Travis

12 Memories Retrospective Album Review
MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 9:28 AM Quote
There's been a lot of talk of late about this gem of an album. As I did with Where You Stand (if anyone cares) I'll do the same with 12 Memories, then the other albums.

Quicksand:

First line "Take me away/Take me away" sets the tone for the entire album. So much happening in this one. A particularly love the sinking feel it has and the bored sounding backing vocals.

Fave Bit - Violin solo
Score - 8/10

The Beautiful Occupation:

Probably the song given most exposure from the album. I love the guitars on this one. At times Andy could be wielding a chainsaw here. Love the sentiment of the song, Travis had the balls to write about the war when not a lot else did.

Fave bit - Guitar solo
Score 9/10

Re-Offender:

A song no doubt about the relationship between Frans mother and father. Only 3 songs in and we are on the subject of domestic abuse. Lovin the grim. In terms of the song itself I think it lacks something, missing a big rocky bit.

Fave Bit - The drumming throughout is superb
Score - 7/10

Peace The Fuck Out:

For me, this one is all about the drums. Again, telling the story about the ignorance of the Iraq war. The guitar solo again is a thing of beauty. I'm starting to think this is Andys best album. Torn between Andy & Neil here.

Fave bit - The Celtic fans at the end cos I was there singin at Loftus Rd!
Score - 8.5/10

How Many Hearts:

I always imagined this song as being a single off the album. Driven by the piano brilliantly it leads onto one of the best Travis choruses you'll hear. Massive sounding song the should've been given a lot more exposure.

Fave Bit - The chorus
Score - 9/10

Paperclips:

I think, up until this point the album has been quite dark for Travis. This masterpiece of heartbreak powers the misery through to another level. Such a dark lament about Frans dad. Love the craziness in the middle. Could be off the white album. I'm sure I hear a dog whining somewhere too.
In my opinion it's THE most under-rated Travis song.

Fave bit - The whole thing, but ill side with the dog whining as its mental.
Score - 10/10

Somewhere Else:

Tremendous song. Always thought, again, this could've been a single. I think it has a John Lennon vibe about it. Some if the best lyrics Frans ever written. The drums burst in and out perfectly. All finely balanced with the wee xylophone results in a great track

Fave bit - Xylophone
Score - 9/10

Love Will Come Through:

I remember the first time I heard this I loved it. It was the Moonlight Mile version of the song which had the robot effect on Frans voice. I still prefer this version. Great song as it is, it shouldn't have been re-recorded for the album.

Fave bit - Frans vocals on the original version
Score - 8/10

Mid-Life Krysis:

What a beautiful song about the woman you love. Even if the song title is a wee bit cheesy. Love the bit "taaaaaayyyyyyAAAAAAYYYYYAAAAAYYYking in the city"
The best thing is, it still isn't a fully blown love song as it has the darkness that grips the entire record.

Fave bit - Guitar solo on the middle
Score - 8.5/10

Happy To Hang Around:

I remember going to see Travis in Glasgow for the tour of this album. This is a tremendous live song and should always be included in the set list IMO. Every time I listen to this I wait till what I think is Andys best solo on any recording. LOVE THE FUCKING GUITAR SOLO.

Fave bit - Need u ask?
Score - 9/10

Walking Down The Hill:

Probably the coolest song Travis have done. Maybe this and Big Chair? Love the piano. Love the lyrics. Love the feel of the song. Frans voice on this and throughout is amazing.

Fave bit - Piano
Score - 9.5/10

Some Sad Song:

I agree with what someone else posted recently when they said that these two songs are a fantastic combo/end of album duo. Again, love the piano.
A great song to round off the darkest of all Travis albums, and what says misery more than ending with a rainstorm??

Fave bit - The very end
Score - 8.75/10

Although I love the new album, someday I'd love more like this feel of album again.

Re: 12 Memories Retrospective Album Review
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 11:22 AM Quote
Great album particularly in hindsight.

I've always viewed The Beautiful Occupation and Peace The Fuck Out as the two weakest songs on there personally, but wouldn't change them for anything because they sort of defined the album in a way - if it was all Somewhere Elses, Love Will Come Through's and How Many Hearts' then it would have just been regarded as a solid follow up to The Invisible Band but the political stuff made people take notice, made it contentious, gave it an identity.

Walking Down This Hill and Some Sad Song are also an incredible way to close the album, possibly Travis' best finale.

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 1:40 PM Quote
I fluctuate between a 4/10 up to a 6/10 on this album. I remember getting it for Christmas and being very disappointed at the time. There are a couple of good ones on there though.

evsie
evsie Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 7:37 PM Quote
My favourite Travis album. Woefully under-represented live in the years following its release.

Quicksand, Re-Offender and Happy to Hang Around are all brilliant live tracks.

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Sat 31 Aug, 2013 12:13 AM Quote
Is there any link to that "Orgiginal Fran vocal"you were talking about on LWCT? :)

fenririel
fenririel Posted Sat 31 Aug, 2013 12:32 AM Quote
Dypebooggep wrote:
I remember getting it for Christmas and being very disappointed at the time. There are a couple of good ones on there though.

I remember having heard it for the first time and hated it. I really couldn't connect with any song that first time. However, this particular album, like OTJS, slowly grew on me. Nowadays, I hold "Re-offender","Love Will Come Through", "Some Sad Song" and "Peace the Fuck Out" as some of my favorite songs of Travis ever.

I'll give it a 7/10...

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sat 31 Aug, 2013 12:44 PM Quote
Happy to Hang Around is amazing (probably Travis' heaviest track?), Quicksand & Love Will Come Through are my other favourites. :)

Least favourites: How Many Hearts - I find it overly-long, although the guitars in the chorus rock - and Paperclips, which has just never grabbed me I'm afraid.

As a whole, the album probably sits in the middle of my top Travis albums list. Song-for-song I don't feel 12 Memories is as strong as the albums before it, but I do really like its dark tone. And I really like the name for some reason too. :P

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:02 AM