JD Salinger has passed away.
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 28 Jan, 2010 6:25 PM Quote
New York Times

Dubz

Re: JD Salinger has passed away.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:17 PM Quote
I read "Catcher," when I was a couple years too young. It didn't do anything for me. I took it out and read it again when I was 17 or 18, and I felt I could really relate to it. Then in college, we were asked to read it again, but from the psychiatrist's point of view, not Holden's. It was like reading a different book. Holden wasn't a hero that time, he was a confused, depressed kid. The few people in the class who had never read it as teens didn't like it at all. I think you have to catch it at the right age for it to make an impact on you and to identify with Holden's character.

As for Salinger, he sounds like a nasty, misanthropic guy and perhaps it's a good thing he locked himself away from us all.

Lord_Conker
Lord_Conker Posted Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:29 PM Quote
I heard he had allowed unpublished stuff of his to be released after his death, that should be pretty interesting.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:42 PM Quote
Lord_Conker wrote:
I heard he had allowed unpublished stuff of his to be released after his death, that should be pretty interesting.

Yes, will it be genius or madness? Or start off genius and progress to madness? What do years of isolation due to a person? Hmmmmmm....

According to his daughter, he got into drinking his own urine. Ew.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 28 Jan, 2010 8:09 PM Quote
I read it when I lived in Germany in my English class. For me it was more about being amused by the teacher's misinformation about America and American pronunciation. I liked the book but did not think he was a hero. He just seemed lost.

I also remember that I had a censored book. Remember how he kept seeing F*** you written everywhere? Well in my book it just said - you and it took me awhile to catch on to what - stood for. I was so confused as to why seeing - you irritated him so much.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 28 Jan, 2010 8:17 PM Quote
In some ways, I think it's like "The Breakfast Club." You have to be right there for it to speak to you. Otherwise, it's still enjoyable, but you're on the outside looking in.

I've read his other books, too. Franny & Zooey and I think the other was a collection of short storioes??? I don't recall much about either of them.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:56 AM Quote
to me catcher in the rye was a ok read in high schoool but after that i didn't care for it on re reading it. I also noticed that the people who were older who keeept going on about catcher when they were older were kinda psycho ..so i kinda kept away from most of his books.

Aletways
Aletways Posted Fri 29 Jan, 2010 6:49 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I read "Catcher," when I was a couple years too young. It didn't do anything for me. I took it out and read it again when I was 17 or 18, and I felt I could really relate to it. Then in college, we were asked to read it again, but from the psychiatrist's point of view, not Holden's. It was like reading a different book. Holden wasn't a hero that time, he was a confused, depressed kid. The few people in the class who had never read it as teens didn't like it at all. I think you have to catch it at the right age for it to make an impact on you and to identify with Holden's character.

I read it when I was 16/17 and a couple of years ago I started reading it in English, and noticed right away that I wasn't going to enjoy it as much as I did when I was a teenager, so I dropped it. I agree with you, it's a great book if you read it at the right age.

I also read some of the stories in Nine Stories as a teenager and I didn't like them.

CatcherInTheRye
CatcherInTheRye Posted Sat 30 Jan, 2010 4:19 AM Quote
I dont know what to say, RIP Mr Salinger from a huge fan :(

Emmy
Emmy Posted Wed 03 Feb, 2010 12:17 AM Quote
[quote="Turtleneck"] I read "Catcher," when I was a couple years too young. It didn't do anything for me. I took it out and read it again when I was 17 or 18, and I felt I could really relate to it. Then in college, we were asked to read it again, but from the psychiatrist's point of view, not Holden's. It was like reading a different book.

Well of course it was! Like music, books can be seen any new perspectives and result in other interpretations in life. Doesn't mean you should dismiss the book altogether. Cather in the Rye. Read it again and gain a new perspective.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 03 Feb, 2010 12:56 AM Quote
Emmy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
I read "Catcher," when I was a couple years too young. It didn't do anything for me. I took it out and read it again when I was 17 or 18, and I felt I could really relate to it. Then in college, we were asked to read it again, but from the psychiatrist's point of view, not Holden's. It was like reading a different book.

Well of course it was! Like music, books can be seen any new perspectives and result in other interpretations in life. Doesn't mean you should dismiss the book altogether. Cather in the Rye. Read it again and gain a new perspective.

I am far from dismissing it. I bought the hardcover and have it in my personal library. I'm just saying that the further away I got from my brooding teenage years, the more objectively I saw Holden.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 7:49 AM