Travis

Re: WRECKORDER First listen - thoughts?!
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Wed 06 Oct, 2010 8:33 PM Quote
The only one I'd call indulgent is As It Comes. It's weird because lyrically it's one of the most interesting on the album but musically I find it so limp it's unbelievable, just so bland. You expect it to build into something but the chorus when it arrives is almost non-existant and I dunno, I expected it to be one of the highlights. I really wonder if it would have been on the album but for the Paul McCartney link. I think Shadow Boxing is a lot more interesting if hard to get into, and In The Morning while pretty vague lyrically is a really solid opener IMO.

Forgot Sierra Leone completely, I like it. Would probably fit in about two thirds down the list, above Shadow Boxing.

elodie
elodie Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 12:32 AM Quote
I have to say I don't really understand the production of As It Comes. It is a brilliant song, for sure, lyrically interesting and the shift between Am minor, Fminor and C is interesting in the chorus but I really don't like the orchestration.
Are the strings synthetic? It sounds just like the demo version.
I really like the piano bit when it is acoustically done by Andy but it sounds so much more 'mechanical' on the record! Just like a garageband piano or something like that. Once again, don't misunderstand me, the melody and lyrics are great but I don't understand the choice of instruments. That was the first thing that stroke me. Any thoughts about that?

Beat Poet
Beat Poet Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 12:48 AM Quote
The programmed drums aren't rocking my world, being a drummer!

elodie
elodie Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 1:10 AM Quote
@beat poet: same here.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 1:24 PM Quote
As It Comes is definitely my least favourite, but I still prefer it over Friends and especially Get Up from Ode To J Smith. Shadow Boxing is my second least favourite, but there's still something I really love about it. It's a great listen. The album is fantastic, and I'm so excited about Travis' next album. If Dougie and Andy have been writing for the past couple of years, and with Fran being on top form, it could something really special. :)

kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 1:50 PM Quote
I have to admit I haven't been excited about the last couple of albums but this is GREAT. Honestly the best thing since 12 memories. I haven't even been on here for maybe 3 years (hence new user details) and this album has really got me excited again. Well done Fran, fab stuff.

Karen x

kazamajazz
kazamajazz Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 2:29 PM Quote
one more comment, you know an album is good when you get to the end and feel it was over too quick so have to put it on again.....

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 4:41 PM Quote
Though I love The Boy With No Name, I agree this is Fran's best stuff in years. Personally, I think it's the best since The Invisible Band (my favourite Travis album). :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 07 Oct, 2010 8:01 PM Quote
For me the last Travis album with 'the spark' was actually probably TBWNN. I forgot how good that was. Selfish Jean, Big Chair, Closer, Battleships, One Night, Three Times.....to be honest it's right up there as one of my favourite Fran/Travis albums, well above 12 Memories and Ode. Brilliant and incredibly underrated IMO. Ode sounds awful to me in comparison. So many of the songs are pretty terrible, being brutally honest. Get Up for instance.

What made me even less impressed with Ode was the whole 'concept album' thing which stripped away a lot of the meaning/sincerity from it, for me at least. I really couldn't care less about this J.Smith guy.

Wreckorder's back to being really meaningful stuff but more importantly the quality of the songwriting's so strong throughout - no dull attempts to 'rock out' a la Ode, just melodies and beautiful songwriting. I'm more impressed the more I hear of it, amnd so many songs just seem way too short to me - Fly In The Ointment is fantastic, really grown on me massively and yeah, it's probably just As It Comes that has disappointed. I heard FITO, In The Morning and Holiday previously and was slightly underwhelmed by all three, particularly Holiday on the live album - but on record they sound so fresh and they just take on a life of their own, the production is so brilliant.

Great album. Deserves massive success.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:29 PM Quote
After 2 1/2 listenings (wish my journey to work is as long as the album !) I can't comment on all the songs right now but something is for sure overall I love it !! It's so different from a Travis album but then that's what it should be. It keeps your attention right until the end and this is not so with many albums. So far Buttercups, Holiday and Sierra Leone are instant fave but I'm sure there are quite a few more that will grow on me.
What I hate is the beat box sound on Sing Me to Sleep though! (IS it a beat box ??)

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Wed 13 Oct, 2010 3:41 PM Quote
I've just finished my first listen and I have to say it's a really good album. My favourites by the moment are Anything, Buttercups and Rocking Chair. I'll have another listen later :)

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 7:52 AM