Travis

Laundry Expert Needed
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 28 Oct, 2011 7:21 PM Quote
So I have this navy dress with white collar and just can't manage to keep the collar white! What should I do, any ideas?

I've tried soda and stain removers already.

Re: Laundry Expert Needed
minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 28 Oct, 2011 8:07 PM Quote
Maybe this thread should be FAO Kaytepants.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 28 Oct, 2011 8:35 PM Quote
Yes, I am an international laundry expert. Megg, is the problem that the blue from the dress is making the collar blue? Or is the collar just getting dirty/dingy? I need to know the nature of the discoloration before making my recommendations. ;o)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 28 Oct, 2011 9:01 PM Quote
Dirty/dingy.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 28 Oct, 2011 9:38 PM Quote
If you are dealing with what they call "ring around the collar" from the natural oils in your skin, you need a laundry degreaser. If you don't have any of that, try dishwashing detergent. It's made to remove grease off dishes, and usually it will work on clothes. Rub some degreasing detergent on the collar, add a little water and scrub it a bit, then let it soak. Then wash as usual. Try that and if it doesn't work, let me know. Good luck!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:03 AM Quote
Dishwashing detergent! Wouldn't have thought of that! Thank you - will keep you posted!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 29 Oct, 2011 1:09 AM Quote
Also good when you cook bacon in a silk dress. Smart!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 29 Oct, 2011 1:40 AM Quote
You know...that reminds me that I want an apron. I always get all slopped up when I cook or bake. I should make myself a nice 50's housewife type apron.

mili
mili Posted Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:27 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
You know...that reminds me that I want an apron. I always get all slopped up when I cook or bake. I should make myself a nice 50's housewife type apron.

Mine is more of the "dad's grilling" type, goes quite high and has a big pocket in the front. It's popular at dinner times, too, especially when somebody's wearing a white top and it's tomato based spaghetti sauce.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:49 PM Quote
So. It didn't work. I'm thinking it might actually be the dress or its lining creating the problem. The collar is yellow-ish, dress navy, lining black. Ugh. What do you think? What else is worth trying?

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:57 PM Quote
I've got a pair of navy shorts that run out a yellow-ish colour, so it could well be the dye in the main part of the dress is running.

You need something like this

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 13 Nov, 2011 6:16 PM Quote
I use that goop mechanics use to take out oil , grease , paint when it gets on my clothes....no idea what it's real name is. Any idea Kayte ? It does work . It breaks down the oils

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 13 Nov, 2011 6:21 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
I use that goop mechanics use to take out oil , grease , paint when it gets on my clothes....no idea what it's real name is. Any idea Kayte ? It does work . It breaks down the oils

Swarfega ??

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 13 Nov, 2011 6:59 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

Is it that stuff that looks like Crisco and comes in what looks like a coffee can? (or used to, at least?) My dad used to have something like that, but I cannot think of the name of it. And there's something that I called Grease Monkey, I think.

I haven't tried that on laundry. The best grease remover I've used for laundry came from Stanley Home Products. I had greasy spots on clothes that I didn't see the first time I washed them and even put them through the dryer and STILL got them out with that stuff! It just took a few drops, full strength. I really should order more of that.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Mon 14 Nov, 2011 12:21 AM Quote
Try white vinegar!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:07 AM