Travis

Is it acceptable to disturb a minutes silence ?
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 4:23 PM Quote

at any time ?

I ask this as my team are playing another team on Sunday of which a certain section of their support have made it know they will disturb the minutes silence to mark Rememberance Day.

Personally I don't think it has any place at a football match nor do I agree with it, I don't think we should set aside a time and date but rather remember the sacrifice in our own personal way. However, I do respect the fact that others do want to pay their respects in this way and as such feel I should respect their decision and shut up for 60 seconds. (please no jokes about Dubz never being able to shut up for less than one minute).

Is it ever acceptable to disturb or should there be a time and place to make a valid protest.

Dubz

Re: Is it acceptable to disturb a minutes silence ?
mili
mili Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 4:47 PM Quote
I think disturbing the minute's silence shows bad taste. I don't know what would be a valid way to protest against the silence, though.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 5:05 PM Quote
nope. if you can't hangle just one min , get the fuck outta there

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 5:16 PM Quote
It would be very disrespectful. Whether you are anti-war or not, it's not just about THIS war that is going on now. There are still some old veterans kicking around and relatives of soldiers who lost their lives. Remembrance Day is really for them and their sacrifices. If people want to protest, that is not the time.

If some crazy group was having a moment of silence for all the suicide bombers who gave their lives to further the cause of terrorism, that's something that can be interrupted. Only something crack-pot.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 5:47 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
If some crazy group was having a moment of silence for all the suicide bombers who gave their lives to further the cause of terrorism, that's something that can be interrupted. Only something crack-pot.

I disagree. Not sure if they'd have a moment of silence for the suicide bombers, since they don't actually consider sacrificing themselves as a loss (plus, I really doubt they'd say they're fighting for the cause of terrorism, since terror is a mean, not an aim or purpose). But either way, I think every group that wants to have a minute of silence should have the same rights.
Whether you agree with the motives of the commemoration or not, it's really not "the other side's" call to make. It's just like what you're saying with anti-war groups wanting to disturb a minute of silence for rememberance day. Everyone should have the same rights on how to express respect for their lost soldiers, whether other people agree or not with the cause.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 6:11 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Everyone should have the same rights on how to express respect for their lost soldiers, whether other people agree or not with the cause.

I don't agree. You're right in this particular case Dubz mentioned. But would it be ok if anyone wanted to "express respect" for, let's say, Nazi soldiers while in Auschwitz? I don't think so.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 09 Nov, 2010 6:37 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Everyone should have the same rights on how to express respect for their lost soldiers, whether other people agree or not with the cause.

I don't agree. You're right in this particular case Dubz mentioned. But would it be ok if anyone wanted to "express respect" for, let's say, Nazi soldiers while in Auschwitz? I don't think so.

I see your point. It's not the same when we're talking about genocide, since it's one group exterminating another one.
But when it comes to war, there are always two sides and it's not "good" versus "evil". For example, during World War II, the Allied bombing of Hamburg killed 42000 civilians. I don't think I would be thrilled about a minute of silence for the soldiers who took part of that. Or for any of the western soldiers who died trying to invade foreign countries.
Still, if their people want to pay them respect, it's their call, not mine.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 10 Nov, 2010 7:13 AM Quote
While it may not be seen as wholly acceptable to hold a minutes silence for German Soldiers in Auchwitz or Suicide Bombers, the fact remains that these people are dead and have left families behind, families who may or may not have agreed with their lost one's stand.

Should the protest against these sort of things take place during the silence. Or should it take place before or after to give people/family a chance to reflect in peace ??

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 10 Nov, 2010 1:15 PM Quote
I think it's disrespectful.

If someone wants to protest give them that right before or after but it's an infringement on someone else's rights to disrupt their reflection period.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 10 Nov, 2010 2:00 PM Quote
What are they protesting? War? The "moment of silence" itself?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 10 Nov, 2010 3:07 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
What are they protesting? War? The "moment of silence" itself?

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173454471l/290562.jpg

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 10 Nov, 2010 7:25 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Should the protest against these sort of things take place during the silence. Or should it take place before or after to give people/family a chance to reflect in peace ??

Dubz

Before or after, definitely not during.

Scottish Dubliner wrote:
While it may not be seen as wholly acceptable to hold a minutes silence for German Soldiers in Auchwitz or Suicide Bombers, the fact remains that these people are dead and have left families behind, families who may or may not have agreed with their lost one's stand.

Yes, so their families are free to pay their respects if they want to wherever and whenever but doing that in a concentration camp (in case of Nazis (Nazi soldiers, not German, there's a difference btw)) or Ground Zero is, in my opinion, absolutely unacceptable.

Still, that's just an example. I've never heard of anyone doing anything like that.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 1:23 PM