Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 06 Jan, 2011 3:01 PM Quote
Things babies bornin 2011 will never know

I feel like a dinosaur.

Re: Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know
mili
mili Posted Sat 08 Jan, 2011 10:13 PM Quote
Me too. I remember the first time I saw a fax machine, it was amazing! Now mine is in the cellar gathering dust. It was a combination of fax, phone and answering machine, also "useful" for awkward, bad quality copies. It served me wellish for about 10 years.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 08 Jan, 2011 10:17 PM Quote

I remember coming across a "Telex" machine in Ivor's at one stage. It was ancient.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sat 08 Jan, 2011 10:23 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I remember coming across a "Telex" machine in Ivor's at one stage. It was ancient.

Dubz

Ooh, I had a Summer job which required sending telex messages, some of them saved in long perforated strips of paper. I once sent one to a wrong shipping company… (didn't realise there were two with similar names!).
Those machines were amazing, and one could have an online conversation, too! When someone in the other end wanted immediate attention, the machine started to chime and the colour of the text changed to red. The original chat?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 09 Jan, 2011 1:20 AM Quote
They left out buying TV/radio tubes at the grocery store ...Heathens !

Being able to leagaly ride in the back of a pick up truck ?

mili
mili Posted Sun 09 Jan, 2011 9:42 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

Being able to leagaly ride in the back of a pick up truck ?

No seatbelts, even in front. I remember the first time I was told to use a seatbelt at the back, it was in a Saab in the 1970's

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 10 Jan, 2011 2:09 PM Quote
using coat hangers for TV attenna's

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 10 Jan, 2011 3:00 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
using coat hangers for TV attenna's

With aluminum foil on the ends!

I remember having to buy tubes for the TV. And having to wait for the TV to "warm up" before it was watchable. And turning it off and the screen fading into a little dot in the middle.

Actually, they say with the high price of cable and more digital stations available through the air, that rabbit ear antennas are making a comeback.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 10 Jan, 2011 3:09 PM Quote
I have rabbit ears, There are 5 or 6 "state" channels broadcast digitally, I have them for that, even though I have a Cable Box.

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 10 Jan, 2011 7:39 PM Quote

Reading that list it appears I'm living in the past, lol. At least in Argentina, some of those things haven't become obsolete at all and I think it will take a long while before they disappear: travel agents, books (there aren't any substitutes for books, I can't imagine myself not reading books), paper maps (I've got like 3 kilos of maps from every city I visited in Europe), wired phones, wires, hand-written letters, commercials on TV (I think there are more commercials than actual contents on tv in Argentina). And the Mail still exists but it can kiss my arse (I'm so upset with it I talk about the Mail in every post I'm writing today, I'm sorry).
So maybe it's a first world countries thing?

mili wrote:
Me too. I remember the first time I saw a fax machine, it was amazing! Now mine is in the cellar gathering dust. It was a combination of fax, phone and answering machine, also "useful" for awkward, bad quality copies. It served me wellish for about 10 years.

I've got one of those at home! It's still working and we still use it today. :oP

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 11 Jan, 2011 12:26 PM Quote
[/quote]

Ooh, I had a Summer job which required sending telex messages, some of them saved in long perforated strips of paper. I once sent one to a wrong shipping company… (didn't realise there were two with similar names!).
Those machines were amazing, and one could have an online conversation, too! When someone in the other end wanted immediate attention, the machine started to chime and the colour of the text changed to red. The original chat? [/quote]

yep I used one many years ago working for a kilt manufacturer. you could make a paper tape first and them run it through or do it directly online.. whaterver it made quite a racket !

mili
mili Posted Tue 11 Jan, 2011 12:55 PM Quote
I would still have the fax machine, if keeping the land line still made sense. It became expensive, and the only people who faxed/phoned me there tried to sell me something. There was a time when it was essential, though! Now almost all communication to do with my work is done by emails, mobile phones and pdfs.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 11 Jan, 2011 1:37 PM Quote
bottles and packages without a safety seal

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 11 Jan, 2011 1:43 PM Quote
I was talking to my husband on the phone yesterday and he said if I was wondering what the weird noise was, they had moved the fax machine into his office. I asked him how often they use the fax machine and he said not as much as they used to, but they still use it quite a bit. They often have documents that require signatures and it's easier to do that with a fax machine rather than scanning and emailing a form.

Juli, none of the things on the list is even close to disappearing. I think it's just a forecast of where the world is heading.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 11 Jan, 2011 3:35 PM Quote
I don't know how travel agents are still in business. I need a flight, hotel, etc...I hit the interenet. Work still has a fax machine that isnt used a ton, but enough to justify having it. And i havent used a phonebook in years. I laugh when they come in the mail every year.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:50 AM