact in the charts and every radio station I switch to in the car, I'm hearing Rihanna, Beyonce, rappers.....agh!!

Gotta agree with the marketing thing - someone needs to be shot over the lack of it! This was such a strong single, IMO far stronger than Closer - and it was released at a strange time, when Travis weren't doing the festivals as already said, with little or no airplay or promotion. It's like it was doomed not to make any impact, and I really think this could have been THE song to put Travis back on the map. From the first time I heard it on myspace I had it down as a major hit, so #30 is a bit gutting.

Hopefully this could be a wake up call for whoever's being paid NOT to promote it. Assuming My Eyes is next, they're really gonna have to go to town on promoting the thing or they might as well give up.

Yes, we've all been saying it i know but its obvious. They need to push it. They pushed Closer a lot harder. I never actually said it on here i don't think but i've thought it for a while that My Eyes is THE song. Selfish Jean is great but i think that My Eyes is the song that can put Travis back to the top. Or on their way back to the top. I think they need to make sure they've got a good 6th album, and to release singles off this album upto the release of the 6th. If they want to be successful, they need to put out 8 singles in my opinion with no real gap between them. That's 5 off this album. Maybe a new song as single 6 and then bring out album 6 in early '09.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:52 AM Quote
I was surprised at the low position, seeing as it has been played on Virgin a huge amount of times - seems like every time I switch to Virgin it's playing. Radio 2 have played it a lot too.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:53 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
then bring out album 6 in early '09.

Doesn't their contract run out after this album?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:56 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
then bring out album 6 in early '09.

Doesn't their contract run out after this album?

No idea. I shouldn't think they'll be a problem though.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:59 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Keep a hold on that optimism ...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:07 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Oh come on!

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:08 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Oh come on!

Come on what? I was only saying ...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:12 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Oh come on!

Come on what? I was only saying ...

I know you were only saying. But Travis aren't going to have any problems releasing a 6th album. Especially when they start to climb back up the charts.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:13 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

I know you were only saying. But Travis aren't going to have any problems releasing a 6th album. Especially when they start to climb back up the charts.

And when did you see this in your crystal ball?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:14 AM Quote
Sunny wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

And when did you see this in your crystal ball?

Oh if you're going to start all this again, i'm off. You're so negative.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:15 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Oh if you're going to start all this again, i'm off. You're so negative.

I think you'll find the word is realist.

What does it take to have a decent debate, eh?

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:37 AM