Travis

Re: Underrated/underappreciated Travis tracks
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 9:53 PM Quote
Life and Soul of the Party is a great shout. Excellent.

Also, any of Dougie's b sides. I think they're all marvellous and I'd love to hear Dougie sing again. Though, saying that, I do think it's good that Fran still songs all the album songs, but it would be nice if perhaps any Dougie songs that didn't quite make the album could be sang by Dougie and released as b-sides.

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Wed 28 Aug, 2013 11:48 AM Quote
Maybe it's true because the sad songs in 12 memories are gloomier than the Man Who and Happy to hang around is an evidence of that it's such a heartbreak song.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 7:23 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Also, any of Dougie's b sides. I think they're all marvellous and I'd love to hear Dougie sing again. Though, saying that, I do think it's good that Fran still songs all the album songs, but it would be nice if perhaps any Dougie songs that didn't quite make the album could be sang by Dougie and released as b-sides.

Completely agree. Enemy is one of Dougie's strongest songs.

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 8:17 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Completely agree. Enemy is one of Dougie's strongest songs.

I love the backing vocals in the last chorus,The Andy guitar solo and Neil's crisp drumming in that song.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 9:06 PM Quote
Not sure I know Enemy actually. I have a CD-R somewhere in my parents house, somewhere under a bed, containing all the best Travis b-sides and I'm desperate to locate it because I can't find them online anymore. I remember 'River' the Joni Mitchell cover, I remember Unbelievers, one sang by Dougie going "I'm terrified of driving a car, afraid that I'm afraid of the dark, my friends are in bed but I'm best alone..."....some of them are amazing.

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 9:41 PM Quote
The "terrified of driving a car" is Just the Faces Change. His first b-side I believe. Great song!

fenririel
fenririel Posted Fri 30 Aug, 2013 11:55 PM Quote
jigsawjo wrote:

Dear Diary - Another one that's kind of a downer. But it just feels really honest. Admittedly part of my love for this is the memories it conjures from when I first heard it. Also, the production is superb.

I do too! Actually this is the one song for which I fell in love with Travis. I had heard the band, yes, but I had never really given it much attention. Until a friend played "Dear Diary" when I was going through hard times...

"Luv". I love the harmonica... I love the lyrics... so nostalgic, so helpful in a time, too...

"Another Guy"... A candidate for this list? At least, I didn't like it at all at first... Now I kind of like it :P

"Before You Were Young"... Boy, do I love the chorus of the song, with that guitar background so loud, so beautifully painful while Fran raises his voice...

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sat 31 Aug, 2013 8:20 AM Quote
Being brutal I find Ode the most uninspiring and uninteresting album they've ever done, got no time for songs like Get Up, Something Anything, Long Way Down, they're just crap. Quite Free, Last Words etc just sound like demos from TBWNN era, it just does nothing for me as a record.

But I reckon three songs stand out from the Ode era as head and shoulders above the rest - Chinese Blues, Used To Belong and Before You Were Young. I love BYWY, it's brilliant. Great shout. So, er, I'll add in Chinese Blues!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 01 Sep, 2013 3:52 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Being brutal I find Ode the most uninspiring and uninteresting album they've ever done, got no time for songs like Get Up, Something Anything, Long Way Down, they're just crap. Quite Free, Last Words etc just sound like demos from TBWNN era, it just does nothing for me as a record.

But I reckon three songs stand out from the Ode era as head and shoulders above the rest - Chinese Blues, Used To Belong and Before You Were Young. I love BYWY, it's brilliant. Great shout. So, er, I'll add in Chinese Blues!

Though I agree in some ways and I agree on Get Up (one of their weakest album songs) I love both Quite Free and Last Words. Along with Chinese Blues and Song To Self, they're my favourites on the album. However, I'm not a big fan of Before You Were Young. It's a good album, I put it above Good Feeling, but Where You Stand is a better album for me, definitely.

Laurence
Laurence Posted Sun 01 Sep, 2013 6:36 PM Quote
I'm going old school

Dear Diary (great track to learn on the guitar)
Slide Show
The Fear
Good Day to Die
City in the Rain (b-side)
Village Man (b-side)

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Sun 01 Sep, 2013 6:39 PM Quote
I think Ode is really strong. Song to self is probably one of their best songs all-time according to me!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 01 Sep, 2013 7:18 PM Quote
Been listening to Wreckorder again today. Forgot how great Anything and Fly in the Ointment are. Better album than Ode for me.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 02 Sep, 2013 12:13 PM Quote
Wreckorder is a great album!

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Tue 03 Sep, 2013 3:49 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Been listening to Wreckorder again today. Forgot how great Anything and Fly in the Ointment are. Better album than Ode for me.

I wanna hear a Travis version of Anything.I wonder what will it sound like :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 05 Sep, 2013 8:22 PM Quote
I don't think it would sound much different really. I think Wreckorder was Fran making the kind of music that he really wanted to and that shows. There's a very different vibe to that album, a bit funkier and more storytelling, Where You Stand is distinctly Travis in that it's more emotional. New Shoes is very Wreckorder in its vibe.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times UTC Current Time 3:26 PM