Travis

Re: 2012 London Olympic Mascots
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 6:09 AM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Oh goodie, do I hold the record now???

OMG Mer! You made 12 identical posts! You're the person of my working title for Travis' next album! Ode To The Invisible Man With No Name Who Made 12 Identical Posts thanks to Error_1!'s Good Feeling. You're the invisible (wo)man with no name!!! Lol.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 6:09 AM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Oh goodie, do I hold the record now???

OMG Mer! You made 12 identical posts! You're the person of my working title for Travis' next album! Ode To The Invisible Man With No Name Who Made 12 Identical Posts thanks to Error_1!'s Good Feeling. You're the invisible (wo)man with no name!!! Lol.

Edit: I just felt the need to say that twice. :oP

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 12:29 PM Quote
that was impressive, mer! and good working title Juli!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 2:39 PM Quote
Prepare to be horrified

My son is in 2nd grade so this excerpt from a blog really made me laugh:
Officials boasted that focus groups of children helped form the designs of the mascots, which makes total sense because this looks exactly like something a bunch of second-graders would create as a class project. It's like Wenlock and Mandeville were pieced together from every child's suggestion. "They should have one eye!" "It'd be cool if they did karate!" "Make them fly!" There was no filter. Instead of simple (like the only good Olympic mascot in history, Barcelona's Cobi) London went for a design as complicated as can be.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 2:44 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Instead of simple (like the only good Olympic mascot in history, Barcelona's Cobi)

pfft, they clearly didnt see the Vancouver Olympic mascots! Best. Ever.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 3:03 PM Quote
Truly terrible. It's like an Olympic propaganda video. Way too much like those evil Teletubbies. *shudder*

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 3:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
Instead of simple (like the only good Olympic mascot in history, Barcelona's Cobi)

pfft, they clearly didnt see the Vancouver Olympic mascots! Best. Ever.

Barcelona's was cute but I agree that Vancouver's was better.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 9:22 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I do what I can. :) And Juli, I quite like that title too! Now let's see how many times my reply will show up. We should make a game of this.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 9:22 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I do what I can. :) And Juli, I quite like that title too! Now let's see how many times my reply will show up. We should make a game of this.

EDIT: Pffftttt! Only one double post this time.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 9:56 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
minnmess wrote:

EDIT: Pffftttt! Only one double post this time.

you are losing your magical touch

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 10:11 PM Quote
This article sums them up pretty accurately in my opinion:

Quote:
MILLIONS of children are waking up this morning drenched in sweat and urine following the unveiling of the London 2012 Olympic mascots.

Wenlock and Mandeville were greeted with a chorus of blood-curdling screams as onlookers trampled each other in a desperate bid to escape.

Meanwhile London mayor Boris Johnson insisted the mascots encapsulated the spirit of the city before kneeling down in front of them and begging for his life.

Emma Bishop, a mother of two from Finsbury Park, said: "The names sound like a pair of prostitute-murdering opium addicts from the 1880s and they look like the Tellytubbies' abusive uncles.

"What we've got here is two giant, damaged teeth, each with a massive, psychotic eye and razor sharp claws. And the blue one seems to using bright, friendly colours to draw attention to his genital area.

"So these things - designed specifically for children - are basically lobster-clawed pervert monsters that remind them of the dentist. Bravo."

Helen Archer, a mother of three from Hatfield, said: "So the next time my five year-old loses a tooth and I tell him to put it under his pillow for the tooth fairy he will scream in terror and tell me it will grow into Wenlock and eat his head like it was a Malteser.
"I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but Adrian Chiles is no longer the most disturbing thing to appear on The One Show."

Cowering behind the television with a jumper over his head, Archer's seven year-old son Jake added: "Leave me be Mr Mandeville. I'll be a good boy, I promise I will."

The mascots were developed by the sinisterly-named children's author Michael Morpurgo who conducted focus groups across the country to boil down childhood terror to its elemental form.

He said: "We initially thought of using those silent, floating zombies from Buffy The Vampire Slayer but Wenlock and Mandeville have the added bonus of looking like they could suddenly appear inside a pencil case or at the bottom of a Happy Meal."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/the-mascot-nightmares-begin-201005202749/

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 10:40 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:

The mascots were developed by the sinisterly-named children's author Michael Morpurgo who conducted focus groups across the country to boil down childhood terror to its elemental form.

I almost never do this, but I have to. LOL!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 11:03 PM Quote
HA! Error1 has a rather appropriate avatar

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 20 May, 2010 11:08 PM Quote
Oh man, I had tears coming out reading this because I was laughing so hard.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 4:29 AM