Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:52 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Kristy - Don't worry too much, you'll get there. Can you get your mum to post you something from home ??

Dubz

yup. I changed my statements from e to paper last night, so that one will be sent to my parents incase I need it. Emailed the mother last night to say it was coming and i'd let her know if I need it sent. Ideally the NI number paperwork comes end of this week/begining of next and I can just get the ball rolling that way.
My cousin's brother in law lives here, so i emailed him yesterday for some advice and he said everything here is based on credit history. how am i going to have credit history here? odd

Don't worry too much about credit history, everyone starts with a blank sheet. What companies are looking for in Credit History is negative rather than positive, unpaid loans, broken contracts, credit card debts, etc. And since you have only arrived you can't have anything like that. For example be careful when picking a mobile (cell) phone because you will end up with a contract and you will be stuck with it for the year at least. This is why a lot of people stick to the pre-paid phones.

Dubz

I want to get a plan just because the upfront price as a pay as you go (at least for a decent phone, which I want) is way too much. I want a blackberry, or something. Just be easier to have data plan, etc. And they are so much cheaper here than at home. Been looking at 18 month plans, but i will find out how much it is to buy out if I need to get out of it.
Apperently if I register to vote, it improves my credit rating. The fact that I CAN register to vote is odd!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:02 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Kristy - Don't worry too much, you'll get there. Can you get your mum to post you something from home ??

Dubz

yup. I changed my statements from e to paper last night, so that one will be sent to my parents incase I need it. Emailed the mother last night to say it was coming and i'd let her know if I need it sent. Ideally the NI number paperwork comes end of this week/begining of next and I can just get the ball rolling that way.
My cousin's brother in law lives here, so i emailed him yesterday for some advice and he said everything here is based on credit history. how am i going to have credit history here? odd

Don't worry too much about credit history, everyone starts with a blank sheet. What companies are looking for in Credit History is negative rather than positive, unpaid loans, broken contracts, credit card debts, etc. And since you have only arrived you can't have anything like that. For example be careful when picking a mobile (cell) phone because you will end up with a contract and you will be stuck with it for the year at least. This is why a lot of people stick to the pre-paid phones.

Dubz

I want to get a plan just because the upfront price as a pay as you go (at least for a decent phone, which I want) is way too much. I want a blackberry, or something. Just be easier to have data plan, etc. And they are so much cheaper here than at home. Been looking at 18 month plans, but i will find out how much it is to buy out if I need to get out of it.
Apperently if I register to vote, it improves my credit rating. The fact that I CAN register to vote is odd!

Registering to vote puts you on the electoral register, which is publicly available for anyone to view.

In Ireland probably same in the UK, various residents have various rights when it comes to voting. For example, Anyone can vote in a local council election (as long as they have registered) so they can have a say in local matters which affect their area but only resident citizens can vote in the General Election as it affects the country as a whole. EU citizens living in the country can vote on European Elections (The EU Parliment) and so on.

It's probably a good idea to register it's another piece of ID for proof of who you are and where you live.

Good Luck !!

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:16 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[
Registering to vote puts you on the electoral register, which is publicly available for anyone to view.

In Ireland probably same in the UK, various residents have various rights when it comes to voting. For example, Anyone can vote in a local council election (as long as they have registered) so they can have a say in local matters which affect their area but only resident citizens can vote in the General Election as it affects the country as a whole. EU citizens living in the country can vote on European Elections (The EU Parliment) and so on.

It's probably a good idea to register it's another piece of ID for proof of who you are and where you live.

Good Luck !!

Dubz

cool, thanks for the info. I just quickly looked into it last night so I dont know what I would have the right to vote in, but I dont think I would vote anyways. not now anyways. Maybe in a year when I have any idea what is going on. But Im not registering until I have my own phone #. Trying to avoid using the people's number that Im staying with as much as possible, except job stuff, as to not be annoying. I'm already using their address for everything.

Emailed Meggy about maybe meeting up tomorrow, so perhaps we will have a picture to show you soon.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 1:24 PM Quote
My husband has three cousins. All of them are crazy in their own way. His one male cousin got married a few years ago. She's nice but also insane. For example we went to the theater for his mom's birthday and she snuck in a bottle of champagne that she opened in the middle of the show and proceeded to drink. It was classy.

Anyway, I still do generally like her but sometimes she and the cousin post some pretty pukey stuff on Facebook. I really had to share this gem:

I said I wanted nothing for Valentine's Day but,... I got a night vision camera pointed at my bed with feed to my bedroom TV...top that!

I really did not need to know that.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 2:51 PM Quote
A night vision camera, who says romance is dead?

Well, I guess I should be extremely grateful that our van broke when it did, right in front of my house. We got a call from the shop yesterday (yes, 2 WEEKS after having it towed there) that the cradle that holds the engine mount is 95% rusted away. Isn't that nice? Oh, and something else that holds the car together in the back is separating. And Ford apparently just issued a recall two days ago because of some steering mechanism issue or other which sounds just like what happened to ours. So, now we have to have the van towed from the auto shop to the Ford dealership where it will probably be declared D.O.A. because these are issues that can't be fixed. We'll be compensated in some way, but not much. Looks like we're looking at having a car payment again. :o(
Our other car is a '94, so we thought that one would go first. It will probably not be far behind.
Adult life is an endless money pit. And scary to think we were basically riding around on a foundation of rust.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 4:39 PM Quote
Sorry Kayte. : ( That really stinks. But I am glad you know about the problem since sounds like your vehicle had reached an unsafe point.

Do you have Carmax up there? We got a great deal on our car and you can look online which saves a lot of time.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 4:52 PM Quote
It's called a engine mount ?

Just remember FORD stands for first on race day

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 5:00 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

Just as Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow.

I also once worked with a New Yorker who told me that Pontiac stood for...

Poor Old (self censored) Thinks It's A Cadillac.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 5:21 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

There's even a "rear mount" which sounds even worse. We have been a Ford family all my life. My dad worked for Ford, my step-dad worked for Ford. There was no option to get anything else. Now Ford no longer makes minivans and to tell the truth, I'd be afriad to get another one after all the millions of recalls we've had. It'll be weird buying a non-Ford car.

weirdmom wrote:

Do you have Carmax up there? We got a great deal on our car and you can look online which saves a lot of time.

I just checked. The closest one is 250 miles away in Columbus, Ohio.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 6:30 PM Quote

Oh, so sorry to hear that, Kayte. We're also checking out cars, since our Ford Galaxy is dying (I can't remember if we bought it in '92-3-4).

Megg & Kristy: I dreamed that you had moved to New York instead of London, and that there was going to be a boardie convention. Ale (my sister) was going but I had to stay here because I didn't have enough money for the trip. I was very jealous. :oP

Thank you all for the good wishes! Interview went well, they told me the final desicion will be made by the whole committee by the end of next week. I've got until Monday to present the letters. One is ready, I'm waiting for the other professor to reply. But if I get the letters on time I'm confident everything will be ok. :o)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Feb, 2011 7:04 PM Quote
got my first rejection email today. well, first rejection for work. I get other rejections all the time :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:18 AM Quote
a- Im going to see Meggy today
b- I have an interview next week!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:51 AM Quote
Good Luck with the Interview, don't worry about rejection letters, at least you are getting a reply a lot of places I'm applying to do not even have the common courtesy to send me an e-mail/letter saying "Thanks but no thanks".

Hope you and Megg have a great day !!

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:56 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Good Luck with the Interview, don't worry about rejection letters, at least you are getting a reply a lot of places I'm applying to do not even have the common courtesy to send me an e-mail/letter saying "Thanks but no thanks".

Hope you and Megg have a great day !!

Dubz

I was actually happy to get it, for that very reason. One less to think about. And at least it means that I know they got it and all these applications are atleast being read!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 17 Feb, 2011 1:06 PM Quote
Is Linkedin used a lot in England?

Pages Previous 1...72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:04 PM