Travis

Why does it never rain on us?
babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Tue 05 Aug, 2014 3:36 PM Quote
On thursday last week, a fire started in the woods not far away from me.
It surely has escalated and around 1000 (so far) people has been evacuated, some of them have peobably lost their homes by now. On saturday the wildfire area covered about 115 football pitches. Earlier today - approx. 21000 football pitches. And it's not getting better.
1 Individual dead so far, and one badly burned.

We're awaiting assistance from Italy and France with heavy duty water bombing flights but they never seem to arrive.
If the winds were to start blowing our direction, it would probably reach our house in ca. 6 hours.

The wildfire is out of control and raging. It's extremely scary.

Re: Why does it never rain on us?
fenririel
fenririel Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2014 5:06 AM Quote
That's awful news. What's the forecast? How is it right now? Have the help arrived? Have you moved temporarily somewhere else? Be safe, Erik, take care. Keep us posted on any development.

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2014 11:53 AM Quote
Hi Fenririel and thanks for caring!

It's unfortunately sunny and dry here now, we had quite a bit of rain on wednesday which forced the fire down alot. I don't think there are any open flames at the moment, but the glow is still there underneath the whole area and can "reflame" whenever there's windy and dry..

The italians and Frenchmen arrived after a long wait and much uncertanties and have been bombing for 14h a day since thursday. They're a massive help, I read they splash out 3 MILLION litres of water every day.

Fortunately we are still "safe" at home but although many people have gotten back home again, there are over 700 people evacuated and many have lost everything to the fire. The fighters of all sorts are working 20-24 h shifts. Pure heroes. If they're not awarded with medals of honor after this....

They say only nature can put us all to safety.

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2014 11:59 AM Quote
Here are some pictures from the fire in different places;

http://vlt.se/nyheter/vasteras/1.2583854-branden-i-bilder

fenririel
fenririel Posted Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:35 AM Quote
I've been reading about the fire on the web. I wasn't aware how unusual is a forest fire this in those latitudes, let alone a fire as huge as this! I'm sympathetic with the fear and uncertainty of such disasters. One feels powerless. It's sad and scary, and still we have to live on, right?

Fear fades eventually. Happily enough, there's always courage, and people rises to the situation. Those heroes you mention must be awarded. I hope the affected people receive some help to let them get back on their feet.

Let's hope it to rain (pour, if possible) soon.

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2014 7:38 PM Quote
Ah yes it is very unusual indeed!
I'm softly optimistic and happy to say that the situation for the first time seems to be under control! The Italian and French planes actually left Sweden today, and the rest will be taken care of mainly from the ground. There's a long road with the after-work now.

Pages [1] All Times UTC Current Time 8:07 AM