Travis

   
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Posts: 7556
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:06 PM Quote

I'm sorry about the job, Dubz. And like Anne said, I hope everyone who's trying to find a job finds one.
Unemployment in Argentina is not as bad as it used to be several years ago. But depending on which area you want to work in, it can be really hard. For example, ingeneering, sales, no problem there, you can easily find a job. Social sciences is not that simple, though.

Turtleneck wrote:

I also told her that kissing is probably against school rules. She couldn't understand why.


Even if it's not on the lips it'd be against school rules?
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:20 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

I'm sorry about the job, Dubz. And like Anne said, I hope everyone who's trying to find a job finds one.
Unemployment in Argentina is not as bad as it used to be several years ago. But depending on which area you want to work in, it can be really hard. For example, ingeneering, sales, no problem there, you can easily find a job. Social sciences is not that simple, though.

Turtleneck wrote:

I also told her that kissing is probably against school rules. She couldn't understand why.


Even if it's not on the lips it'd be against school rules?


haha, Argentina is different, isnt it? lol.
what with your kissing day. Or hugging day.Or whatever it is.
children kissing isnt normally encouraged at school in North America.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Posts: 7556
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:34 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

haha, Argentina is different, isnt it? lol.
what with your kissing day. Or hugging day.Or whatever it is.
children kissing isnt normally encouraged at school in North America.


Well, it's not different in Argentina when it comes to kisses on the lips, but a kiss on the cheek? Kisses on the cheeks are the most ordinary thing in the world. Lol! I know in North America kissing is not as common as it is in other places, but I never thought it would be wrong for a kid to kiss another one on the cheek, haha.
It's sweetness week: for seven days people exchange a sweet for a kiss (on the cheek). :oP

My friend (from Argentina) who lives in Germany was surprised at how distant teachers at kindergarten are over there: to greet the kids they shake their hands. That would be considered a cold (and very weird) attitude here, haha.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:48 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
minnmess wrote:

haha, Argentina is different, isnt it? lol.
what with your kissing day. Or hugging day.Or whatever it is.
children kissing isnt normally encouraged at school in North America.


Well, it's not different in Argentina when it comes to kisses on the lips, but a kiss on the cheek? Kisses on the cheeks are the most ordinary thing in the world. Lol! I know in North America kissing is not as common as it is in other places, but I never thought it would be wrong for a kid to kiss another one on the cheek, haha.
It's sweetness week: for seven days people exchange a sweet for a kiss (on the cheek). :oP

My friend (from Argentina) who lives in Germany was surprised at how distant teachers at kindergarten are over there: to greet the kids they shake their hands. That would be considered a cold (and very weird) attitude here, haha.


Was watching QI (quite interesting, a quiz show) the other night, Stephen Fry was explaining that before Oscar Wilde was "sent down for being a woopsie" (imprisoned for his homosexuality), It was common place in England for men to walk around with arms linked. Apparently it was a common sight to see soldiers strolling through Hyde Park arm in arm. But the attitude changed after Wilde was tried and convicted, Men became more "stand off-ish" for fear of being accused of something untoward (in the eyes of the law).


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:59 PM Quote
I think there is a rule against it because let's say the little boy goes home and tells his mother that some girl kissed him and he didn't like it and the mom would freak out and tell the teacher and it could turn into a big thing. There's a "paws off" policy at school this year, no unnecessary touching. This was put in place because of bullying and hitting, but I'm sure they'd apply it to unwanted affection, too.

I'm sure there would be allowances for a kindergarten kiss on the cheek, but still. I guess if the shoe was on the other foot and some boy kissed Violet, I wouldn't like it.
I can see the reason for the rule.

Like mother, like daughter, though. I kissed a boy when I was in kindergarten.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 6:20 PM Quote
I love QI! And Stephen Fry!

Okay, shaking the hands of kingergarden kids is ridiculous. There is this picture of our Prime Minster sending his son off to his first day of school and he is shaking his hand. It was a giant joke that just solidified what a robot he is.
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20060125/160_harper_ben_060125.jpg

 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Posts: 7556
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 6:45 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Was watching QI (quite interesting, a quiz show) the other night, Stephen Fry was explaining that before Oscar Wilde was "sent down for being a woopsie" (imprisoned for his homosexuality), It was common place in England for men to walk around with arms linked. Apparently it was a common sight to see soldiers strolling through Hyde Park arm in arm. But the attitude changed after Wilde was tried and convicted, Men became more "stand off-ish" for fear of being accused of something untoward (in the eyes of the law).


Dubz


That's very interesting.

It's all clearly a cultural thing. It's quite funny. Here kids say hello to eachother and kiss on the cheek (just like adults do), so nobody would guess it's something to worry about.

The dad shaking the hand of his son looks absurd, haha.

This all reminded me of something that happened to a friend when she was in kindergarten: she was about to go down the slide and a boy was coming right behind her and he bit her bottom. LOL! Now that's weird, haha.
What made it funnier was that when she told me this anecdote she didn't remember if she had been bitten or if she had been the biter and had to ask her mum. :oP
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
weirdmom
Posts: 7598
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 6:48 PM Quote
Teachers give hugs to kids but yes, there is generally a no kissing policy here. I think part of it is it's easier to say no kissing period versus a kiss on the cheek is OK but not on the lips. Since we don't give cheek kisses as much here it probably is harder for kids to see the difference.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 7:14 PM Quote
One tiny sliver of good luck in the mess that is my shit life...

Just had a text from the HSE (Health Service Executive) to tell me my application for a Medical Card has been granted, This means I don't have to pay when visiting the doctor. Which is a huge help it's usually around 60. Not that I visit the doctor very often but it's handy to have should I need it.

Gonna head back upstairs soon and polish off that bottle of Teachers Whiskey while watching TV, have The Longest Day and La Haine to watch as I Sky+'d them.

It's not actually Sky but I don't know how it's phrased when it's UPC/Chorus cable TV, I DVR'd them ?? You know the thing where you can record to a hard drive and watch later, you can set to record whole series (Seasons). I believe you Americans/Canadians call it teebo or something ??


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
weirdmom
Posts: 7598
weirdmom Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 7:56 PM Quote
Teebo. giggle

Teebo is a specific brand but I think it's basically died as most cable companies offer it now. We also call it a DVR.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:05 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Teebo. giggle

Teebo is a specific brand but I think it's basically died as most cable companies offer it now. We also call it a DVR.


he he he teebo. I like that you didnt put the right name thought Anne.

I like that they text you. How modern! I cancelled my phone today, and am excited to get a new British one. Especially because Canadian cell phone prices are the highest in the world. ugh. no joke.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:19 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
Teebo. giggle

Teebo is a specific brand but I think it's basically died as most cable companies offer it now. We also call it a DVR.


he he he teebo. I like that you didnt put the right name thought Anne.

I like that they text you. How modern! I cancelled my phone today, and am excited to get a new British one. Especially because Canadian cell phone prices are the highest in the world. ugh. no joke.


They only text through a computer systm so they can stop you from ringing them. UK Mobiles (not Cells, you'll need to get used to English speak) used to be very cheap (sometimes free) if taken on bill pay, and not so cheap taken with pre-pay (you top-up with credit) don't know what they are like now though as I've been over here too long.

So what is the correct name for "Teebo" ??

btw if you do need to ask any question about living in the UK, please don't be afraid to ask or even pm (if you think it's too embarrassing to ask) me I'll be glad to help.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
Posts: 8142
minnmess Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:41 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
Teebo. giggle

Teebo is a specific brand but I think it's basically died as most cable companies offer it now. We also call it a DVR.


he he he teebo. I like that you didnt put the right name thought Anne.

I like that they text you. How modern! I cancelled my phone today, and am excited to get a new British one. Especially because Canadian cell phone prices are the highest in the world. ugh. no joke.


They only text through a computer systm so they can stop you from ringing them. UK Mobiles (not Cells, you'll need to get used to English speak) used to be very cheap (sometimes free) if taken on bill pay, and not so cheap taken with pre-pay (you top-up with credit) don't know what they are like now though as I've been over here too long.

So what is the correct name for "Teebo" ??

btw if you do need to ask any question about living in the UK, please don't be afraid to ask or even pm (if you think it's too embarrassing to ask) me I'll be glad to help.


Dubz


Tivo.

Haha, now Im wondering what embaressing questions I should be asking! I do need to get a phone (yes, mobile!) and bank account set up. But things ive read make setting up an account in London seem like a horror story. Like having to have a job first. But...I have money. I would like to be able to access it. In the UK!
If anyone has phone company suggestions, that would be great. Ideally a smart phone, not a iphone (I dont like touch screens) with a decent data plan.
Thanks Dubz! Im sure I will come up with a whole variety of questions once I am there.
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Posts: 8299
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:51 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
Teebo. giggle

Teebo is a specific brand but I think it's basically died as most cable companies offer it now. We also call it a DVR.


he he he teebo. I like that you didnt put the right name thought Anne.

I like that they text you. How modern! I cancelled my phone today, and am excited to get a new British one. Especially because Canadian cell phone prices are the highest in the world. ugh. no joke.


They only text through a computer systm so they can stop you from ringing them. UK Mobiles (not Cells, you'll need to get used to English speak) used to be very cheap (sometimes free) if taken on bill pay, and not so cheap taken with pre-pay (you top-up with credit) don't know what they are like now though as I've been over here too long.

So what is the correct name for "Teebo" ??

btw if you do need to ask any question about living in the UK, please don't be afraid to ask or even pm (if you think it's too embarrassing to ask) me I'll be glad to help.


Dubz


Tivo.

Haha, now Im wondering what embaressing questions I should be asking! I do need to get a phone (yes, mobile!) and bank account set up. But things ive read make setting up an account in London seem like a horror story. Like having to have a job first. But...I have money. I would like to be able to access it. In the UK!
If anyone has phone company suggestions, that would be great. Ideally a smart phone, not a iphone (I dont like touch screens) with a decent data plan.
Thanks Dubz! Im sure I will come up with a whole variety of questions once I am there.


It's a pity Esteban isn't around any more, he used to work for O2 I think. He'd be your best bet for asking about that sorta stuff, seem to remember Gladly being quite clued up on the ol' mobiles too.

When I was there you basically had three different operators. Vodafone, O2 and Orange. Each had their pros and cons as regards prices and coverage etc. I'll ask around and see what the story is.

As regards a bank account it used to be pretty easy all you did was walk into a bank and deposit money and they gave you an account but if it's the same as it is in Ireland (probably will be it's probably some EU regulation) it can be a bit more difficult. A passport and proof of address is needed, also if you are trying to deposit a lot of money, I think it's over 3,000 in Ireland you have to prove where it came from so have a receipt from your Canadian account.

When I used to do the banking for the Law School a few years back there was always people trying to put a year's rent into an account, usually Asians/Far Easterns and they couldn't understand why the bank wouldn't accept it without proof of where it came from.


Dubz
 
Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Turtleneck
Posts: 7404
Turtleneck Posted Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:52 PM Quote
Oh, please ask your embarrassing Living in London questions on the board! We can even start a new thread for it. It'll be fabulous. And educational.
 
Pages Previous 1...53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 Next All Times GMT Current Time 11:42 AM
Post Reply