Travis

Re: The Football Thread
elfy
elfy Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:02 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
damn cheek to claim that goal, id 10quid on pirlo at 12/1

Ooooh that's a sore one mate. To be fair, I think Reina had it covered till Inzaghe got in the way.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:02 PM Quote
I was disappointed, but then it was never going to live up to 2005 really. It highlighted that Liverpool rely on Gerrard too much, and you can see in his face the frustration that he feels when everyone else around him lets him down. He needs Alonso to play well beside him, and he had an indifferent match. Liverpool's man of the match would have been Mascherano IMO.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:05 PM Quote
elfy wrote:
monkey wrote:

Ooooh that's a sore one mate. To be fair, I think Reina had it covered till Inzaghe got in the way.

Reina was inches from it hitting his boot anyway. I'm not sure Pirlo's strike was on target, it would have been a close one. I've not seen a replay really yet though so I could be wrong.

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:05 PM Quote
elfy wrote:
monkey wrote:

yea i agree but i didn't spot the deflection first time round so i was a bit pissed when i seen the replay, shame id didn't hit a lpool player

elfy
elfy Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:08 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
I was disappointed, but then it was never going to live up to 2005 really. It highlighted that Liverpool rely on Gerrard too much, and you can see in his face the frustration that he feels when everyone else around him lets him down. He needs Alonso to play well beside him, and he had an indifferent match. Liverpool's man of the match would have been Mascherano IMO.

Yeah, it would have to have been some game to live up to that one. I'd probably agree about Mascherano. It was a gamble to take him off and you could see Kaka had more space after that. I think at that stage though it was a gamble Benitez really had to take.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:08 PM Quote

Liverpool were brilliant in the first half, didn't allow Milan to string any passage of play together and it showed in the frustrations of Gattuso, but when Milan got the luck goal just before the break it was effectively over, to work so hard and have nothing to show for it was in my opinion diabolical, Pennant and Zenden should take a good look at themselves, their runs were brilliant at time but the delivery of the final ball was woeful by both of them. Also what was the point of taking Finnan off and adding another defender, an ageing Milan defence would have struggled to cope with Bellamy if he'd been given the chance, then to add insult to injury 3 minutes extra time declared plus a substitutiion and the ref blows up at 2:45 wtf??

Not to mention the crowd trouble outside the stadium, forged tickets were not checked and as a result thousands of fans with genuine tickets were left outside. UEFA have already blamed the Liverpool fans for this ??

But to be honest if you look at the overall tournament I would have to say Milan probably deserved to win, the first goal was lucky the second was beautiful.

and for any scousers out there, next year, oh yes next year

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:11 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Liverpool were brilliant in the first half, didn't allow Milan to string any passage of play together and it showed in the frustrations of Gattuso, but when Milan got the luck goal just before the break it was effectively over, to work so hard and have nothing to show for it was in my opinion diabolical, Pennant and Zenden should take a good look at themselves, their runs were brilliant at time but the delivery of the final ball was woeful by both of them. Also what was the point of taking Finnan off and adding another defender, an ageing Milan defence would have struggled to cope with Bellamy if he'd been given the chance, then to add insult to injury 3 minutes extra time declared plus a substitutiion and the ref blows up at 2:45 wtf??

Not to mention the crowd trouble outside the stadium, forged tickets were not checked and as a result thousands of fans with genuine tickets were left outside. UEFA have already blamed the Liverpool fans for this ??

But to be honest if you look at the overall tournament I would have to say Milan probably deserved to win, the first goal was lucky the second was beautiful.

agree 100% with views on the game, Pennant and Zenden just don't have the quality at that level

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:13 PM Quote
Quote:
Yeah, it would have to have been some game to live up to that one. I'd probably agree about Mascherano. It was a gamble to take him off and you could see Kaka had more space after that. I think at that stage though it was a gamble Benitez really had to take.

Mascherano and Kaka have already met twice recently in Brazil Argentina matches and both times Mascherano has been put on him to mark him out of the game, a tatic that Benitez took full advantage of last night, Sisoko want's to go? IMO let him Mascherano is a far better player wtf did West Ham let him go??

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:15 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

agree 100% with views on the game, Pennant and Zenden just don't have the quality at that level

I think they are in desperate need of someone like Duff. a quality winger who will stick to the touchline and can float in dangerous balls.

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:15 PM Quote
bit random but hats of to maldini, still playing to that standard at the old age of nearly 39 (i think they said 39?)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:19 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
bit random but hats of to maldini, still playing to that standard at the old age of nearly 39 (i think they said 39?)

Yup, 8th final appearance, at 39, never played for any other Club, now that is loyal !!! also when they played Man Utd 2 seasons ago(?) there was a comment made that Maldini was playing for Milan before Ronaldo and Rooney were born !!!

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:22 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
monkey wrote:

Yup, 8th final appearance, at 39, never played for any other Club, now that is loyal !!! also when they played Man Utd 2 seasons ago(?) there was a comment made that Maldini was playing for Milan before Ronaldo and Rooney were born !!!

lol, yea that just about adds up!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:53 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
monkey wrote:

lol, yea that just about adds up!

On the CL final preview on ITV the night before the final they talked about Maldini having a young son who's in the Milan academy and apparently this lad's got the same about him as his dad did, that'd be some kind of record surely, 3 generations of one family playing for one club.

elfy
elfy Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:56 PM Quote
And apparently Maldini's going to play another season. Mon the 40 year old!

His son Christian is seemingly the next Maldini to look out for too according to the Sky commentary. 10 years old at the moment, will he follow in his fathers and grandfathers footsteps? Think I'll stick a tenner on him to play for Italy one day.

elfy
elfy Posted Thu 24 May, 2007 9:56 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
On the CL final preview on ITV the night before the final they talked about Maldini having a young son who's in the Milan academy and apparently this lad's got the same about him as his dad did, that'd be some kind of record surely, 3 generations of one family playing for one club.

Beat me to it!

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 8:59 PM