Travis

Last Night at Dingwalls
kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 7:32 AM Quote
Thanks to Fran and the band for such an awesome gig last night! It reminded me how much I have missed Fran/Travis concerts.

Anyone else that was there, what did you think?

I reallly hope Fran comes back to the UK VERY soon :)

Karen x

Re: Last Night at Dingwalls
Beat Poet
Beat Poet Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 11:34 AM Quote
I thought it was good, but I have to say I preferred him upstairs at the Garage. Good fun though, but that drunken tart (right in front of me, left hand side of the pit) soured it for everyone around her.

In the Morning
Holiday
Shadow Boxing
Fly In The Ointment
Anything
Sing Me To Sleep
As It Comes
Buttercups
Rocking Chair
Moonshine
Flowers In the Window
My Eyes
Last Train
Slide Show
Sierra Leone

kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 12:17 PM Quote
Hahaha! I actually thought the drunken bloke in the middle was more annoying (the one who boo'd that poor girl for being Russian), but maybe thats cos I was closer to him!

Karen x

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 12:28 PM Quote
In all honesty I've got mixed feelings about last night.

Quick list of negatives: the ladies loos. Oh dear.
Foley (?) as a support act being out of tune (better backing Fran in the band)
The selfish git in the audience who decided to video the entire set on his phone, and blocking my view in the process (there ought to be rules!)
Some of Fran's comments about London and England. They were said tongue in cheek but weren't too kind.

On the positive side:
Josephine. Lovely lovely support act.
Fran's band and strings.
Fran's banter (when he wasn't insulting us) and some new stories behind the songs.
I enjoyed this more than the September gig at Bush Hall. Perhaps it's familiarity with Wreckorder this time which helped, or perhaps it's the band, but for me it was definitely a better evening.
The set list, and the construction of it - part Wreckorder, part requests. Thanks to Beat Poet for reminding me :)
And finally, especially 20 - thank you for hearing my shrieked out request from half way back in the room!

I got the impression from the closing remarks that Fran isn't in a rush to play here again, and Dingwalls the shit hole probably didn't help reverse his feelings. But I do hope that he can find it in his heart to start liking us again and performing for us again, either solo, with session musicians or with Travis!

kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 1:38 PM Quote
Yeah I agree Josephine was really good!

I hope there wasn't any real contempt for London and England, the trouble you always get twats at these things and it doesn't help the situation. I'm sure Fran realises we aren't all like that!!

Beat Poet
Beat Poet Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 2:05 PM Quote
I think Fran had a split second blip and meant to call the venue a "toilet" rather than a "shithole". Can't believe that drunk woman requested 1922 and said the Daily Mail represents a big part of Britain.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 2:11 PM Quote
Beat Poet wrote:
I think Fran had a split second blip and meant to call the venue a "toilet" rather than a "shithole". Can't believe that drunk woman requested 1922 and said the Daily Mail represents a big part of Britain.

Ha ha, I know.....the audience had some dreadful characters last night, by the sounds of it....I had to ask some blokes to be quiet. So rude to Fran and to the rest of us who actually wanted to hear the songs!!!

I completely agreed with his comments about the venue. Shit hole/ toilet, doesn't matter, both were accurate!!! Did you see they'd actually closed the main bar, presumably because of the sewage issue? I'm sure it must normally be open on a Monday.....

Fran's performance was good, but as gig experiences go, I've had better....

closergms1968
closergms1968 Posted Tue 01 Feb, 2011 10:46 PM Quote
I have to agree with Kazmajazz, this was an awesome gig.
I really feel sorry for those who's night was spoiled by the odd idiot. We were on the first tier up, and everyone around us was friendly and quiet.

Now, as for Fran's remark about pastey faces - it's true! Most Brit's are, me included! Look at the amount of sunbed usage and false tans. What you have to remember is that Fran is a Brit too, so he includes himself in this comment.
It was just a tongue in cheek comment, as was the shithole remark. (see the link: sewerage = shithole).

I don't think Fran would go to the trouble of putting on such a wonderful line up of musicians and such an amazing one off gig for the people of this country if he didn't like us. Answers on a postcard.

Oh and Fran, you'll be glad to hear, thank the Lord - that the Daily Mail does not represent most of Britain. Most of us laugh at how ridiculous this newspaper is, and it is often satirised on television.

Now the gig:
The support acts were good. I thought Foley was very good.

I thought Fran was on top form last night, and seemed to enjoy himself more than ever. Credit must go to the band and string section. They were wonderful, especially the bass player (loved the double bass on Moonshine).
Claes on keyboard gave the songs that added magical feeling. The strings added a touch of class. I hope Fran sticks with the strings on future solo projects, and maybe a one off Travis gig.

It was a real pleasure to hear the Wreckorder songs come to life, in full form. This was a rare treat. Hearing these songs live was the acid test for how good Wreckorder is.
Judging by this gig - this is some of Fran's best work to date. Loved the acoustic solo Travis songs which sounded better stripped down.

Highlights: every single song was brilliant.

The venue: this wasn't a beautiful venue, however the canal side location was lovely and Camden rocks.
The layout of the main hall was fine but my wife agrees with the comments that the ladies toilets were disgusting.
The whole sewerage pipe situation was terrible but we discovered that other establishments in Camden also had sewerage problems.

I thought Fran's remarks about the dire situation when they arrived at the venue showed that he was on our side.

As for where i rate this gig? Right up there at the top.
Musically this was one of my best gigs ever. Fran pulled out all the stops for this London gig and gave his fans a real treat.

I wouldn't have missed this for the world, 10 out of 10.

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 02 Feb, 2011 8:47 AM Quote
Hi guys. I was there too the other night but I only got back home to France last night so this is a little late. I did have a little chuckle to myself as I picked up my copy of the Daily Mail whilst getting on the plane!
The venue, I thought, wasn't great but the music more than made up for that. Josephine is a wonderful discovery. I loved her voice and would like to hear more from her.
The sound for Foley seemed awful. I don't know if there was a technical hitch but something didn't quite sound right.
Wow what can I say about the strings. Pure magic! They really blew us away. Rocking Chair and Anything were stunning.
I've always had the impression that Fran enjoys playing in London and appreciates the London audiences and his comments didn't seem out of place to me.
Tonie, I too requested 20 but although I was near the front, I had lost my voice the day before so I had to use my fingers to try and get the message across. I never tire of hearing 20 live :)

Dypebooggep
Dypebooggep Posted Wed 02 Feb, 2011 10:54 AM Quote
Great night, great music, great gig. Please let me explain that the "booing" was very mild and only done for effect, no harm was intended and I think by the reaction of Fran, and indeed the highly taleneted vocalist reflected that it was "mere" banter and was taken in the correct context.

The inter-action at a Travis or indeed a Fran gig is all very light hearted and should be allowed to continue, its what we as fans like because it makes us all feel more of a part of the night.

Just a shame the equipment would'nt allow "all i wanna do is rock" the hairs on my nect still stand up when I remember the night in Brussels.

Fran, keep up the good work, we will never tire of your music and heres to many more special nights.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:58 AM