Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 12:57 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
I got a summons for jury duty selection today! LAME! can you each write me a note saying that I am not suitable to be on a jury. i feel as though you have enough proof. thanks

You can get out of it if you have a criminal record.

Dubz

excellent! anyone want to be stabbed?

Edel
Edel Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 1:45 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
minnmess wrote:
I got a summons for jury duty selection today! LAME! can you each write me a note saying that I am not suitable to be on a jury. i feel as though you have enough proof. thanks

You can get out of it if you have a criminal record.

Dubz

excellent! anyone want to be stabbed?

Error_1!? Then again that wouldnt prob even be considered criminal anymore

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 2:45 PM Quote
CIVIC DUTY KRISTY ....think of the good you can do . I once had jury duty where the guy defended himself, put himself on the stand and cross examined himself . He even objected to his question to himself...it wasn't a pleasent experince..last time i had it i was excused but they didn't record it and i got a summons to reappear for not attending . good thing i remebered the case real well and was excused again .

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 2:51 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
CIVIC DUTY KRISTY ....think of the good you can do . I once had jury duty where the guy defended himself, put himself on the stand and cross examined himself . He even objected to his question to himself...it wasn't a pleasent experince..last time i had it i was excused but they didn't record it and i got a summons to reappear for not attending . good thing i remebered the case real well and was excused again .

a- that is hilarious
b- i recycle, isnt that enough of a civic duty
c- I really better get dismissed
d- Im going to a concert that night

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 3:13 PM Quote
I've only been called for jury selection once. I had to wait downtown ALLLLLL day, no phones allowed, paid an astronomical amount for parking (like $5 less than what we were paid for going there) and it was down to me and 4 other people for the last seat. I had just had a baby and I reeeeeally did not want to be on a jury. Luckily they took one of the other people and I got to go home. Bored out of my mind, but not chosen. Whew!

Don gets called every year, without fail. He actually likes it. He usually volunteers to be the foreman.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 3:19 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I've only been called for jury selection once. I had to wait downtown ALLLLLL day, no phones allowed, paid an astronomical amount for parking (like $5 less than what we were paid for going there) and it was down to me and 4 other people for the last seat. I had just had a baby and I reeeeeally did not want to be on a jury. Luckily they took one of the other people and I got to go home. Bored out of my mind, but not chosen. Whew!

Don gets called every year, without fail. He actually likes it. He usually volunteers to be the foreman.

Don be crazy. I hope I dont get selected. If I get out of the summons, it says I will just get called again, so Im going to go and look mean or irresponsible or something. that'll do it!
Luckily it is only a few blocks from work so I should just be able to park here and walk over. Also, it says scary things in the pamphlet like "if the trial goes beyond 100 days..."
I asked my mom to write me a note saying I'd be a bad juror (you know, like a note when you are sick from school) and she said "well yes, you are rather opinionated." I dont think she meant that as a good thing, but I rather liked it!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 3:20 PM Quote
I got called once but I just mailed back a form that I was the full-time caregiver for my kids and didn't even have to go in.

Could you claim Picky as an excuse?

My mom didn't get called for years and years and then went through this stage where she got a summons about every 2 weeks (or so it seemed)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 3:24 PM Quote
In the car my son said, "Mom, what do you call a witch on a beach?"

I nervously said "what?" because I reeeeeeeeallly thought he (possibly unintentionally) was about to say a bad word but he said, "a sandwitch."

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 3:28 PM Quote
Wear a T-shirt that says
KILL
KILL
KILL!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 3:31 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
I got called once but I just mailed back a form that I was the full-time caregiver for my kids and didn't even have to go in.

Could you claim Picky as an excuse?

My mom didn't get called for years and years and then went through this stage where she got a summons about every 2 weeks (or so it seemed)

It says on pamphlet, you are responsible for finding and paying for your own child (bunny) care. Lame!

My mom made it to her like 58th year before being called. She was dismissed because it was something involving the school board she works for. My dad's been called 2 or 3 times but they always let him go because he is diabetic. My one brother was called just after he turned 18 but it was in the middle of exams so he got out of it and I dont think my other brother has ever been called.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 5:27 PM Quote
Jury duty sounds fun to me. We don't have that system in Argentina. I don't know how it works but I haven't heard of anyone being called to be a part of a jury.
Why doesn't people want to go? Why do they have that if nobody wants to go?

Peewee wrote:

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fantastic! Yes let me know dates etc...always wanted to see prague, venice, and paris...so let me know I could meet you there haha a la Megg! Woot woot! My plans for Iceland in Sept/Oct have been dashed soooo I'd be up for a break :D

Perfect!! Our itinerary is nearly confirmed. We have to check a few things but it's nearly done, so I'll let you know guys real soon! And we're buying our plane tickets this week, so this is 100% sure. :o)
I must confess that even though I'm incredibly excited, I'm very scared of meeting boardies that don't speak Spanish. I haven't spoken in English in ages, so I'm very certain nobody will understand anything I say and I won't understand anything you say. So I'm very sorry in advance! :o/

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 5:33 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Peewee wrote:

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fantastic! Yes let me know dates etc...always wanted to see prague, venice, and paris...so let me know I could meet you there haha a la Megg! Woot woot! My plans for Iceland in Sept/Oct have been dashed soooo I'd be up for a break :D

Perfect!! Our itinerary is nearly confirmed. We have to check a few things but it's nearly done, so I'll let you know guys real soon! And we're buying our plane tickets this week, so this is 100% sure. :o)
I must confess that even though I'm incredibly excited, I'm very scared of meeting boardies that don't speak Spanish. I haven't spoken in English in ages, so I'm very certain nobody will understand anything I say and I won't understand anything you say. So I'm very sorry in advance! :o/

YAYY! I can't wait.
Don't be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure your spoken English will be much better than mine. Also, I've spent the last year meeting people from all over Europe, many of them with veeeeery poor English AND extreme accents and we always manage to communicate, so don't you worry about that!

Edit: BTW,I think you guys have chosen the best time to visit Europe- not as many tourists as during summer plus the weather is still great (most of the time)!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 5:45 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Jury duty sounds fun to me. We don't have that system in Argentina. I don't know how it works but I haven't heard of anyone being called to be a part of a jury.
Why doesn't people want to go? Why do they have that if nobody wants to go?

well some people like it. aka Kayte's husband.
It not the actual jury part that is annoying, at least to me, its that you could get selected to a trail that goes on FOREVER! I dont have time for that. I dont have time to be off work. I dont even really have time to go down and spend the day at the courthouse to see if I get selected. I've been told to bring a book as it will require sitting in a room for many hours.
and they have it because...you have the right to a trial infront of your peers. or something?

Meggster and Julimeister: I expect photos AND video of your European adventure. Perhaps one saying hello to all of us. Merci.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 8:22 PM Quote
Haha, thank you, Megg! I hope you're right. My English is running away from me. This is what happens when you stop studying a language and never use it. I'm making so many mistakes!
I've been doing some online research about the weather in Europe around that time and it said in many sites that May and September are the best months to visit Europe. It's going to be so great!!!! :oD

minnmess wrote:
Meggster and Julimeister: I expect photos AND video of your European adventure. Perhaps one saying hello to all of us. Merci.

Ok. :o) I'm meeting that cool polish chick, of course I'm taking photos! If we do a video I'll wave at the camera but I refuse to leave physical evidence of my horrible and strange English accent. :oP

minnmess wrote:

well some people like it. aka Kayte's husband.
It not the actual jury part that is annoying, at least to me, its that you could get selected to a trail that goes on FOREVER! I dont have time for that. I dont have time to be off work. I dont even really have time to go down and spend the day at the courthouse to see if I get selected. I've been told to bring a book as it will require sitting in a room for many hours.
and they have it because...you have the right to a trial infront of your peers. or something?

Ahh, I see. It can be complicated. Aren't you excused at work if you get selected?
I don't think we've got juries like those in Argentina. In criminal justice there are three judges. Other types of trials don't have too many oral instances and most stuff are set forth in writing.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 12 May, 2010 8:52 PM Quote
yes, you are excused, but it doesnt mean that the work I have to do magically goes away. Our biggest fundraising event of the year is...13 days after that day!

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:30 PM