Travis

Re: Osama Bin Laden is Dead
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 03 May, 2011 7:13 PM Quote
I'm doing a "Facebook fast" right now and based on a few things I've heard about some tacky posts since his death, I am really glad I am not seeing any horrible dribble related to this.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 03 May, 2011 7:43 PM Quote

This is really good to know. Here in Argentina we're also getting the celebration images.
I agree with all of you (except Sarah, I guess). The way I see it, an eye for an eye is a medieval way of solving conflicts. I think there would have been justice if Osama Bin Laden had been granted a fair trial. Considering the whole speech about deffending democracy, well, judiciary is in the core of any democratic system.
And I agree it doesn't change the situation, it's more of a symbolic event.
Also, I'm with Lilli: after nine years of looking for him, they find him and kill him just like that... it's weird.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Wed 04 May, 2011 5:28 AM Quote
Being an American, I do not agree on the reactions of some people after the news broke. I do believe though, that everyone has the right to react in their own way. I just hope now that we can end these wars and bring our troops home and focus on the problems in our own country. Like helping the recovery and rebuilding in the south after all those deadly tornadoes last week.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 04 May, 2011 2:18 PM Quote
Honestly I have no need to see the photos , I'll take their word for it . I'm gonna bet a good chunk of those celebrating in the street will be out tomorrow for Cinco de Mayo too .

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 04 May, 2011 5:16 PM Quote
i forgot about this but... My father's cousin's uncle or some other distant relative died as a result of the attacks on the World Trade Centre, not at the time but he was there as a fireman, he died about 5 years later from some respitory problem brought on by breathing the dust that day. His wife also committed suicide soon after losing her husband.

As a fireman he knew the risks and also knew it was a dangerous job. But that doesn't make him any less heroic. I hope the people close to him are remembering him and his wife with dignity and respect.

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 04 May, 2011 6:59 PM Quote
My thoughts exactly! Why on Earth would anyone think it's any kind of a breakthrough? The only thing I think may happen is more terrorist attacks in the near future.
People cheering made me think of those doing the same after 9/11. You're supposed to be better than that, people!
I also believe that everyone, even a terrorist or a mass murderer, deserves a fair trial. Human rights are not only for good people. So not impressed with that either.
And for the love of God, no one needs to see these pictures!!

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 11:40 PM