Travis

Re: Personality of Travis.
Nell
Nell Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 10:27 AM Quote
neo1011 wrote:
Can anyone confirm for me if [i]The Man Who[/] album's opening & closing tracks use of the lyric WONDERWALL is an ode or insult to Oasis?!?!

Ode. What has that to do with this?

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 02 May, 2010 10:29 AM Quote
Error_!

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 1:58 AM Quote
Nell wrote:
Error_!

You mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafTAU5NW1I ?!?! If I find a hint of meaning in that comedy sketch, there me must be an Error_!?!?

Anyway, back to the original question. I solemnly swear we were rolling along with the Oasis topic vis-a-vis Travis quite nicely- hence my question.

I don't have a PDF version where I scan the text of the Travis biography - so I'm offering the below question to anyone who knows the answer ready on hand.

neo1011 wrote:
Can anyone confirm for me if The Man Who album's opening & closing tracks use of the lyric WONDERWALL is an ode or insult to Oasis?!?!

Sorry Nell, too many like minded Britpop lovers on this forum. Only thing missing is a four way comparison between Blur/Coldplay/Oasis/Travis.

Nell wrote:
I didn't want it to become a Travis vs. Oasis thread I just took them as an example.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 1:07 PM Quote
neo1011 wrote:
Nell wrote:
Error_!

You mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafTAU5NW1I ?!?! If I find a hint of meaning in that comedy sketch, there me must be an Error_!?!?

It was JUST a double post due to this stupid Error_1!-message most of us get these past days!!!
neo1011 wrote:

Anyway, back to the original question. I solemnly swear we were rolling along with the Oasis topic vis-a-vis Travis quite nicely- hence my question.

I don't have a PDF version where I scan the text of the Travis biography - so I'm offering the below question to anyone who knows the answer ready on hand.

neo1011 wrote:
Can anyone confirm for me if The Man Who album's opening & closing tracks use of the lyric WONDERWALL is an ode or insult to Oasis?!?!

Again: Ode. As far as can recall; Fran once said - because those songs were important or very present while in his life while, he wrote that songs.
neo1011 wrote:

Sorry Nell, too many like minded Britpop lovers on this forum. Only thing missing is a four way comparison between Blur/Coldplay/Oasis/Travis.

Nell wrote:
I didn't want it to become a Travis vs. Oasis thread I just took them as an example.

This still isn't a comparison-thread...it's still about the personality - not a "which band is better" thread...
Oasis was and still is just a perfect example of bloody miserable behaviour. Music aside!! Their music may be brilliant! Goes for Lady Gaga, all the bad-boy-bling-bling-rappers, Amy W., and loooooooooots of looooooooots of other bands as well.

It's about their personality an how that affected their PR/being known/famosity
Wasn't it Dougie who said any press is a good press..well that way you get known. Well not known- but people start memorising their name...
I still am glad that they're not known for spitting at fans, going on stage drunk etc.
Fran, I think, like 10 years ago, once said that would be disrespectful (..going drunk on stage). And it kinda is.
But being a "bad boy" is more interesting for the press - hence more people know the name Travis - hence more records are being sold.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 1:22 PM Quote
neo1011 wrote:
Nell wrote:
Error_!

It was JUST a double post due to this stupid Error_1!-message most of us get these past days!!!
neo1011 wrote:

neo1011 wrote:

Again: Ode. As far as can recall; Fran once said - because those songs were important or very present while in his life while, he wrote that songs.
neo1011 wrote:

Nell wrote:

This still isn't a comparison-thread...it's still about the personality - not a "which band is better" thread...
Oasis was and still is just a perfect example of bloody miserable behaviour. Music aside!! Their music may be brilliant! Goes for Lady Gaga, all the bad-boy-bling-bling-rappers, Amy W., and loooooooooots of looooooooots of other bands as well.

Wasn't it Dougie who said any press is a good press..well that way you get known. Well not known- but people start memorising their name...
I still am glad that they're not known for spitting at fans, going on stage drunk etc.
Fran, I think, like 10 years ago, once said that would be disrespectful (..going drunk on stage). And it kinda is.
But being a "bad boy" is more interesting for the press - hence more people know the name Travis - hence more records are being sold.

Nell
Error_1!

Nell
neo1011 wrote:
Nell wrote:
Error_!

neo1011 wrote:

neo1011 wrote:

neo1011 wrote:

Nell wrote:

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 5:22 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Agreed

Agreed

Disagree. Ok, Oasis, or whoever, make news when they trash a hotel, and Pete Doherty, or whoever, when they're all drugged up in public. But it's the same old situation, simply explained - Not enough "good" publicity from the Travis camp, hence less sales. Certainly here in the UK.

Somewhere along the line, the Travis publicity machine went pear shaped. Whatever you say about Oasis, they had plenty of good publicity as well as bad. While Travis went lacking.

Someone said earlier that the band is being compared with all the main Britpop acts. I don't compare them with Blur/ Oasis/ Coldplay etc. Each are different, and I do prefer Travis to all the above. The bands I compare them to, personality and music-wise, are Elbow and Athlete.

Personality wise, all are peace loving, and certainly not of the Liam genre. But mainly because their music inspires me. Having said that, with the Travis decline in the UK over recent years, Elbow and Athlete have, more than anything, taken Travis' place, because I can see them live and be inspired by them. Sorry but the same can't be said for my much missed Travis.

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 8:37 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Disagree. Ok, Oasis, or whoever, make news when they trash a hotel, and Pete Doherty, or whoever, when they're all drugged up in public. But it's the same old situation, simply explained - Not enough "good" publicity from the Travis camp, hence less sales. Certainly here in the UK.

Well...who did the PR before? The management? The record label?
Cos I think after parting from Independiente they totally concentrated on the music and left the PR aside. Beside their homepage of course. But no no-Travis fan would show up here..so the "normal" folks out there probably just forgot about them....
I mean the only reason I know what Lady Gaga, Rhianna, and co. is up to is because of these billboards all around me.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 7:13 AM