Travis

Re: FAO American 'Boardies
harry potter
harry potter Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:37 PM Quote
Els* wrote:
lol that sounds scary.

1976 in my hometown... we had a big old celebration on the 4th of july. the city opened a new park and called it the "bicentennial" park. it was rather fancy for our little old town. but why anyone would want to hold an all day festival in that heat. they hold that festival there every year. 100 degrees and no trees. you got your watermelon, face painting, kiddies running around, bake off..

my husband and i used to travel alot and one year, we were in the english country on the 4th of july. we were staying at some hotel/inn that was set near a forest. there were polo fields and a nice swimming pool. it was charming. anyway, we made reservations to eat dinner that evening because you had to tell them ahead of time if you wanted to dine in the dining room. so we were eating and this old english man kept saying, i want apple pie over and over. he was sitting at the table next to us and i said "if you were in america, you could get apple pie everywhere because its a tradition for july 4th, independence day". you should have seen his face. he was so insulted. ahahahaha

LoL, God Bless Americans, eh?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:38 PM Quote
My parents also got married on 4th of July and for their first anniversary they were sad when they realized that most nice restaurants would be closed. They thought they would be so smart and go to Windsor, Canada (they lived in Detroit so it's a 30 minute drive) for dinner. Well they forgot that ALL of the restaurants (at least in 1971) were closed on Sundays!

Els*
Els* Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:41 PM Quote
yes we are so charming, especially on the 4th of july.

"oh say can you see"

alramon13
alramon13 Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:46 PM Quote
Els* wrote:

the peeps at the dog park go all out. they've entered in the alameda 4th of july parade. lisa has volunteered to sit with taz on the doggie park float. they've got paw tshirts and 4th bandanas for the dogs. i think i'll dress up taz as uncle sam. hahahaha

the fireworks go off in my front yard, the park, also across the bay. i watch from my balcony.

antisocial. word.

Yeah, i'll be the one looking like the geek...thank you very much. Taz will look cool in his uncle sam outfit. He'll be the star. Gawd...can you just picture it...me on that hayride hick float, looking like one of those arts and crafts teezed up beehive sporting mothers. Uhhhhhhhhhh...the vision is scary. If i didn't have to wear that dumb ass tshirt that they are giving me, i'd dress all in black. Pleasantville's got a new sheriff...ahahahahaha

What about the freak house? You know the one Els...that house that is always decorated up for the occassion. This house is fricken crazy...i wonder what kind of people live there to do this sort of thing on ever holiday? We crack up every time we go pass it. We were totally shocked at this one. Red white and blue cheesy plastic flags, glitter bannners...all over their fricken house.

Els*
Els* Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:52 PM Quote
come on, you can get mr. nancy and "bettie lou's" mom (you know the girl always on the cell phone that wears the converse... do a round up and a "ho-down" dance. give up a show. lmao

oh yeah, that damn victorian house on broadway. that is no lie, those people are off their new england rocker. we've got to drive by there tomorrow evening and take pictures.

alramon13
alramon13 Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 5:57 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:

we live in jonesy's hometown.
every year they have this "3rd of July" celebration down on humarock beach (the beach near where we live). oodles of "down for the summer" types gather with their children and light bonfires and aim a couple of tons of fireworks out into the atlantic. i went down there once. never again. it was like something out of "Apocolypse Now", stuff going off all around, drunken white trash Boston Red Sox capped fathers staggering around the bonfires while little Johnny takes three fingers off with a cherry bomb. fun for all :I

Well if it wasn't for the trashed Boston Red sox dads, i think it would be a fun way to celebrate. Have you ever had a Roman Candle/Bottle Rocket fight? I probably wouldn't do it now, but we did it when we were kids. My pyro friend gave me a buttload of black cats, but i just lay them down and light the fuse...if i am feeling brave, i'll throw them.

Independence day has nothing over Chinese New Years here in San Francisco. It gets absolutely crazy with fireworks during that time.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:02 PM Quote
alramon13 wrote:
harry potter wrote:

every year they have this "3rd of July" celebration down on humarock beach (the beach near where we live). oodles of "down for the summer" types gather with their children and light bonfires and aim a couple of tons of fireworks out into the atlantic. i went down there once. never again. it was like something out of "Apocolypse Now", stuff going off all around, drunken white trash Boston Red Sox capped fathers staggering around the bonfires while little Johnny takes three fingers off with a cherry bomb. fun for all :I

Well if it wasn't for the trashed Boston Red sox dads, i think it would be a fun way to celebrate. Have you ever had a Roman Candle/Bottle Rocket fight? I probably wouldn't do it now, but we did it when we were kids. My pyro friend gave me a buttload of black cats, but i just lay them down and light the fuse...if i am feeling brave, i'll throw them.

Independence day has nothing over Chinese New Years here in San Francisco. It gets absolutely crazy with fireworks during that time.

jonesy would agree with you about the "3rd of July" celebrations but no me hen, oooh no. i'd rather slouch on my couch of spite and let the lemmings blow themselves up. like say, the weather this year isn't too bad (i.e. not humidly oppressively HOT) so the bonfires don't seem so frickin' stupid. the year i went down there it was sweltering and to have these massive bonfires going with all that craziness with the fireworks, oh man.

fireworks are illegal in this state which is a complete joke too. these families would put al queada to shame the amount of ammo they've got illegally stashed for tonight.

i'm sure san fran would be neat though, i could get into that...plus some sweet n'sour pork of course woot!

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:10 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:

Wow. You make it sound just wonderful. The ONE year you went, it was really hot, rocky and crowded. It's not normally like that. It's actually quite beautiful to see all of the bonfires lined up the beach as far as your eye can see. And if you bother to walk a little further away from the main beach, you don't get all of the fireworks. It's actually quite romantic, not that you'd understand. :I

Els*
Els* Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:11 PM Quote
alramon13 wrote:
[quote="harry potter"]
Have you ever had a Roman Candle/Bottle Rocket fight? I probably wouldn't do it now, but we did it when we were kids. My pyro friend gave me a buttload of black cats, but i just lay them down and light the fuse...if i am feeling brave, i'll throw them.

good times. you guys were always throwing firecrackers at each other. you and ralph and cousins having wars. hehe remember the chasers too? was it ralph who got hurt in mexico? i can only remember one war that i participated in. i had on a heavy wool coat cause it was cold so it must have been new years. maybe highschool years. fun with so called illegal fireworks.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:15 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

Wow. You make it sound just wonderful. The ONE year you went, it was really hot, rocky and crowded. It's not normally like that. It's actually quite beautiful to see all of the bonfires lined up the beach as far as your eye can see. And if you bother to walk a little further away from the main beach, you don't get all of the fireworks. It's actually quite romantic, not that you'd understand. :I

here we go, the ONE year. like it's not like that EVERY year down there. you know what it's like to be stuck in the Sand's End on a Saturday morning trying to have a nice weekendy type breakfast -- all those summer types and their obnoxious progeny irritating the living shite out of us and the waitstaff? yeah? well, just transfer that to the outdoors and introduce fire and weapons and ALCOHOL and oh yeah, i'm sold, sign me up.

OI! that last comment just registered! i'm romantic so i am, you are just so bloody spoiled is your problem. jaysus mary and holy saint joseph.

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:24 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

here we go, the ONE year. like it's not like that EVERY year down there. you know what it's like to be stuck in the Sand's End on a Saturday morning trying to have a nice weekendy type breakfast -- all those summer types and their obnoxious progeny irritating the living shite out of us and the waitstaff? yeah? well, just transfer that to the outdoors and introduce fire and weapons and ALCOHOL and oh yeah, i'm sold, sign me up.

OI! that last comment just registered! i'm romantic so i am, you are just so bloody spoiled is your problem. jaysus mary and holy saint joseph.

Oh yes, that's me. Spoiled.

audrey
audrey Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:25 PM Quote
oi! happy independence day!

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:27 PM Quote
audrey wrote:

Happy 4th, Audrey!

harry potter
harry potter Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:29 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

Oh yes, that's me. Spoiled.

http://homedir-b.libsyn.com/podcasts/5c82cd6116ac09a0826bb5749716acc8/468a8781/cakedonstripes/images/angry_baby_head.jpg
!!!GRRRRRR!!!

audrey
audrey Posted Tue 03 Jul, 2007 6:36 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
audrey wrote:

Happy 4th, Audrey!

enjoy your day off bridget. :) :)

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:21 AM