Travis

The 17/06 Oslo concert review (Travis played "U16 Girls"!)
Are
Are Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 12:50 AM Quote
Hi everybody! First a short introduction as this is my first post/review on this site, although the site is very familiar to me. My name is Are, age 25, I bought my first Travis album in 2000, and I've been to 4 concerts with this one tonight. First the Oslo concert november 12th 2001, and then both Oslo concerts december 5th/6th 2003 (There was a exclusive invitation-only gig at 2am december 6th, after the regular concert, but I managed to get one ticket).

Two hours ago we came home from what I believe was the best "regular" Travis gig I've been to, after the exclusive one. Tonight was special for me, as me and my brother have wanted to hear "U16 Girls" after not hearing it live since 2001, and I knew Travis has dumped the song for "The Humpty Dumpty Love Song" on many concerts since the start of June. I managed to peak at the setlist as the crew taped them to the floor before the concert (We were at maximum 1 metre/3 foot from the fence, and right in between Fran and Andy), and I saw that they would not play U16 Girls tonight either.

Sometime during the main set, Fran started on one of his many stories in between songs, and I screamed out "Hey Fran!" interupting his story, and he stopped and gave me attention, and I continiued: "Would you ple-e-a-a-se, ple-e-e-e-e-a-se play "U16 Girls"?". He quickly answered, without hesitation, knowing it's not on the set list: "We'll play that one later on." And I couldn't believe what I had managed to do, I turned around, looked on my brother, his girlfriend, his friend, and one girl whom I work with - just shocked what I just had made the band decide to do! People were turning around to me saying things like, "good song selection", "that's awesome", among other things. From there on, everything seemed magical, this concert were going to be even better than what I had expected! Two fellow fans two metres to my right, had a homemade poster saying "U16", which they showed to Fran after my little song request (followed by a thumbs-up to me) and numerous times throughout the rest of the concert, reminding the band their promise!

(Yeah, it was me screaming... Did you hear me too?)

No need to say, considering who will read this (fellow Travis fans), the concert was outstanding, high-up-in-the-sky-kind-of-concert!

One other funny thing, as I've read a long time ago, that during the Travis concert at the Quart festival in southern Norway some years ago, it started raining during "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" after having not rained earlier that day. So since it had rained earlier today, but not during the concert, my brother screamed out: "Fran! Turn on the rain effect!" right before the song started, refering to the comment during that song on that very concert, which the newspapers has printed, where Fran supposedly said something like "we don't need the rain effect now" after it started pouring down. So after my brother's comment, Fran (of course) replied to my brother's comment.

So what happened next tonight? Midway throught "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?", it started raing small, small raindrops, making me (and I'm sure, many others too) feeling very fresh as I was boiling inside, after singing, clapping, and screaming non-stop for one and a half hour.

There were only highlights tonight, too many to write here!

The End...

So to sum up, the set list was not like the songs actually played, as "U16 Girls" was missing from the set list. These are the songs actually played (The same songs and order as Amsterdam):

Jean
Eyes Wide Open
WTRY
LWCT
AYA
My Eyes
PD
Side
Driftwood
GF
Closer
Sing
Battleships
AIWTDIS
Turn
---
FITW
THDLS
U16 Girls
WDIAROM

Please note: As I've also posted this in the tour archive, something bad happened which caused som very odd word wrapping. I'm sorry, and if you're a moderator or webmaster, please fix it for me as I can't edit that post.

Re: The 17/06 Oslo concert review (Travis played
happy_me
happy_me Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:52 AM Quote
I'm still shaking from last night, I need a foot transplant after all the jumping.

*edit*
Now I've also put up a review!

HermiG
HermiG Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 6:17 PM Quote
I've put up a review, too. Not a very good one, though, as I didn't have much to compare it with. :D

It was fantastic. I want a time machine!

lulu07
lulu07 Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 9:23 PM Quote
What's PD, GF and THDLS??????????????????????

flower_in_the_window
flower_in_the_window Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 9:26 PM Quote
lulu07 wrote:

Pipe Dreams
Good Feeling
The Humpty Dumpty Love Song

:)

lulu07
lulu07 Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
flower_in_the_window wrote:
lulu07 wrote:

Pipe Dreams
Good Feeling
The Humpty Dumpty Love Song

:)

Thanks I was racking (wracking?) my brains out

Mari1901
Mari1901 Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:16 PM Quote
I loved, loved, loved the concert:D I was dancing and clapping the whole time! The best concert I've been to!

juskho
juskho Posted Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:17 PM Quote
Hah!
Hello there!
Your family sure likes to scream aye? ;)
Great to hear you had a good time though!
And thanks for adding me to your friends!
I`m Julie btw :P

vivian
vivian Posted Tue 19 Jun, 2007 8:12 PM Quote
'Twas an awesome evening: First Brian Wilson & then Travis! Doesn't get a whole lot better :)
Heh, at concerts you hear people shouting song titles all the time and I thought it was nice to hear someone ask so politely :P Nice manners, Are! And I'm glad they played the song as well, it rocked.

lishag
lishag Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:58 AM Quote
I attended the concert in Oslo as well. But I wondered if you could help me, Are or anyone :)

Fran wore this t-shirt saying "needs in life" and there was Jaffa cakes (haha!) and two other things which I can't remember! Does any of you?

Lisa.

Edel
Edel Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:56 PM Quote
lishag wrote:
I attended the concert in Oslo as well. But I wondered if you could help me, Are or anyone :)

Fran wore this t-shirt saying "needs in life" and there was Jaffa cakes (haha!) and two other things which I can't remember! Does any of you?

Lisa.

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/images/covers/T00198-300.jpg

lishag
lishag Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 2:47 PM Quote
Edel wrote:
lishag wrote:

Lisa.

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/images/covers/T00198-300.jpg

Thanks! ;D

Are
Are Posted Wed 04 Jul, 2007 10:15 PM Quote
lishag wrote:

Lisa.

Sorry I never answered, but at least you got the answer. Funny shirt!!!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 6:43 AM