Turtleneck Posted Wed 17 Nov, 2010 11:52 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[

Oregano vs Oregano

Jaguar vs Jaguar

Dubz

basil/basil

The funny thing about basil...if it were the herb (pronounced erb) I would call is basil (rhyming with nasal?), but if it were the man's name, like Basil Rathbone, I would pronounce it basil rhyming with dazzle.

Re: Spelling USA vs UK
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 1:26 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I never even thought of letters...

H - "h'aitch" or "aitch"
J - "jay" or "jai"
Z - "zed" or "zee"

Dubz

I'm confused on this one. Brits say h'aitch? (hey-tch?). and I'm not sure what jai is. Do american's say something other than "jay" and i've never noticed?

No "jay" is deffo J in the States, in Scotland it is "Jai"="Jeye" like "I"="eye"

Dubz

j-eye! Now that's just silly!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 6:52 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I never even thought of letters...

H - "h'aitch" or "aitch"
J - "jay" or "jai"
Z - "zed" or "zee"

Dubz

I'm confused on this one. Brits say h'aitch? (hey-tch?). and I'm not sure what jai is. Do american's say something other than "jay" and i've never noticed?

No "jay" is deffo J in the States, in Scotland it is "Jai"="Jeye" like "I"="eye"

Dubz

j-eye! Now that's just silly!

I think, though I may be wrong, that in the latin alphabet there is no "J". Therefore "I" & "J" are the same letter and are interchangable. Much like "V" & "U".

For example there's something to do with Jesus on the cross. I.N.R.I. which is Iesvs·Nazarenvs·Rex·Ivdaeorvm (Jesus of Nazareth, King [Reign] of the Jews).

So "eye" and "jai" (jeye) may be closer than you think...

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 3:50 PM Quote
Not a spelling question, but a royalty question. Ok, I read that if Prince William becomes king, then his wife will become queen. But the current queen is married and her husband isn't the king. Does it only work one way? The king's wife is the queen, but the queen's husband isn't the king?

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 5:44 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Not a spelling question, but a royalty question. Ok, I read that if Prince William becomes king, then his wife will become queen. But the current queen is married and her husband isn't the king. Does it only work one way? The king's wife is the queen, but the queen's husband isn't the king?

Queen Elizabeth has to be the most important person. If Prince Philip were King he'd have more authority than his wife so he remains the Queen's consort instead. I think the royal family is still quite sexist - the King can have his Queen but the poor ol' Queen gets stuck with a mere Prince. Don't forget you're still better off being a boy if you're in the line of succession.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 7:50 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Hmmm, yes, usually a queen's husband should be a "King consort", but it's true, the husbands of the two British Queens [after Queen Anne (Act of Union, "Great Britain" and all that stuff)] just became "Prince consorts"...

Now the only thing I kinda remember about this* is that Queen Victoria tried to get Albert made "King Consort", but the Parliament refused (because he wasn't British). I don't know if Elizabeth II ever even tried... but I don't think there's a law saying "there cannot be a King consort in the UK"...

[*oh dear, I should know A LOT more about this stuff! I graduated in British Cultural Studies just a few months ago...]

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 8:41 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Hmmm, yes, usually a queen's husband should be a "King consort", but it's true, the husbands of the two British Queens [after Queen Anne (Act of Union, "Great Britain" and all that stuff)] just became "Prince consorts"...

Now the only thing I kinda remember about this* is that Queen Victoria tried to get Albert made "King Consort", but the Parliament refused (because he wasn't British). I don't know if Elizabeth II ever even tried... but I don't think there's a law saying "there cannot be a King consort in the UK"...

[*oh dear, I should know A LOT more about this stuff! I graduated in British Cultural Studies just a few months ago...]

Queen Elizabeth II of England, Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Sorry I know it's pedantic but she's Queen Elizabeth the first of Scotland, the first "English" Queen Elizabeth was before the act of union and therefore Queen of England only.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 9:03 PM Quote
If the United States ever got a female president, would her husband be the First Gentleman? That would be weird.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 18 Nov, 2010 10:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
If the United States ever got a female president, would her husband be the First Gentleman? That would be weird.

He'd be the maZn ?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 19 Nov, 2010 3:33 AM Quote

I got totally lost with these differences. I think I just mix USA and UK English without following any criterium at all. :oP

Turtleneck wrote:

We used to have a First Gentleman (the one that passed away). But everyone joked about the name (even himself), so since it's "primera dama" in Spanish for the ladies, he was called "el primer damo", though the word "damo" doesn't really exist. :oP

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 19 Nov, 2010 4:01 AM Quote
Juli, I keep thinking you are Megg, due to your avatar. Her blonde hair stands out and I thinks it's her on first glance without looking at the name.
"Why is Megg talking about speaking Spanish?" I ask myself.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:17 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Queen Elizabeth II of England, Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Sorry I know it's pedantic but she's Queen Elizabeth the first of Scotland, the first "English" Queen Elizabeth was before the act of union and therefore Queen of England only.

Dubz

woops!! I should've paid more attention to what exactly I was writing (Oh my, my professors would be VERY disappointed *sigh*)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:36 AM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

woops!! I should've paid more attention to what exactly I was writing (Oh my, my professors would be VERY disappointed *sigh*)

Not at all, most people in the UK don't know or refuse to acknoweldge this fact either.

Dubz

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 19 Nov, 2010 6:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Juli, I keep thinking you are Megg, due to your avatar. Her blonde hair stands out and I thinks it's her on first glance without looking at the name.
"Why is Megg talking about speaking Spanish?" I ask myself.

Haha, sorry. I'm honoured that you thought I was Megg, because she's so much cooler than I am (and taller). However, this is not a good thing for her, so I'll try to find a new profile pic soon. :oP

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 7:29 PM