Travis

Underrated/underappreciated Travis tracks
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 11:32 AM Quote
Discussion about 12 Memories and Ode in the run up to Where You Stand set me thinking, what do you think are the underappreciated gems in Travis' back catalogue? There are a few but for me the mains ones:

Somewhere Else (12 Memories)
Love the bight and breezy start, the darker "oh this life is so confusing" and the way it flows from start to finish, think musically and lyrically one of the best on the album and probably from the first half of the back catalogue one of the strongest album tracks. Would have made a better single than The Beautiful Occupation for me. There are a few great tracks on this album, Mid Life Krysis and How Many Hearts deserve a mention, but this is the one for me.

Slide Show (The Man Who)
Love the lyrics on this one, always try to work out what they mean, going to the doctors, finding out if you're ill? Very personal, intimate song and love the solo and the way it comes to life at the end, the references to other songs like 'there is no design for life', just think its one of the most beautiful pieces of pure songwriting on a great album.

Used To Belong (b-side)
One of the best b-sides for me, love the vocals on this one, the falsetto, the atmosphere around the whole song being quite dark, quite brooding. Doesn't really found like anything else, it's immediately distinctive and one of the b-sides than I can listen to all day. Travis have a lot of great b-sides so for me for this to be the pick of them means a lot.

Big Chair (TBWNN)
Could never understand why this wasn't one of the main singles from that album. Sounded to me at the time and still does sound like a really big single, brilliant chorus starting quietly then soaring musically and vocally, inferior songs to this were all over the radio from the likes of Keane at this stage and if TBWNN needed a really big breakthrough radio single then surely this was it. Up there with anything in their discography.

Safe (The Invisible Band)
Took me a long time to really appreciate this song, initially I thought the chorus was a bit of a letdown but over time started to appreciate it as one of the best tracks on the album. Love the lines 'when I was young things didn't last, my only care stemmed to the price of sweets, now I am older I can laugh.....a dolly mixed up man with rotten teeth', perfect. Think there are loads of great album tracks on this album so mentions to Pipe Dreams, Afterglow, The Cage.....great times.

Follow the Light (The Invisible Band)
Couldn't not highlight this one though. One of the most simple, catchy, distinctive and beautifully flowing songs they've done and one that would have sounded a million dollars on the radio.

What do you reckon?

Re: Underrated/underappreciated Travis tracks
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:36 PM Quote
They're all great songs. Used To Belong is a great shout! Totally agree on Follow The Light too. It would have made for a perfect 4th single from the album. I'd love to see it make some setlists on the next tour.

The Cage,
Afterglow,
How Many Hearts,
Mid Life Krysis,
Some Sad Song,
Quite Free.

I have a feeling I'll be adding Anniversary to this list in the future.

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:49 PM Quote
Good Day To Die

I love the soaring vocals and the guitars,bass and drums are full of energy.

Falling Down

This is a gem.The vocals of Fran here are mighty and the phasers are otherwordly.

The Fear

Just a laid back song that I love to listen to during rainy days.

Village Man

A b-side with my favorite guitar solo of Andy and the lyrics are cute.

Whenever she comes around

I'm not sure if this is Glass Onion or Travis but the song is stuck in my head and the violin at the end is haunting.

Ballad of J Smith

He said pretty baby will you marry me.She said you'll look shit in my family tree.That was memorable :P

Sailing away

A lovely b-side.The guitar layer parts here also sound like those in Warning Sign.

Green behind the ears

I don't understand the chorus and the title but I love the melody.

You bring me down

This is underrated and a lot better than New Armsterdam. This should have been the album closer in The Boy with No Name but that's OK what's done is done.

The Connection

Such a relaxing melody and the guitar solo is an earworm.

Say Hello

A great song! I love it when they make a song about unrequited love but maybe I'm wrong maybe the song has a different meaning.It can also replace New Armsterdam!

New Armsterdam

I don't like this song it's so simple but this song is good to listen to early in the morning with the seagulls in the background of the song.

There are so many more but I will not include them..This one is too long already.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 3:23 PM Quote
Colder

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 4:23 PM Quote
Great thread!

Mikko85: Somewhere Else and Follow the Light are two of my favorite Travis songs.
Shinichi: I agree, You Bring Me Down should have been on the album. Also, Village Man is great.

My choices:

I Don't Mean To Get High - Short, sweet, and, despite the subject matter, sunny. When listening to this I can't help but think about how much fun it must have been to record and I think that feeling is transmitted very well through the song.

The Sea - Sometimes I think this might be one of my favorite songs they've done, b-side or not. Great atmosphere and emotion. It's kind of bleak and lonely, and I realize those are sort of weird feelings to describe a favorite song, but I love it.

Dear Diary - Another one that's kind of a downer. But it just feels really honest. Admittedly part of my love for this is the memories it conjures from when I first heard it. Also, the production is superb.

Where Is The Love - Love the music, love the imagery (of someone just getting up in front of a crowd and winning them over with a great song). Bonus points for the whistling part.

Honestly I could go on and on so I'll just stop there.

-jigsawjo

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 4:50 PM Quote
Oh good topic!

I'll start off with I love you Anyways
The intro riff is pure love.

Falling down has a special feeling aswell

When I'm feeling blue
Unbelievers
Under the moonlight
My last chance
She's so strange

And as said ; Say Hello, Used to belong, Ballad of J. Smith

Those are my hidden favourites :)

babbelerik
babbelerik Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 4:50 PM Quote

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 4:56 PM Quote
Always liked Dear Diary too. Remember it getting slated at the time, but never understood why. Travis seem to do a very quiet, intricate song on every album, Dear Diary, Paperclips, Broken Mirror, I suppose to a degree The Big Screen too. DD is probably the best of them.

Unbelievers is a great shout, a fantastic chorus. Susie Hug song isn't it? At a guess that's the only reason it never made an album. Back then the albums were still very much Fran's domain.

travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 5:36 PM Quote
Broken Mirror (OTJS)

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 8:09 PM Quote
Lots of tracks from 12 memories are lost classics - was lucky enough to see some of them live on the 12 memories tour (plus Know Nothing - yay!).

I'd say:

'Happy To Hang Around' - great 12 string guitar and unexpected guitar attack from Andy.

'How Many Hearts' - again the way that the guitar wades in during the chorus is a great moment

'I Forget My Name' - not from 12 memories but would have been a great single I think

kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 8:51 PM Quote
Somewhere else and midlife krysis .... Love them

Karen x

Shinichi
Shinichi Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 9:30 PM Quote
Dypebooggep wrote:
Great thread!

Mikko85: Somewhere Else and Follow the Light are two of my favorite Travis songs.
Shinichi: I agree, You Bring Me Down should have been on the album. Also, Village Man is great.

My choices:

I Don't Mean To Get High - Short, sweet, and, despite the subject matter, sunny. When listening to this I can't help but think about how much fun it must have been to record and I think that feeling is transmitted very well through the song.

The Sea - Sometimes I think this might be one of my favorite songs they've done, b-side or not. Great atmosphere and emotion. It's kind of bleak and lonely, and I realize those are sort of weird feelings to describe a favorite song, but I love it.

Dear Diary - Another one that's kind of a downer. But it just feels really honest. Admittedly part of my love for this is the memories it conjures from when I first heard it. Also, the production is superb.

Where Is The Love - Love the music, love the imagery (of someone just getting up in front of a crowd and winning them over with a great song). Bonus points for the whistling part.

Honestly I could go on and on so I'll just stop there.

-jigsawjo

The Sea is a great song..I agree..I played it on my ipod when there are rough seas in the cruise ship..It's deeper when I experienced the song and the environment at the same time.

I'll add a little bit more...

This Love

It lacks the OOMPH! factor that's why I think it's a bside but don't get me wrong.I still like it when Travis songs are upbeat.The drums,bass and guitars are in sync.

Life and Soul of the Party

The final part was really sad and the final part of the chorus is full of emotion.I love the message of the song..Be sociable and don't be shy because sometimes you'll regret it.I imagine it about being a grumpy old man who lives alone..A hermit perhaps :P

Anniversary

A basic Travis song but memorable.I like the poetry here But when I heard the lyrics looking very pale like you lost a nail.I kinda think WTF! It kinda hurts when you have a dead nail or lost a nail haha!

Chances

It's like hybrid folk pop and it reminded me of unemployment and trying to get a job.

Afterglow

A great dream song..I listen to it when I want to sleep..It's relaxing and then

Indefinitely

Another great song now it's like I'm transported in a dream and then

You wake up and the HUMPTY DUMPTY LOVE SONG plays in and you realize you're heartbroken when you wake up.Nice progression of songs.

Parallel Lines

I loved it when he sung the lyric All these monochrome days are keeping me blue.Who wrote the song? Because it seems that this was a song about unrequited love that tears the heart into pieces and they will never meet again just like Parallel Lines.

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 9:57 PM Quote
Shinichi wrote:

Life and Soul of the Party

The final part was really sad and the final part of the chorus is full of emotion.I love the message of the song..Be sociable and don't be shy because sometimes you'll regret it.I imagine it about being a grumpy old man who lives alone..A hermit perhaps :P

Can't believe I forgot this one! Yes, this should be in my list.

Shinichi wrote:

Parallel Lines

I loved it when he sung the lyric All these monochrome days are keeping me blue.Who wrote the song? Because it seems that this was a song about unrequited love that tears the heart into pieces and they will never meet again just like Parallel Lines.

Quickly becoming one of my favorites!

-jigsawjo

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:21 PM Quote
I remember reading something subsequently which suggests that Fran was fairly depressed during the 03/04 period, and so I always wondered whether Life And The Soul Of The Party was autobiographical

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:21 PM Quote
I remember reading something subsequently which suggests that Fran was fairly depressed during the 03/04 period, and so I always wondered whether Life And The Soul Of The Party was autobiographical

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:43 AM