Travis

Album 7 Release Method??
MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Tue 22 Jan, 2013 3:54 PM Quote
Back in the day the process was straight forward. An album would be released and the only other thing a band had to worry about aside from the music was the artwork. Personally I believe this also to be a huge consideration for a band as it, for me, sets the tone for how that album is perceived by the listener.

Now everything has changed.

There is now a plethora of different release methods being used. Including some new, novel and controversial ideas. From Radiohead effectively giving away albums to Kaiser Chiefs create-your-own track listing there have been loads.

Personally the ones that caught my eye was The Raconteurs - Consoloers Of The Lonely in 2008. The band did no promotion before the album's release, and its existence was only confirmed a week before. And the sublimely ridiculous
German pop rock band Die Heuwels Fantasties, also in 2008
had the brilliant idea of making a bottle of memory sticks in the shape of pill capsules for their album Pille Vir Kersvees.

So, how would YOU the Travis fan like to see album 7 released?? From the ridiculous to the genius.

And also if any band members are available, how much of a say do bands now have when it comes to such a thing???

Cheers all.

Re: Album 7 Release Method??
Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Thu 31 Jan, 2013 4:50 AM Quote
I would prefer a 180gram colored vinyl pressing with a heavyweight gatefold sleeve, nice printed liners, and a download card. Also, a CD edition would be nice.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 31 Jan, 2013 5:27 PM Quote
I'm trying to lighten the amount of "stuff" I have these days. While I do enjoy a good album cover, having a physical album just isn't important to me anymore. I don't need to hold it in my hands, smell the ink and plastic, and store it on my shelf. I don't need tons of liner notes or anything to feel a connection. We have many other outlets for that. It's really all about the music to me. The music is big, but I listen small.

So, for me: Just a nice cover picture and some good music, please. People gasp in horror when I say it, but I'm fine with a download.

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Fri 01 Feb, 2013 12:44 AM Quote
I personally just hope there is plenty of advertising, so many great albums get released by great artists and there is just no advertising. This is why the charts are filled with rubbish while the great music gets ignored.

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Mon 04 Feb, 2013 8:01 PM Quote
I'd prefer just a CD.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 04 Feb, 2013 11:46 PM Quote
As digital as most of my life is these days, I love a traditional album. Mostly I buy vinyl and download for iphone, etc (most new vinyl comes with a free download code). I love cover art and liner notes too much to get just digital for bands I really love. For bands I really care about, a physical album (CD or vinyl) is a must.

laura_bjski
laura_bjski Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2013 12:27 AM Quote
it would be great if they release the cd and digital version.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2013 4:15 PM Quote
Definitely would like a CD version. I almost always listen to music digitally, but having the CD gives you the flexibility to choose what format/quality you want the music files to be. Plus, I like the artwork. And have a CD player in the car. :)

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2013 8:42 PM Quote
Definately would like a vinyl release with a download code.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2013 11:58 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Definitely would like a CD version. I almost always listen to music digitally, but having the CD gives you the flexibility to choose what format/quality you want the music files to be. Plus, I like the artwork. And have a CD player in the car. :)

This is also how I feel :) Though, I don't have a car. The rest is the same though ;)

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Wed 06 Feb, 2013 5:12 AM Quote
I'm going to post mine again... the first time came up as my username being gibberish... which is weird :P

I would prefer a 180gram colored vinyl pressing with a heavyweight gatefold sleeve, nice printed liners, and a download card. Also, a CD edition would be nice.

You just can't beat that giant album art, or the wonderful feeling of putting needle to groove :)

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Wed 06 Feb, 2013 5:15 AM Quote
...well that's annoying. Is anyone else seeing my username correctly? Should be 'CooGarn' :S

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Wed 06 Feb, 2013 5:16 AM Quote
Instead I'm showing up as 'Dypebooggep', and I notice someone else has posted and gotten that name as well...

mili
mili Posted Wed 06 Feb, 2013 5:18 PM Quote
Dypebooggep wrote:
Instead I'm showing up as 'Dypebooggep', and I notice someone else has posted and gotten that name as well...

It's some sort of bug, that shows people who've joined after certain time (1 or 2 years ago or so,can someone remember more exact time?) as "Dypebooggep". Really annoying! I sorry about it, maybe we should all start signing our names?

Mili

Beat Poet
Beat Poet Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2013 2:31 PM Quote
I don't think they'll do anything radical, probably just the standard "YouTube single", followed by a download single, followed by the album.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:42 PM