bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:38 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
Whenever non-Americans try to mimic an American accent, they usually speak like George Bush. Everyone seems to think that we all speak with southern or Texas accents.

People also don't seem to have a grasp of how large the country is. For example, I had a friend who was in Boston for a visit, and he had a brother who lived in Chicago. He thought that he could just rent a car to visit his brother one Saturday.

why can't you rent a car then ?

You could rent a car, but its a 32-hour roundtrip drive, so it's not exactly a day-trip as he had thought!

except if you're driving french-style !

Ah yes. French-style, German-style. I know it well. When I was in Europe for work, I kept grossly underestimating the amount of time it would take for me to drive to meetings, because everyone gave me driving estimates based on driving 100 mph. And it's not like I'm timid behind the wheel or anything!!

i had an american teacher who on his 1st time in France rented a car to do sight-seeing and whenever he asked how long it would take to drive from Paris to Marseille, ppl would ask "what kind of car d'you have ?". He couldn't figure out why ppl said that until someone explained that if you have a wee car, you drive slowly but if you have a big car, you can speed up on the motorway.
Make sens doesn't it ?

It makes complete sense, but most Americans probably aren't comfortable driving that fast, even with a big car. For me, I just knew to add an hour onto the drive time that was given to me, and I'd be fine.

Re: Crazy things you've heard about yr country
happy_me
happy_me Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:41 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:
Scotland's attached to Norway.

Oh I wish it was!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:43 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
Whenever non-Americans try to mimic an American accent, they usually speak like George Bush. Everyone seems to think that we all speak with southern or Texas accents.

People also don't seem to have a grasp of how large the country is. For example, I had a friend who was in Boston for a visit, and he had a brother who lived in Chicago. He thought that he could just rent a car to visit his brother one Saturday.

why can't you rent a car then ?

You could rent a car, but its a 32-hour roundtrip drive, so it's not exactly a day-trip as he had thought!

except if you're driving french-style !

Ah yes. French-style, German-style. I know it well. When I was in Europe for work, I kept grossly underestimating the amount of time it would take for me to drive to meetings, because everyone gave me driving estimates based on driving 100 mph. And it's not like I'm timid behind the wheel or anything!!

i had an american teacher who on his 1st time in France rented a car to do sight-seeing and whenever he asked how long it would take to drive from Paris to Marseille, ppl would ask "what kind of car d'you have ?". He couldn't figure out why ppl said that until someone explained that if you have a wee car, you drive slowly but if you have a big car, you can speed up on the motorway.
Make sens doesn't it ?

It makes complete sense, but most Americans probably aren't comfortable driving that fast, even with a big car. For me, I just knew to add an hour onto the drive time that was given to me, and I'd be fine.

on the other hand a friend of mine got a ticket for driving too fast on an american highway - this eejit even told the cop that it's too bad he couldn't enjoy driving fast in America !!!

Natasa
Natasa Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:48 PM Quote
People from all over the world are coming to Greece to do the most crazy things they have in mind cause they can't do them in their countries..and generally have as much fun as they want..

That's the reputation of my country for most of the tourists coming here!Haha :P

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
Natasa wrote:
People from all over the world are coming to Greece to do the most crazy things they have in mind cause they can't do them in their countries..and generally have as much fun as they want..

That's the reputation of my country for most of the tourists coming here!Haha :P

in France, we say greek men are gay - fyi

harry potter
harry potter Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:52 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
...I just knew to add an hour onto the drive time that was given to me, and I'd be fine.

yeah, pity though you can't add that philosophy to getting your arse out the door on time every workday morning.

Natasa
Natasa Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:55 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Natasa wrote:

Why that?*thinks*
I've heard from greeks and others that they think the same thing for french men..:S

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:56 PM Quote
Natasa wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Natasa wrote:

Why that?*thinks*
I've heard from greeks and others that they think the same thing for french men..:S

i don't know - i guess it's from all yr philosophers and islands like Mykonos

Natasa
Natasa Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 9:58 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Natasa wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Natasa wrote:

Why that?*thinks*

i don't know - i guess it's from all yr philosophers and islands like Mykonos

ALL our philosophers?Nah..
And Mykonos is just a free island,straigt,gay,by,everyone's welcome,lol

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 10:33 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
alyrtle wrote:
Well a girl from Viet Nam asked me if school was really like Disney's 'High School Musical'

and some stupid people have also asked me if I'm a commie when I told them I'm Vietnamese..

wow! you're Vietnamese?? me too! yeah, i got that commie question too! i was like, wtf, jerk!

haha cool! yeah, i think that may be why we have the same creeped out feelings about middle aged white men with asian fetishes (from the fetish thread) i guess, because of the whole war and the american soldiers being with vietnamese women...like in the movie "Heaven and Earth" and also, don't westerners go to southeast asia more often than other asian areas for brothels and underrage prostitutes? it's out of control in thailand..

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Mon 09 Jul, 2007 10:41 PM Quote
alyrtle wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:
alyrtle wrote:
Well a girl from Viet Nam asked me if school was really like Disney's 'High School Musical'

and some stupid people have also asked me if I'm a commie when I told them I'm Vietnamese..

wow! you're Vietnamese?? me too! yeah, i got that commie question too! i was like, wtf, jerk!

haha cool! yeah, i think that may be why we have the same creeped out feelings about middle aged white men with asian fetishes (from the fetish thread) i guess, because of the whole war and the american soldiers being with vietnamese women...like in the movie "Heaven and Earth" and also, don't westerners go to southeast asia more often than other asian areas for brothels and underrage prostitutes? it's out of control in thailand..

eww...i think one of my coworkers does that...he's in bali this week actually!

isma
isma Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 1:39 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
isma wrote:

I went in The South of France..Precisely in Brest

Brest dans le Sud !!! elle est bonne celle-ci

C'est clair! Choquant mais très drôle Haha

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 1:42 PM Quote
isma wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
isma wrote:

I went in The South of France..Precisely in Brest

Brest dans le Sud !!! elle est bonne celle-ci

C'est clair! Choquant mais très drôle Haha

c'est vrai que la ratatouille de Brest, tout le monde connait - et je ne parle meme pas de son front de mer et de ses superbes palmiers!

ma bonne femme au pair m'avait dit qu'elle était passée par ma région, dans une ville appelée Bescanon - en fait c'est Besançon !

isma
isma Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 2:09 PM Quote
Lol

Quand nous sommes partie à Londres avec ma classe on a été répartie chez des familles et quelques amis on étais dans une famille ou la mère leur à montrer un pot de Moutarde de Dijon Amora et elle leur a dit 'Vous vivez ici ?!?'

Hahaha

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 2:13 PM Quote
isma wrote:
Lol

Quand nous sommes partie à Londres avec ma classe on a été répartie chez des familles et quelques amis on étais dans une famille ou la mère leur à montrer un pot de Moutarde de Dijon Amora et elle leur a dit 'Vous vivez ici ?!?'

Hahaha

oui oui ! dans la moutarde !
n'importe nawak

ils sont très petits ? parce que pour vivre dans un pot de moutarde, faut pas etre grand quand meme

un type que je connais s'est fait une fois arreté par des touristes allemands qui étaient perdus et qui lui demandaient la route.
Il leur a dit "en 1940, vous cherchiez pas votre chemin, hein ?"
LOL

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:06 PM