Travis

Re: Should Marijuana Be Legalized?
Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:17 AM Quote
well, its actually not leeegal here, its just decriminalized when you dont have the intent of trafficking (less than 10grams or something). its legal if you have a prescription. But I just found out that Canadians smoke more weed than most countries, 4x more than the world average, nealy 17% toked in `06....crazy

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 7:56 AM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
I think it shouldn't be legal, but then again I don't think cigs should be legal either.

Having said that, if it were made legal here (its already legal in Canada as I found out to my great surprise) I think it would have to be on a selling basis - it shouldn't be smoked anywhere but in the privacy of your home, fines should still be put down for being caught actually using it in public space (something to that effect) but should be legal to buy in highly controlled shops, and use in ones own home.

I also think that if it was legal, there would be bigger problems - people would move onto 'harder' stuff since its not taboo. It would also encourage general kids and so forth to be hunting for canabis, rather than for cigarettes, or a combination of the two - if its a bit more possible, then people will do it. It opens up the opportunity to everyone, even geeky goody goodys like myself - thats an area of socitey people will forget about - the folks who would never dream of it BECAUSE its illegal, will now think 'why not?', and do that, and the people already on it will go onto harder things.

Theres so many different ways it could swing, but what are we losing with it being illegal? Its just slightly harder to come by and use, thats all - well there its just a frickin challenge isn't it?

Anyway quite done with that

cheers!

I think the biggest things you lose with not having it legalized are:
- no control over the substance (like you opted in your post)
- it still being "taboo" meaning it is not open for disgussion, meaning it is harder for people to get help when or if addicted or get information before using it. (internet is not all it is cracked up to be when it comes to info on druguse- no pun intended).
i think it is a good thing it's legalized in Holland, i don't think there are more addicted people now then before.

Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 9:14 AM Quote
Yeh I think it should be legalized.

harry potter wrote:

What's your opinion on this issue?

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:18 AM Quote
I don't think anyone should smoke that shite, it gives me a headache just to smell the stuff.

However, I don't know whether it should be legal or not. Making it legal would be an odd signal to send, especially now that they're trying to ban tobacco. It's not like it's more healthy to smoke weed. It's just as addictive, plus it has some adverse effects that 'normal' tobacco don't have. Apart from the fact that you can get a full-blown psychosis, it has other long-term effects on your behaviour, such as laziness. Sounds harmless, but if you start smoking it all the time, you start caring less about work and other obligations. You make plans, but you never get around to do anything about them.

I suppose the positive effect of legalising marijuana would be the fact that you could control it better. Just like in some countries, where drug addicts can come to certain facilities and take drugs. This way it is ensured that the addicts get clean drugs, and it takes business away from the drug dealers.

In other words, it's a difficult decision to make!

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:24 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
I don't think anyone should smoke that shite, it gives me a headache just to smell the stuff.

i know, it really smells awefull!
I never smoked it, if fact i only smoked one sigaret in my life and thought it was a horrible way of spending time and money. i better stop now before i'm gonna sound like "the girl that never did anything daring" :)

Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:26 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
Hanne wrote:

i know, it really smells awefull!
I never smoked it, if fact i only smoked one sigaret in my life and thought it was a horrible way of spending time and money. i better stop now before i'm gonna sound like "the girl that never did anything daring" :)

At least you smoked a cigarette... I've never even touched those. I'm such a goodie-twoshoes lol

And like you, I've never seen the point of wasting my money on those when I could waste it all on sweets hehe

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:29 PM Quote
I dont think it should be legalised.Ive seen it screw peoples heads up. Anything like that should not be legal.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:41 PM Quote
The biggest problem is all these nutters who try and profess that cannabis is 'good for your health' because they hear one nutter say it, then another one passes it on, then another one - and you try and have a conversation with them about it and all kinds of rubbish like "cannabis is good for removing the tar from your lungs that you get with cigaretes" and its just SO stupid. So you get all these rebels without a clue and rebels without a cause who ACTUALLY think it IS legal, and those who think they are penalised against.
The fact of the matter is, like many other narcotics, cannabis leads to depression, permanent mental illness, permanent mental degradation, damage to brain tissue. Now I'm not saying any of the effects are obvious, and to be honest they do have to have been subjected to cannabis for a while, but it still happens, and people still think they can drive whilst stoned, and go around torturing innocent civillians with their stories of how everything is so alive with detail and how "cannabis makes me calm" or "relieves my depression" or "is my real state - the non canabis world is the fake one...its like the matrix"

If you're gonna try and be deep, actually start reading and learning, instead of spouting third hand friggin rubbish onto people with an IQ that has more than 2 digits!!!!!!

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:59 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
The biggest problem is all these nutters who try and profess that cannabis is 'good for your health' because they hear one nutter say it, then another one passes it on, then another one - and you try and have a conversation with them about it and all kinds of rubbish like "cannabis is good for removing the tar from your lungs that you get with cigaretes" and its just SO stupid. So you get all these rebels without a clue and rebels without a cause who ACTUALLY think it IS legal, and those who think they are penalised against.
The fact of the matter is, like many other narcotics, cannabis leads to depression, permanent mental illness, permanent mental degradation, damage to brain tissue. Now I'm not saying any of the effects are obvious, and to be honest they do have to have been subjected to cannabis for a while, but it still happens, and people still think they can drive whilst stoned, and go around torturing innocent civillians with their stories of how everything is so alive with detail and how "cannabis makes me calm" or "relieves my depression" or "is my real state - the non canabis world is the fake one...its like the matrix"

If you're gonna try and be deep, actually start reading and learning, instead of spouting third hand friggin rubbish onto people with an IQ that has more than 2 digits!!!!!!

I think there is one "but", to your post. There are a lot of people with MS or on chemo that stated that m. relieved them of pain, and feeling ill. It think there are circomstances where maruijana has a medicinal function.

i just realised..
How weird is it people getting all worked up about hash and other "drugs", but still think getting completly hammered everday of the weekend is very cool? How much damage does drinking? How adictive is drinking? If you look at the figures then alcohol makes more victims then hash. (Not that i improve of any kind of drugs, in case anyone wonders).

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:11 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
[quote="DavesUrMan"]

I think there is one "but", to your post. There are a lot of people with MS or on chemo that stated that m. relieved them of pain, and feeling ill. It think there are circomstances where maruijana has a medicinal function.

i just realised..
How weird is it people getting all worked up about hash and other "drugs", but still think getting completly hammered everday of the weekend is very cool? How much damage does drinking? How adictive is drinking? If you look at the figures then alcohol makes more victims then hash. (Not that i improve of any kind of drugs, in case anyone wonders).

To an extent you are right about the medicinal use, but thats what pain killers and prescribed morphine is for. Most people I've spoken to who have it for medicinal purposes admit that it helped at first, and now does nothing but they take it anyway, or say I don't need it any more but am still taking it. Its a bit of a grey area.

As for drinking, youre right about the casualties etc and accidents - its really awful.
Over-drinking will lead to liver problems, and possibly kidney problems after a LOT of over-drinking, but the liver, luckily, is regeneratable - maybe god was being kind I don't know. Serious serious alcohol abuse can lead to brain cell detachment, but thats infrequent.

But I mean you can get into pain killers, caffeine, cigarettes, car fumes, plane fumes, power plants, and all sorts down that road....!

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 12:24 PM